AnvilNext (AC3) Engine

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Looks really good IMO. I may be biased because I've really enjoyed the series as a whole, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4

What do you guys think?

And please, let's keep the Ubi/DRM bashing (appropriate as it may be) out of this thread...creating this to discuss AnvilNext, not politics!

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Looks very cool actually, i'm impressed with the engine. thanks for posting.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I love the dynamic weather and how they show what appears to be in-game footage of the weather affecting the player's ability to interact with the environment (harder to run uphill in snow, e.g.). Definitely have my eye on this one.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Any relation to the Dunia engine used in Far Cry 2?

Good question. Same company so yeah, I think so. In theory it's the next progression. They started with Anvil for AC (and at least one PoP title -- Forgotten Sands I think?), switched to Dunia for FC2, and are now unveiling AnvilNext. Far Cry 3 (slated for December release) will apparently use what they're calling Dunia 2, which I've seen described as a heavily modified version of Dunia on the Ubi forums.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Looks really good IMO. I may be biased because I've really enjoyed the series as a whole, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4

What do you guys think?

And please, let's keep the Ubi/DRM bashing (appropriate as it may be) out of this thread...creating this to discuss AnvilNext, not politics!

Looks exactly the same as the other engine to me....

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I think it's hard to get a real sense for the improvements to AI and the number of NPCs you can simultaneously interact with until we can play it, but those huge battle scenes look a lot more interactive than the mindlessly shuffling crowds in the cities of the previous titles. And the dynamic weather (snow, wind, water on the boat levels, etc.) and dual-wield system (plus other new combat mechanics) are also obvious changes from the old engine. They also boast about more than 1,000 new animations for the player character, although most of what they showed in the video (especially in the tree-running/swinging scenes) looks awesome, but similar to the old titles.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One thing that disappointed me about AC on the PC is that it didn't really look that much better than on the console. I went from playing AC2 on the 360 to playing AC:B on the PC, and all I really gained was anti-aliasing and some fancier graphic effects. When you're sitting really close up (like you are on a PC), it's easier to notice the lack of polygons in the models. It threw me off just seeing that Ezio's cape was so stiff (lack of polygons).

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
One thing that disappointed me about AC on the PC is that it didn't really look that much better than on the console. I went from playing AC2 on the 360 to playing AC:B on the PC, and all I really gained was anti-aliasing and some fancier graphic effects. When you're sitting really close up (like you are on a PC), it's easier to notice the lack of polygons in the models. It threw me off just seeing that Ezio's cape was so stiff (lack of polygons).

True, but the flags in the new trailer look, amazing, so hopefully Conner's cloak will this time around as well.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Hrm you're right that does look pretty rigid. Was thinking more of the British flag on the right here.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hrm you're right that does look pretty rigid. Was thinking more of the British flag on the right here.

Seeing all those British flags waving like that makes me wonder... was it really always that windy in colonial America? :p

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Looks great. I am even more impressed by the fact that this is not another sycophantic American USA pumping propaganda campaign the likes of MW3, BF3, AC revelation ect ect ect I am getting real sick of the media trying to shove fascism down my throat LOL.

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010
Looks great. I am even more impressed by the fact that this is not another sycophantic American USA pumping propaganda campaign the likes of MW3, BF3, AC revelation ect ect ect I am getting real sick of the media trying to shove fascism down my throat LOL.

@ Bold :confused:

happysmiles

May 1, 2012
well its good to see companies squeezing the most out of consoles.
I was thinking about it today, from 2002 to 2007 the sheer difference in graphics

but the same 5 years from 2007 to 2012....not so much.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I'm a little overloaded with AC gameplay. Played through AC2 and Brotherhood, and just got Revelations on Steam, but can't seem to want to finish it. Same overally gameplay, even with the added extras... getting a bit boring.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
So is Conner like immortal and it's the same Conner from Highlander and he's fighting to be the one in the same style as Mel Gibson in The Patriot?