Question Anthem

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone playing it for the PC? Not getting great reviews on this platform.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
-At least we still have Obsidian, until Microsoft demands to cash that check...

Microsoft might be good for Obsidian. Obsidian doesn't have huge sales numbers, so Microsoft isn't looking to cash in by moving a lot of units or through micro-transactions. They bought Obsidian for quality first person titles. I think they'll be more of a benefit because they can afford to give the company extra breathing room to polish their games (Imagine how much better New Vegas would have sold if it weren't so buggy on launch.) and can even drive sales by featuring their games as Xbox exclusives during Microsoft events.

It'll probably go south in the long run, especially once Obsidian gets a few successes and there's pressure to crank out sequels, but I think it's a good move for both companies for now.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I had such high hopes for the game. There is not a single review out there that pushes me to get this game. I really did want Bioware to survive. So many of my amazing young gaming moments are linked with it. You can see that they have put in so much effort. Maybe a single player campaign with a super story that Bioware was once famous for and without the grindy loot and shoot elements would've done much better? Who really knows these days though?

Last edited:

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
After putting 92 hours into it I'd change my 7 to a 6.5. Anthem runs into the same problem that almost every other game as service looter/shooter/ARPG has, a lack of loot. The combat and world are fantastic in this game though I wish it was a little more active in free play. Honestly it just needs to be one large world where all the quests are active instead of reinstanced again and again. The story is a good start though there needs to be far more story driven dialogue. I need a history lesson or a reason to care. It all comes back to the loot though. It simply doesn't drop. Loot not dropping in this genre will make any activity repetitive and a chore to finish. Knowing there's a high probability of no reward means I spend my gaming time on something that does provide that feeling.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I thought they increased something with a loot update on Feb 28th. Odd I guess but I also realized the division 2 beta changed a bit with more spongier enemies. I kept dying on a side mission where in the past beta I finished all side missions. Division 2 seems to have more content but anthem just seems more interesting yet it doesn't have enough content I suppose.

I want to get one of the game's but I don't know which I'll enjoy more.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea that's a tough one... because after the first hour or so of loving Anthem I could already tell that I was already losing interest. The dated feel of the combat and limited loot really hurts the overall experience and the mission objectives are so rudimentary that it's borderline insulting at times. I've had some exciting moments and encounters, but players shouldn't need to try so hard to make things interesting on their own. The map also looks nice but it's ultimately sort of boring. I have a little buyer's remorse I guess but not enough to want to refund it.

I haven't touched anything Division 2 related but I did sink some hours into the first one on PS4. I'm not sure I'll play the sequel and I wasn't around to try the open beta--so I'll likely rely on the reviews before jumping into anything.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea that's a tough one... because after the first hour or so of loving Anthem I could already tell that I was already losing interest. The dated feel of the combat and limited loot really hurts the overall experience and the mission objectives are so rudimentary that it's borderline insulting at times. I've had some exciting moments and encounters, but players shouldn't need to try so hard to make things interesting on their own. The map also looks nice but it's ultimately sort of boring. I have a little buyer's remorse I guess but not enough to want to refund it.

I haven't touched anything Division 2 related but I did sink some hours into the first one on PS4. I'm not sure I'll play the sequel and I wasn't around to try the open beta--so I'll likely rely on the reviews before jumping into anything.
The division 2 beta is extended until tomorrow 10 am central time. Try it out if you want. If you played the first one and I also did on PS4, this one is similar but the AI is much better, the cover mechanics are better. The menu is atrocious, the side missions are plenty too. But still have a feeling I'll get bored of it. It's actually pretty tough if you don't level up before doing side missions.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
welp this game is dead...
I was trying it out on my Origin Premier, and like no one is on in the matchmaking.
I dont think the division even died out this fast the first run, and destiny 2 also held our pretty well compared to Anthem.

Reminds me of battleborn, and how fast it also died out.
GG Bioware.... i think EA will be shutting your doors down soon.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
welp this game is dead...
I was trying it out on my Origin Premier, and like no one is on in the matchmaking.
I dont think the division even died out this fast the first run, and destiny 2 also held our pretty well compared to Anthem.

Reminds me of battleborn, and how fast it also died out.
GG Bioware.... i think EA will be shutting your doors down soon.

I know nobody that has played this game that still does, most lasted 2-3 weeks at best.
Bad news though, EA are doubling down on Bioware making "Games as a Service" and not letting them make RPG's, arguably a worse fate than shutting their doors.

EA really living up to their nasty rep.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I wanted to get it but I kept watching the Reddit community and all the bugs that were posted as well as issue with character progression and upgrades, loot, etc. Didn't look like they ever balanced it out and patched it up completely. It's ashame because it looked like it had potential. They even went as far as putting job postings for loot designers and devs specifically for anthem months after it was out.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I noticed that it got an update recently but I haven't played it in months; I'll probably just uninstall it.

One of EA's biggest letdowns ever, and there's been a lot of them so Anthem is quite remarkable in that sense.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Whats funny is i think you can get better match making in ME:Andromeda even.
Thats really sad, considering everyone said ME:A was a failed ME series.

They honestly should of just made Anthem a continuation of ME:A with mech suits and biotics.
Even the grinding for cash and then loot boxes would of probably saved this game for gear progression.
I honestly think someone tried to get greedy and pump the cash shop out, but was halted mid way, hence why we didnt get loot.

Its the complete opposite of Division, where 95% of the plentiful loot you got was absolutely worthless and artificially pumped your gear score, while 5% of was the only viable stuff you looked for and really mattered.