Question Anthem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone playing it for the PC? Not getting great reviews on this platform.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The game sucks. Pure and simple. Should be avoided like a plague until they start selling it for $10-20. It basically more of the same crap. Just like Destiny 2.

yeah this is what i am worried about....
I am tired of EA and Bioware rushing stuff out only to find an excuse to release a DLC and make us pay more for feature that should of been included in the original.

And i was not happy i had paid full price for ME:A only to realize the entire franchise will be discontinued in favor of Anthem.

Reactions: NTMBK

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Told myself that I'd wake up early to try it out before work but of course that didn't happen. Sounds like a total mess but since I've already preloaded it I intend to give it a whirl; refund if necessary.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I've been on the fence. On one hand reviews seem to say this game is good and bad...and needs a lot more content and work. On the other hand I have a good friend who has been playing it this past week and he cannot stop talking about how great it is. He is a total PVP fan who rarely if ever plays anything that is not PVP....so his love of the game throws me off a bit.

I can't bring myself to buy the game though after reading so many poor reviews this morning. I mean I suppose I could buy it and refund it...not sure if I should even waste my SSD space though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I haven't bought it yet either. Not sure if I will. I liked the alpha. But again I have a feeling it will just get super repetitive. Once you stop playing and others are advanced ahead of you it will be hard to play with others. Randoms will drop out of a squad, and you will be left to do the mission yourself. Has happened before to me and it was annoying.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think this would be the game to play for PvP, considering what else is out there at the moment, but as someone who played the hell out of Destiny 2 and also enjoyed Fallout 76 for a short time, I'm simply not looking at a lot of review material until I can play it for myself for at least a few hours. The only time I'll get to do that is tonight so if anyone wants to add me my name on Origin is the same.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Oh boy, reading some of these reviews does not bode well.

I was really hoping Bioware made it a point to include at least 20-30 hours of solid SP content even if the world eventually opens up to pvp/pve multiplayer content along the way.

Bioware did a fairly decent job integrating MP into ME:A (via strike teams) so the dream was alive, but looks like they went all in on MP here.

Maybe a bargain bin purchase or a "GOTY" edition purchase after they've rebalanced and patched to support and include SP content.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Most of the reviews are bad but reading users impressions, a lot of them like it and are enjoying it. I'm basing this off of the anthem Reddit section. Yes there are bugs and issues but the majority of them are having fun.

Thing is most of these people are probably playing with groups of friends which is the whole point why it would be a lot more entertaining than going at it solo with random players.

I would want to play but with games like these and the division 2 having a similar concept I only play so much of this style before I get bored of it. This is due to the fact that most of my friends have consoles and/or don't plan on getting this game. One friend thinks he's going to get it for PS4.

I had fun in the alpha but I could see how it could get boring after a while. If you aren't the type to enjoy these online type of games then it's probably only good for a certain amount of time.

My reaction is to wait until it gets some more patches and content then try it out at that time. Perhaps they may have a sale on it since a lot of the reviews were negative.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm having fun with it too and you certainly get a "what if Bioware did Destiny" vibe from the visual style. The movement is great but the combat is kind of stale and feels dated.

The lore is also meh... like it's way too fantastical. Certainly a lot to like though and I found the first handful of expeditions to be quite thrilling. I'm playing an Interceptor class Jav.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
It's a decent 7/10.

The good stuff - A great world to play in. They did wonders with the map design. The more I fly around, realize the things I can do and discover new things reminds me of how I felt about the world in Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's far more varied and dense than it seems. The combat is good, fast paced and pretty. New javelins and gear keep it decently fresh. New conent is suppose to be free with more story coming next month, March 2019 (we'll see)

The OK stuff - Gear has some of the same shortcomings as The Division, there's not a lot of hand holding on stats and numbers. The story opens great, 10 min in drops off a cliff and then builds itself up. The random people you interact with all seem broken personality wise (not a bug or bad writing). They are all awkward as can be but they grow on you and some tell some interesting stories. I haven't seem anything that 100% changes the narrative from my playthrough.

The bad stuff - The menu's are terrible with a mouse. The menu layout is straight up smartphone. More loading screens than I would like, put this on your ssd. I've never seen a game take so well to an ssd, freesync as well. Even on a 4670k at 4.7 and an OC R9 390 the wife's system can be a little jittery even with a lot of things on low (textures, filtering, mesh on ultra) and it doesn't seem to be fps related. Actually every friend with a haswell system seems to be affected by this, going to have to give that one some thought. Changed their sound quality to 16 bit 44100hrz in Windows and the issue is corrected.

Overall, with Origin access, the game was $15 for the Legion of Dawn edition. Wife will play it at least until The Division 2 comes out. At that point we'll either buy the years Origin access or not care about it any more. Still, $15 for a months play isn't bad at all. That's the cost of a movie ticket.

Also, this is not a SP game, in any form.

Reactions: Stuka87

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't really have any issues with the UI...?

Though I totally agree with the reviewers who state that after the initial impression, it just goes downhill from there. It was super exciting jumping in for the first time but the repetitive nature and shallow objectives of the missions don't bode well for the game's overall value. In other words, I'm already not nearly as excited jumping into the suit as I was the first handful of times--but there's still some thrills to be had. Also, the "RPG" element of the game so far is deciding between two dialogue options that pop up occasionally. That's kind of laughable and honestly might be infuriating to some people. The loot system is also incredibly rudimentary and feels like a taped-on afterthought.

Overall, this game isn't awful but it certainly isn't Destiny and I think those who are looking for BioWare's return to form (or anything close) should probably just not play it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't really have any issues with the UI...?

Though I totally agree with the reviewers who state that after the initial impression, it just goes downhill from there. It was super exciting jumping in for the first time but the repetitive nature and shallow objectives of the missions don't bode well for the game's overall value. In other words, I'm already not nearly as excited jumping into the suit as I was the first handful of times--but there's still some thrills to be had. Also, the "RPG" element of the game so far is deciding between two dialogue options that pop up occasionally. That's kind of laughable and honestly might be infuriating to some people. The loot system is also incredibly rudimentary and feels like a taped-on afterthought.

Overall, this game isn't awful but it certainly isn't Destiny and I think those who are looking for BioWare's return to form (or anything close) should probably just not play it.
One thing I heard from the reviews was mainly that the AI conversations are very robotic. The loot thing is annoying too without any good loot dropping every now and then. So people have to grind over and over to try and get something nice. With the repetitive nature of the missions it gets boring after a few hours which is why I haven't bought it yet.

It really needs an overhaul and from reading many people's impressions on it, just seems like it wasn't ready to be released yet.

The thing I liked about it in the alpha was the Javelins and cool powers/weapons they have. But after seeing more reviews on it, looks like the weapons all look the same. Just seems sloppy.

JoannYoung

Feb 26, 2019
It was first released for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox, recently launched for the PC not yet try. But according to the reviews, one can not able to go for it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Bought it Friday night, played it Saturday, refunded it Saturday.
Did you buy from origin and do they have like a 2hr play time maximum? I guess there wasn't enough variation.

I will probably end up with the division 2 if it ends up being optimized properly but I normally get bored of these types of games unless I find a decent group to play with.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Did you buy from origin and do they have like a 2hr play time maximum? I guess there wasn't enough variation.

I will probably end up with the division 2 if it ends up being optimized properly but I normally get bored of these types of games unless I find a decent group to play with.

I did. They have a 24 hour return policy once game is launched.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Arh ffs bioware & ea .... ea .... ea .... always sprinkle some ea on it if you want have a guaranteed flop.
Well at least they cant take ME 1,2 and 3 away from us.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've played on and off since it released on Origin Premier. I think the Angry Joe review pretty much sums up my experience. It's just not a good game and lacking in so many areas. Do not pay full price for it.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've played on and off since it released on Origin Premier. I think the Angry Joe review pretty much sums up my experience. It's just not a good game and lacking in so many areas. Do not pay full price for it.

This the one review that made most sense to me. Also ACG mentioned the same thing, wait for a sale or try and get a key for cheap if you can.

I usually don't watch angry Joe reviews since he's always screaming but after watching a few other reviews and then this one, it made sense.

I'll wait until after division 2 to see if they add or change anything. I enjoyed the alpha but I know I'll get bored with the limited loot and content. I got bored of destiny after a while too so we'll see.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
While I have no interest in Anthem, I do have an interest in Bioware continuing to shamble forward so that one day we might get a new Dragon age or Jade empire.

Sorry, but that Bioware is gone. All of the people who made the games the people remember so fondly (Baldur's Gate, KotOR, Dragon Age, etc.) have left the company over the years. All that's really left is a group of strangers riding on the coattails of a once great studio. The kindest thing to do would be to just shut it down in order spare everyone the painful memories.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I am still enjoying it. Playing with randoms isnt bad. Nobody uses the damn chat though. I try every time to voip but nobody is ever one, or wants to talk.

Its not the best game by far, but a break from BFv which dominates my time. Graphics are amazing, controls are much better. Not terribly difficult once you get it down. Enjoyable to me so far. No idea how far I am through the game, just playing when I have time not really just trying to finish it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sorry, but that Bioware is gone. All of the people who made the games the people remember so fondly (Baldur's Gate, KotOR, Dragon Age, etc.) have left the company over the years. All that's really left is a group of strangers riding on the coattails of a once great studio. The kindest thing to do would be to just shut it down in order spare everyone the painful memories.

-At least we still have Obsidian, until Microsoft demands to cash that check...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I am still enjoying it. Playing with randoms isnt bad. Nobody uses the damn chat though. I try every time to voip but nobody is ever one, or wants to talk.

Its not the best game by far, but a break from BFv which dominates my time. Graphics are amazing, controls are much better. Not terribly difficult once you get it down. Enjoyable to me so far. No idea how far I am through the game, just playing when I have time not really just trying to finish it.
Bioware posted on Reddit that they hear about the loot issues and that they will have some sort of communication about the game today. I think I am waiting for a patch list before buying this one. Otherwise if I had it now I would team up with you and play since I do have a decent headset I rarely use. Apparently there is not any good loot for running through several missions over and over and people are getting annoyed. Personally in any multiplayer game that offered legendary gear and such i rarely got because I didn't play that long to get there.

I just want to see some sort of communication that they do plan to patch the game and fix it's issues and content before putting money down on it. Division 2 is out in a few weeks and as much as I'm not such a huge fan of these looter shooter type games, division looks like it's got a lot more content to keep people interested.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Going to try and play tonight if I get home at a reasonable time. The last time I picked it up I only did 1 or 2 expeditions and then roamed around a bit.

What's up with the strongholds though? I did one and we finished it but that one in particular is still the only one I can currently do??

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Bit of a rough go last night for me. Game crashed during the final bit of the swarm nest Stronghold but I was getting pretty rocked anyway. My sound also completely cut out shortly before then but I kept playing because it was nearly over and I didn't want to abandon my squad. I also crashed on an earlier mission but I think that was my video card driver and not the game itself. Overall a messy session (or two, or three) but I plan on at least sticking with it for now.

After paying $60 for it I can definitely attest that the price is too steep for what it is at the moment. It actually resembles the F2P game Warframe and that, which has been out for quite some time, has heaps more content to keep players coming back. Anthem, as many folk report, has potential but it still kind of feels like a beta of something bigger.