Another spending bill already???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Yeah saw this this morning. GWB's massive spending is quickly falling out of sight and being eclipsed. 2-4 years from now we will WISH for his spending.
Do you believe Bush or if elected McCain wouldn't be spending this kind of money now?
Superman was polled yesterday at the Justice League Headquarters. He said he would propose more bailouts.

Emperor Palpatine recommended we shoot it with lasers instead of bailing out.

Jesus Christ did not return our phone calls.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about hypothetical situations... "What Would McCain Do?" sort of thing.
The difference is McCain's real, the other three aren't.

There are many differences comparing McCain to Obama and yet you hint that they would both have the same solution. Has McCain been officially polled? Until that happens, it remains an act of faith and belief that McCain would promote bailouts or not.
Based on his previous actions it's fair to assume he would. The only candidate that wouldn't is Ron Paul.

Still it really sucks that this money is being spent and it's not only the fault of the last Administration but both parties and even the American public.

I'm wondering if a lot of you Republicans would have voted for Ron Paul if they knew things would turn out like this. You all say that we should just let things run their natural course, that's exactly what Congressman Paul believes.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Yeah saw this this morning. GWB's massive spending is quickly falling out of sight and being eclipsed. 2-4 years from now we will WISH for his spending.
Do you believe Bush or if elected McCain wouldn't be spending this kind of money now?
Superman was polled yesterday at the Justice League Headquarters. He said he would propose more bailouts.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about hypothetical situations... "What Would McCain Do?" sort of thing.

There are many differences comparing McCain to Obama and yet you hint that they would both have the same solution. Has McCain been officially polled? Until that happens, it remains an act of faith and belief that McCain would promote bailouts or not.

McCain voted against the porkulus so isn't that "officially polled"?
He voted for TARP which is worse.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I wonder when he will keep his campaign promise if fiscal restraint?

When moderator Bob Schieffer asked Obama what he was going to do about the deficit Obama promised to cut the it: ?But there is no doubt that we?ve been living beyond our means and we?re going to have to make some adjustments. Now, what I?ve done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut.?

And its funny on his own website he claims the problem is increasing debt: Under President Bush, the federal debt has increased from $5.7 trillion to $8.8 trillion, an increase of more than 50 percent.

hahaha this country got sucker punched! And its funny how many fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Now its our turn on the right to point at YOU on the left and expose what idiots YOU all are ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

When moderator Bob Schieffer asked Obama what he was going to do about the deficit Obama promised to cut the it: ?But there is no doubt that we?ve been living beyond our means and we?re going to have to make some adjustments. Now, what I?ve done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut.?

And its funny on his own website he claims the problem is increasing debt: Under President Bush, the federal debt has increased from $5.7 trillion to $8.8 trillion, an increase of more than 50 percent.

hahaha this country got sucker punched! And its funny how many fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Now its our turn on the right to point at YOU on the left and expose what idiots YOU all are ;)
Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black..angst?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Yeah. Its a "real" possibility we're going to have to see what McCain will do with the budget :confused:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Maybe :) It will be fun to watch you apologize for your hero fucking this country up much worse than GWB has. Hell, only a month in office and he's off to a good start!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Maybe :) It will be fun to watch you apologize for your hero fucking this country up much worse than GWB has. Hell, only a month in office and he's off to a good start!
Hey he inherited this mess, you guys have no credibility, the only ones that do are those who supported Congressman Paul.
How would you suggest he fix what GWB fucked up?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Hey he inherited this mess, you guys have no credibility, the only ones that do are those who supported Congressman Paul.

It doesnt matter what *I* would do. Ive stated in many other threads what *I* would do. What matters is how Obama is FUCKING this country in the ass deeper and harder than Bush ever did. Get back to reality, not what if's.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

It doesnt matter what *I* would do. Ive stated in many other threads what *I* would do. What matters is how Obama is FUCKING this country in the ass deeper and harder than Bush ever did. Get back to reality, not what if's.
How do you know he's fucking things up worse, wouldn't he be fucking things up worse if he did nothing?

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm wondering if a lot of you Republicans would have voted for Ron Paul if they knew things would turn out like this. You all say that we should just let things run their natural course, that's exactly what Congressman Paul believes.
Since you have figured out what "we all say" I am interested in your opinions on this. What is your solution? Can I just ram down the stereotypical solution for you instead or should I allow you to voice your own?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
Yeah, this is the bill the Dems shelved until after the election because Bush said he would veto it.

And that changes what? Oh that's right... nothing.

I can't wait for the pork report on this one. It'll likely be a healthy chunck of it from the way it reads now and you know there is likely more yet to uncover.

From your own article, stupid. Do you even read what you post? Or do you just start ranting as soon as you read the headline?

"House Democrats unveiled a $410 billion spending bill on Monday to keep the government running through the end of the fiscal year ... There was no official total of the bill's earmarks, which accounted for at least $3.8 billion."

0.9% in earmarks is worth cranking up the outrage, eh Cad?

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
How do you know he's fucking things up worse, wouldn't he be fucking things up worse if he did nothing?

More hypothetical situations. The problem with making a choice is that for the rest of time, historians will be debating the "What Ifs". Will we ever know if the bailout is a better success then letting the markets run their course? Will we ever know if the bailout was better for homeowners in the long run? No, because we will not have the opportunity to witness the flip side of that choice. It will all be academic at that point, and the debates will continue forever. Would Hoover handle the Great Depression better or worse then FDR?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Since you have figured out what "we all say" I am interested in your opinions on this. What is your solution? Can I just ram down the stereotypical solution for you instead or should I allow you to voice your own?

To be honest, I don't know wtf we should do.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

1) That is the minimum listed so far.
2) Personally, I would prefer to see that number at 0% (regardless of who is in office, I despise pet projects).

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

I am trying to wrap my head around your arguments then. You state that doing nothing would be worse, but how can you make that statement without an opinion on what we should be doing.

For myself, I am actually for Federal projects in the form of the old great public works.

How interesting would it be if the Fed contracted new construction and then sold it to private companies at cost + inflation so that the private companies see an immediate return on investment instead of waiting for the construction to be completed but out the capital.

Build 20 nuke reactors, sell them after completed to private industry. Build umpteen million cell phone towers, sell them to the providers. If the private industry doesn't want them, then the government gets into the power and cell phone business.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

1) That is the minimum listed so far.
2) Personally, I would prefer to see that number at 0% (regardless of who is in office, I despise pet projects).

So you propose freaking out in advance? Or would you prefer to deal with the facts as we know them now? Frankly, I prefer the latter, since the former is pretty GD stupid.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I doubt $410 billion is all "porkulus." It sounds like some of the spending is geared towards programs that suffered through 6-8 years of neglect. And some of the spending makes sense.

And weren't we complaining when the stimulus was being packaged with "pork?" Now that a spending bill (something congress normally does) comes out we are being outraged that it contains..... spending!?

are we really only talking about less than 1% of the spending bill considered as "pork" ??

I think alot of the faux outrage in this thread should be considered GOP pork.

Useless garbage that clogs up the arteries and makes peoples mind lethargic.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

You are out of your motherfucking mind.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The disaster that was Bush may have destroyed the nation. We will see. But if we ever get out of this economic disaster the Republicans idiots like Caddy who voted for Bush and complain about attempts to fix the mess should leave the country.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Guess who said:

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

How about let the professionals do their job? Allow the minority party to bitch and moan and negotiate and barter down some of the spending?

And allow the Government to pass a spending bill which allows IT to function and do ITs job?

No we don't all like ALL OF the spending. We dont like "pork" either. But spending is required. And some of it we will not all agree on. Pet projects (pork) are what keeps getting people reelected...if you were in congress or in any elected position you would be doing the same damn thing too...

Now, if we had a spending bill that was high in the "pork" content then we should proceed with the outrage. But so far less than 1% of "pork" is business as usual and if we are going to get upset at that then maybe we need to adjust our expectations. Don't like it? change the system.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Does this kind of bill normally happen? I mean it's not technically an extra stimulus one is it?

BTW here is the "next stimulus" thread.
Yup, it's just the FY 2009 budget. Not sure why people are trying to make a big deal about this.

I mean spending went up 8%, that's something valid to complain about. But this isn't another bailout or anything like that.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
Guess who said:

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.

I dunno, but comments like that can be applied to anything.

Serious crisis? quick! grab all the alpacas!!!

Serious crisis? quick! jump in the vat of tomato juice!!!

Serious crisis? quick! spend tons of money!!!

Serious crisis? quick! someone change the station!!!

basically your point is stupid. But thanks anyway.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

I am trying to wrap my head around your arguments then. You state that doing nothing would be worse, but how can you make that statement without an opinion on what we should be doing.
What I'm stating is that you guys are criticizing Obama for doing what Bush, McCain, Clinton or Romney would have done, Now you'd have credibility of you were a supporter of Congressman Paul and maybe you personally were but most who are pissing and moaning aren't including most of the Republican Politicians who are critical of Obama's actions so they really have no credibility.