[Another R/C Thread] Can NE1 explain to me brushless motors for R/C cars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: NFS4

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Novak SS5800 over at RC Universe (they have a huge R/C forum). Users are getting much higher top speeds with about 4-5 minute extra run time vs a comparable brushed setup.

I just want something that's low maintenance (no working the com, changing brushes, etc.) and gives me long battery life.

Unless you're racing a "regular" motor will last you a long time. Even if you go with a mild modified it'll last a long time and you can just keep throwing brushes at it. Even with "heavy" use it'll go for like an year at least before you have to do anything to it.

uhhh not true. a year on heavy driving? no, and no. traxxas is based in my city, so naturally there are huge events here. the guys that do this stuff for a job would definitely disagree with you.

however, if your definition of light is driving once or twice ever few weeks, and heavy is like twice a week...then ok, your motor may last a year (but it will be a POS and wont be pushing nearly what it was at first). an actual definition of heavy driving is over an hour a day. i drive my t-maxx 4-5 days a week and for an hour at a time. with bursts up to 49mph held for 7+ seconds, it was already spec'ed to die according to traxxas.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Novak SS5800 over at RC Universe (they have a huge R/C forum). Users are getting much higher top speeds with about 4-5 minute extra run time vs a comparable brushed setup.

I just want something that's low maintenance (no working the com, changing brushes, etc.) and gives me long battery life.

Unless you're racing a "regular" motor will last you a long time. Even if you go with a mild modified it'll last a long time and you can just keep throwing brushes at it. Even with "heavy" use it'll go for like an year at least before you have to do anything to it.

uhhh not true. a year on heavy driving? no, and no. traxxas is based in my city, so naturally there are huge events here. the guys that do this stuff for a job would definitely disagree with you.

however, if your definition of light is driving once or twice ever few weeks, and heavy is like twice a week...then ok, your motor may last a year (but it will be a POS and wont be pushing nearly what it was at first). an actual definition of heavy driving is over an hour a day. i drive my t-maxx 4-5 days a week and for an hour at a time. with bursts up to 49mph held for 7+ seconds, it was already spec'ed to die according to traxxas.

Eh. This is why I shouldn't be giving advice like this. I haven't even turned on my radio in more then a year. Probably have to toss what nitro fuel i have left at this point.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: blazert40
That Mini-T video NFS4 posted rocks! I'd love to get one of those one of these days, I end up spending some much damn money on my T-maxx I never have extra for anything else.

are you capable of driving it straight and not hitting curbs at full speed? that is about the only thing you can do to physically break it, unless you just plain cant drive it. the only thing i have replaced on my t-maxx because it broke or needed to be replaced was the right upper suspension arm, and that was because i drove it off of a ramp as tall as my head.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

Eh. This is why I shouldn't be giving advice like this. I haven't even turned on my radio in more then a year. Probably have to toss what nitro fuel i have left at this point.

dont you hate that? :( i left my first nitro truck sitting on the shelf for a while when i got my first electric stadium truck...fuel was bad :( it also rusted the piston (i didnt know about after-run oil at that time)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

dont you hate that? :( i left my first nitro truck sitting on the shelf for a while when i got my first electric stadium truck...fuel was bad :( it also rusted the piston (i didnt know about after-run oil at that time)

Eh, I have more fun with my real car these days. The RCs are relagated to sitting on stands and looking cool (tho dusty these days).

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
alright whatever dude. i just wont give you any more info, even though ive been doing this for years and have experience with tons of motor/esc setups. R/C cars have been more than a hobby for me and i take performance and tuning to the extreme. oh and btw, if you are just looking for fun and little to no maintenance, badass motors such as this novak are not for you. do you know anything about the gearing? you are going to chew through pinion and spur gears like no tomorrow, and if you car is good enough for a 2 speed, good luck with plastic gears.

All I'm saying is that you could have come off as being a little less hostile in regards to this comment:

although, sorry to burst your bubble, all motors (if you want them to last) require maintenance. if you dont want to work on it and keep it clean, you shouldnt have purchased anything but a radio shack POS. if you buy a brushless motor system, you are a fuggin idiot if you dont use canned air on it everytime you stop driving it for the day.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
nut, if you arent using yours, i would be interested to know what they are and if you are willing to sell them. i am always interested in getting new R/C cars ;)

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
alright whatever dude. i just wont give you any more info, even though ive been doing this for years and have experience with tons of motor/esc setups. R/C cars have been more than a hobby for me and i take performance and tuning to the extreme. oh and btw, if you are just looking for fun and little to no maintenance, badass motors such as this novak are not for you. do you know anything about the gearing? you are going to chew through pinion and spur gears like no tomorrow, and if you car is good enough for a 2 speed, good luck with plastic gears.

All I'm saying is that you could have come off as being a little less hostile in regards to this comment:

although, sorry to burst your bubble, all motors (if you want them to last) require maintenance. if you dont want to work on it and keep it clean, you shouldnt have purchased anything but a radio shack POS. if you buy a brushless motor system, you are a fuggin idiot if you dont use canned air on it everytime you stop driving it for the day.

i wasnt even directing that at YOU personally. it was you in the form of "anyone who does this." i can see how that came off rude, but realize what context i meant - i was not calling YOU (as in NFS4) an idiot. i know you arent an idiot.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
nut, if you arent using yours, i would be interested to know what they are and if you are willing to sell them. i am always interested in getting new R/C cars ;)

Heh. Mine are old school for sure.

Nitro 4-Tec, TA02, TA03F, Wild Willy's (original). I have an original Futuba "pistol" grip remote as well. Its pretty neat.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

Heh. Mine are old school for sure.

Nitro 4-Tec, TA02, TA03F, Wild Willy's (original). I have an original Futuba "pistol" grip remote as well. Its pretty neat.

4tec isnt old school unless it is the very first version of it...and even then, its a pretty decent car. I have the TA02, never driven a TA03 myself but seen em go...wild willy's :D i have one of those original futaba pistol as well. i even have one of the REALLY old school futaba "airplane" radios...you know, not a pistol, but it is like one of the gimp radio shack controls hehe.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
OMG I feel old. I remember how bad@ss I felt purchasing the very first Losi JRX2 my local shop received. I waited for it for months. That thing rocked... well, at the time I suppose. After seeing that video I'm amazed how far these cars have come.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: merlocka
OMG I feel old. I remember how bad@ss I felt purchasing the very first Losi JRX2 my local shop received. I waited for it for months. That thing rocked... well, at the time I suppose. After seeing that video I'm amazed how far these cars have come.

My first purchase was a Tamiya Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA (M-04M chassis) followed up by a TC3 Racer. Lovely little cars:p

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Man I'd love a car like that :D

BAD ASS

Koing

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
$300 for a brushless system? No thanks. Might as well get a nitro for that price. How long does a typical 6 cell last on a Novak Brushless?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AgentUnknown
$300 for a brushless system? No thanks. Might as well get a nitro for that price. How long does a typical 6 cell last on a Novak Brushless?

$300?

More like $250 new retail for a Novak SS5800, around $210 new on eBay and around $170-180 used on eBay.

Looks like a 99% favorable response to Brushless over at Team Associated:

http://www.rc10.com/questions/2003/q16.brushless.motor.experience.htm