Anti-ACORN filmmaker arrested

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Wow, this story just broke on POLITICO. Seems James O'Keefe, self-described "progressive radical," and one of the filmmakers that did the undercover stories on ACORN, was caught breaking into Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu's office in New Orleans.

Four guys were involved, tried to gain access to the phone system there.

While this guy was a hero for breaking the ACORN story, he seems to be a tool in this attempt. Look for fireworks and Watergate comparisons to come.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/32035.html

Anti-ACORN filmmaker arrested

By: Manu Raju
January 26, 2010 04:01 PM EST

Federal authorities have arrested four men on felony charges for attempting to infiltrate Sen. Mary Landrieu’s New Orleans office, including one filmmaker who targeted the community group ACORN last year in undercover videos.

Among those arrested was 25-year-old James O’Keefe, the conservative filmmaker, along with Joseph Basel, Robert Flanagan and Stan Dai, all 24. They were charged with entering federal property under false pretenses and attempting to gain access to the Democrat’s office by posing as telephone repairmen, according to a copy of an FBI affidavit unsealed Tuesday.

The complaint said that Flanagan and Basel each entered the premises, wearing light green fluorescent vests, denim paints and blue work shirts, tool belts and hard hats. They informed a member of Landrieu’s staff that they were telephone repairmen and requested access to the main telephone at the reception desk.

At that point, the two men allegedly attempted to manipulate telephones and accessed the telephone closet, saying they needed to work on the entire system. The men, who said they left their credentials in their vehicles, were arrested by the U.S. Marshal’s Service soon afterward.

According to the FBI, the four men could each face up to 10 years and a fine of $250,000 if they are convicted.

O’Keefe made waves last year when he posed as a pimp and taped ACORN employees discussing a prostitution ring, embarrassing the group and forcing many of its supporters to spurn its ties with it.
Here is the FBI press release:
Four Men Arrested for Entering Government Property Under False Pretenses for the Purpose of Committing a Felony

NEW ORLEANS—JOSEPH BASEL, age 24; ROBERT FLANAGAN, age 24; JAMES O’KEEFE, age 25; and STAN DAI, age 24, were charged in a criminal complaint with entering federal property under false pretenses for the purpose of committing a felony, announced the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Louisiana.

According to the complaint, which was unsealed earlier today, the arrest of FLANAGAN, BASEL, O’KEEFE, and DAI took place after BASEL and O’KEEFE attempted to gain access to the New Orleans office of United States Senator Mary Landrieu on January 25, 2010, while posing as telephone repairmen. According to the complaint, FLANAGAN and BASEL were each dressed in blue denim pants, blue work shirts, light green fluorescent vests, tool belts, and construction-style hard hats when they entered the Hale Boggs Federal Building, located at 500 Poydras Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70130. Once in the building, FLANAGAN and BASEL sought access to the offices of Senator Landrieu. O’KEEFE was already present in the office, holding a cellular phone so as to record FLANAGAN and BASEL. Once inside Senator Landrieu’s reception area, FLANAGAN and BASEL told a member of Senator Landrieu’s staff that they were telephone repairmen, and they requested access to the main telephone at the reception desk. FLANAGAN and BASEL then manipulated the telephone system. FLANAGAN and BASEL next requested access to the telephone closet because they needed to perform work on the main telephone system. They were directed to the main office of the United States General Services Administration, also inside the Hale Boggs Federal Building, where they again represented themselves to be employees of the telephone company and stated that they needed to perform repair work in the telephone closet. Both FLANAGAN and BASEL stated that they had left their credentials in their vehicle. In addition, the complaint alleges that O’KEEFE and DAI assisted FLANAGAN and BASEL in the planning, coordination, and preparation of the operation. The men were apprehended by the United States Marshal’s Service soon thereafter.

If convicted, FLANAGAN, BASEL, O’KEEFE, and DAI each face a maximum term of 10 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, and three (3) years of supervised release following any term of imprisonment.

The United States Attorney’s Office reiterated that the complaint is merely a charge and that the guilt of the defendant must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

The investigation is being conducted by Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Deputy Marshals with the United States Marshal’s Service. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Jordan Ginsberg.
UPDATE: 4:55 p.m. EST

A spokesperson from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana said that the four defendants were arrested yesterday. They made their initial court appearance today and were released on $10,000 unsecured bonds. The spokesperson declined to say if the office would seek the maximum penalty if the defendants are found guilty.

None of the defendants commented on the allegations in court.

"It was poor judgment," Robert Flanagan's lawyer, Garrison Jordan, said in a brief interview outside the courthouse. "I don't think there was any intent or motive to commit a crime."

UPDATE 5:41 p.m. EST
Statement from Andrew Breitbart, who broke the ACORN story on BigGovernment.com:

“We have no knowledge about or connection to any alleged acts and events involving James O’Keefe at Senator Mary Landrieu’s office. We only just learned about the alleged incident this afternoon. We have no information other than what has been reported publicly by the press. Accordingly, we simply are not in a position to make any further comment.”

James O'Keefe came out with a statement January 29th -

http://biggovernment.com/2010/01/29/statement-from-james-okeefe/

Statement from James O’Keefe

by James O'Keefe

The government has now confirmed what has always been clear: no one tried to wiretap or bug Senator Landrieu’s office. Nor did we try to cut or shut down her phone lines. Reports to this effect over the past 48 hours are inaccurate and false.

As an investigative journalist, my goal is to expose corruption and lack of concern for citizens by government and other institutions, as I did last year when our investigations revealed the massive corruption and fraud perpetuated by ACORN. For decades, investigative journalists have used a variety of tactics to try to dig out and reveal the truth.

I learned from a number of sources that many of Senator Landrieu’s constituents were having trouble getting through to her office to tell her that they didn’t want her taking millions of federal dollars in exchange for her vote on the healthcare bill. When asked about this, Senator Landrieu’s explanation was that, “Our lines have been jammed for weeks.” I decided to investigate why a representative of the people would be out of touch with her constituents for “weeks” because her phones were broken. In investigating this matter, we decided to visit Senator Landrieu’s district office – the people’s office – to ask the staff if their phones were working.

On reflection, I could have used a different approach to this investigation, particularly given the sensitivities that people understandably have about security in a federal building. The sole intent of our investigation was to determine whether or not Senator Landrieu was purposely trying to avoid constituents who were calling to register their views to her as their Senator. We video taped the entire visit, the government has those tapes, and I’m eager for them to be released because they refute the false claims being repeated by much of the mainstream media.

It has been amazing to witness the journalistic malpractice committed by many of the organizations covering this story. MSNBC falsely claimed that I violated a non-existent “gag order.” The Associated Press incorrectly reported that I “broke in” to an office which is open to the public. The Washington Post has now had to print corrections in two stories on me. And these are just a few examples of inaccurate and false reporting. The public will judge whether reporters who can’t get their facts straight have the credibility to question my integrity as a journalist.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, very dumb. Federal pound me in the ass prison right there just for tampering with the lines. How utterly stupid. What the hell were you thinking!!!?

-edit-
earily watergate-ish. Amatuer, if you want to tape the lines you do it outside the premise.

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Hope he gets the max...a crime is a crime. And this guy's no hero, he's a political hack criminal, looking for fame.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Wonder what effect this will have on the other case against him and his partner. Sure can't be good, he may drag the hotty down with him.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
From a CBS story -

According to a federal affidavit, O'Keefe admitted to working with three other men: Joseph Basel, Robert Flanagan and Stan Dai to pose as telephone repairmen and gain access to Senator Mary Landrieu's (D-LA)office in New Orleans.

Court documents show that while O'Keefe sat in the Senator's waiting room, Flanagan and Basel entered the federal building in what appeared to be telephone repairmen uniforms, "blue denim pants, a blue work shirt, a light fluorescent green vest, a tool belt, and carrying white, construction-style hard hat." They then allegedly asked to fiddle with the phones in Landrieu's office while O'Keefe filmed them with his cell phone.

After Basel allegedly took the handset off the reception phone and manipulated it, Basel and Flanagan asked to see the main telephone system according to court documents. When asked for identification, the two said they were employees of a telephone company and had left their credentials in their truck.

A receptionist at Landrieu's office was asked how they were caught and told CBS, "Let's just say the outfits were less than convincing."

Landrieu's spokesperson Aaron Saunders put out a statement saying, "Because the details of yesterday’s incident are part of an ongoing investigation by federal authorities, our office cannot comment at this time.”

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
From New Orleans Times-Picayune -

Alleging a plot to tamper with phones in Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu's office in the Hale Boggs Federal Building in downtown New Orleans, the FBI arrested four people Monday, including James O'Keefe, 25, a conservative filmmaker whose undercover videos at ACORN field offices severely damaged the advocacy group's credibility.

Also arrested were Joseph Basel, Stan Dai and Robert Flanagan, all 24. Flanagan is the son of William Flanagan, who is the acting U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Louisiana, the office confirmed. All four were charged with entering federal property under false pretenses with the intent of committing a felony.

According to the FBI affidavit, Flanagan and Basel entered the federal building at 500 Poydras Street about 11 a.m. Monday, dressed as telephone company employees, wearing jeans, fluorescent green vests, tool belts, and hard hats. When they arrived at Landrieu's 10th floor office, O'Keefe was already in the office and had told a staffer he was waiting for someone to arrive.

When Flanagan and Basel entered the office, they told the staffer they were there to fix phone problems. At that time, the staffer, referred to only as Witness 1 in the affadavit, observed O'Keefe positioning his cell phone in his hand to videotape the operation. O'Keefe later admitted to agents that he recorded the event.

After being asked, the staffer gave Basel access to the main phone at the reception desk. The staffer told investigators that Basel manipulated the handset. He also tried to call the main office phone using his cell phone, and said the main line wasn't working. Flanagan did the same.

They then told the staffer they needed to perform repair work on the main phone system and asked where the telephone closet was located. The staffer showed the men to the main General Services Administration office on the 10th floor, and Flanagan and Basel went in. There, a GSA employee asked for the men's credentials, after which they stated they left them in their vehicle.

The U.S. Marshal's Service apprehended all four men shortly thereafter.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
He should get the same punishment as the Martins did for illegally intercepting and recording Newt Gingrich's cell phone.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Pretty stupid. They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

That being said, this shouldn't be used to justify further funding to ACORN (but it will be)

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I wonder if they have any other inside info that will come out shortly.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Hopefully they will rat out the RNC...would love to see them behind this...or better yet, being funded by Faux News. ;)

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Now don't forget to follow the money.
Anyone this stupid is gonna leave a trail right to fox and buddies.
bwahahah.jpg

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
What's funny is reading the comments @ Faux news's website...they're all saying they were set up. How quick they are to defend a federal criminal.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
He should get the same punishment as the Martins did for illegally intercepting and recording Newt Gingrich's cell phone.

LOL That's a good point, but there have to be rules for someone. I say throw the book at them, although it is sad that Democrats doing such things never seem to actually suffer punishment.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
The guy is a nancy, putting him in with Hardened criminals would be a death sentence, or at least a sentenced to an enlarged asshole. He should be labeled a felon and be put in a Minimum Security facility with the other Republi..err White Collar Criminals.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
What's funny is reading the comments @ Faux news's website...they're all saying they were set up. How quick they are to defend a federal criminal.

I am sticking by my original post.

They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what facts come out in the days to come. I find it hard to believe that the case is as clear cut as is being reported right now. You would have to be incredibly stupid to do what he is being accused of doing.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I am sticking by my original post.

They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what facts come out in the days to come. I find it hard to believe that the case is as clear cut as is being reported right now. You would have to be incredibly stupid to do what he is being accused of doing.

Or KNOW the risk was worth the reward.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Consider that it took weeks for the ACORN expose to get any MSM coverage at all. Now consider this story gets literally hundreds of news sources publishing within one hour of it breaking.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
My comment is that is just the start of the story as a bunch of 25 somethings bunglers get caught big time. You can bet that the prosecutors will hone in on who put them up to their brainfart, and I start to wonder if it will reach high up into the GOP leadership. I doubt any of them are G. Gordan Liddy strong but silent types who now face serious jail time. Will they fink for a reduced sentence?

Dare we hope? Right now I have no idea, but whom else will get snared? Where is Judge Sharica when we need him again?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Consider that it took weeks for the ACORN expose to get any MSM coverage at all. Now consider this story gets literally hundreds of news sources publishing within one hour of it breaking.
LOL, it's a conspiracy:D:D:D

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
My comment is that is just the start of the story as a bunch of 25 somethings bunglers get caught big time. You can bet that the prosecutors will hone in on who put them up to their brainfart, and I start to wonder if it will reach high up into the GOP leadership. I doubt any of them are G. Gordan Liddy strong but silent types who now face serious jail time. Will they fink for a reduced sentence?

Dare we hope? Right now I have no idea, but whom else will get snared? Where is Judge Sharica when we need him again?

What is it that you hope for, and why is it that you hope for that?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Yea, almost like there is a difference in something involving an actual crime.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

While O'Keefe and Giles were applauded by conservatives and reformers alike for the ACORN expose, it was apparent they were independent, and amateurish, operators.

Andrew Breitbart, when approached by them, advised them to break the story sequentially for greater mileage, but the work was all done before he got access to it.

O'Keefe has pulled stunts before, even while in college, and likes to refer to the Saul Alinsky playbook. His VeritasVisuals.com WWW site went black a few days/weeks ago, otherwise I could link to his other work.

O'Keefe's projects may play well to the conservative, the reformist and the joker crowds, but he is too much of a merry prankster to be in with the serious politicos.