Another Police Officer Out Of Control - Power Trip Over 14 Year Old

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: CasioTech
he didn't mouth off, he's a damn 100lb kid. You don't threaten someone or do that PERIOD. What if that was your kid or younger brother, would it be 'the right thing' then?

Absolutely. That kind of disrespect is unacceptable. You don't mouth off to an adult like that, let alone a police officer.

Seriously, I've had my board taken by cops at LEAST 3 dozen times when I skated. We normally got what we got because some punk ass kid starting mouthing off (sometimes I was one of them). We knew we weren't supposed to be there and if a cop showed up mouthing off or being a smart ass normally led to the consequences.

There are consequences to ones actions, the cop taught these kids that.

the cop was the one mouthing off.

no, the skaters pulled the "we're not doing anything wrong" card. Bunch of punks.

YES YOU ARE. What part of YOU CAN'T SKATE HERE, do you not understand? This kind of disrespectful behavior gets what it deserves - a smack down.

I'm not trying to be a troll or an instigator as i've been through this exact scenario so many times I can't even count it.

Problem is the parents who enable this kind of behavior. They had 14 years to teach these kids right and they failed.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
So you're saying, the cop has every right to tell the child to stop saying "Dude"? That's horseshit.

It's not horseshit. You don't have any rights whatsoever until you are an adult.

You can do and say whatever you like, but be prepared to suffer the consequences. Especially a child.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
So you're saying, the cop has every right to tell the child to stop saying "Dude"? That's horseshit.

It's not horseshit. You don't have any rights whatsoever until you are an adult.

You can do and say whatever you like, but be prepared to suffer the consequences. Especially a child.

Jaywalking is also against the law, but that's not an excuse for the officer to assault a kid over. Two wrongs do not make a right, and the officer is supposed to enforce the law, not act above it.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You can do and say whatever you like, but be prepared to suffer the consequences.
What consequences, besides a suspension and IAD investigation?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
the kid deserved getting yelled at. the cop did cross the line by putting his hands on him and throwing him to the ground.

Hahahahaha, no he fucking didn't. Been there, done that, and I've dealt with far worse smartasses then the kid. The kid didn't even really do anything.

By the way, you can call a cop a dude. I would have kept calling him dude untill I was arrested. That would have gone over real well.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Lol, that kid looked scared to death. If that were me I wouldn't have been able to keep myself from laughing. That's got to be one of the most idiotic cops in the nation right there.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

You can't be serious can you? :confused:

You don't have full rights as a citizen until you are 21, but saying you have no rights whatsoever until you are an adult is far from correct.

Yes the kid was a wise-ass idiot for mouthing off to a cop .... yes if he'ed been polite & respectful he very likely would have been told to go ride elsewhere & that would have been the end of it. But the cop was by far the bigger idiot because he allowed his temper to get the better of him & thanks to the incident being caught on video he'll be the one paying the price, not the kid.

Really I can't say the officer should have been punished more severely then he was unless he has a record of doing things like this previously, but theres no question he should be disciplined for his conduct in this incident & perhaps relegated to riding a desk for awhile till he learns some restraint.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I read about this in the Baltimore Sun this morning. Sadly, I've been told many Baltimore City cops are assh*les like this.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
If the skaters would quit ruining public property then they wouldn't have to chase them off like that.

I skated for over a decade and faced this stuff all the time. Goes with the territory.

How do they ruin public property? Im not a skater, but I do sometimes see skater's haning out and skating outside at the mall, or in a public place like the harbor in Baltimore. Any they always keep to themselves, and don't bother anyone.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

I discount everything you've ever thought or said because you live in Kentucky.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ticky
I'm going to start refering to cops as dudes from now on. Should be fun.

Yeah, you do that, k? Be sure to report back on your success with that approach, too . . . dude. :confused:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
Originally posted by: NFS4
Totally uncalled for.

Bullshit. You've obviously never had to deal with removing skater punks from public property.
Cops can perform their duty without losing their composure and lashing out.

If something wasn't wrong with his behavior, why was he suspended? Why was an IAD investigation launched? Why did the mayor and PD both respond negatively about the officer's behavior?

Case closed.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Another "Cops are Evil" thread on ATOT? You're kidding me!

Do you know if there was history here between the Officer and these kids? Perhaps this is the first time he actually cornered them and was able to deal with them. The other times they ran away? The camera starts with him approaching them. What happened before? Everyone states that it is ILLEGAL to skateboard there.

You guys ever hear of the Scare Straight program? They take kids to jail, inmates yell and curse at them till they're peeing in their pants, then they go home. Perhaps Rivera was going that route without the whole inmates thing, he wasn't going to bring them in, instead just scare them into not doing it again. The 'throwing to the ground thing' was within his power. He was confiscating the skateboard, the kid resisted.

As for skateboarding ruining property, its true. Those steel trucks underneath the board eat up steps. Heaven forbid one of those kids gets put into a coma from not wearing protective gear and smacking his head on the stairs... then their mother, instead of being flabbergasted that such a thing could happen to her sweet, innocent criminal kid, would be up in arms about "Why didn't the city do anything to stop my boy from skating where it's illegals?!!! WAAHHH"

Seriously, most of you guys need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. :roll:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Modeps
blah blah blah
Could your post be any more one-sided? Condemning everything the skaters might have done while simultaneously apologizing for everything the cop did do.

If the cop didn't do anything wrong, why was he suspended by his police department and condemned by city leaders? Why is there an IAD investigation if everything this cop did was correct?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Could your post be any more one-sided? Condemning everything the skaters might have done while simultaneously apologizing for everything the cop did do.
...and how is anything you posted not one-sided? Even your sub-title for the article was taken completely out of context to make it seem worse than it was. As for something the kids "might have done"? They DID do one thing that is obvious: They were illegally skateboarding where they shouldn't have been.

If the cop didn't do anything wrong, why was he suspended by his police department and condemned by city leaders? Why is there an IAD investigation if everything this cop did was correct?
When allegations are made against a police officer, this is what they do. Instead of having the general public, like yourself, super angry that this "renegade pig" is on the lose while they conclude their investigation, they place him on desk duty out of the public eye.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
There are consequences to ones actions, the cop taught these kids that.
:laugh: Please tell us what "consequences" Officer Rivieri taught these kids?

Last time I checked, the kid wasn't in any legal trouble over the incident, and stands to make a pretty penny settling with the B-more PD.

Damn, I wish I had officers in my area teach me those kinds of "consequences"! ;)

Yup...the cop crossed the line by tackling the kid to the ground. All the cop had to say was no skateboarding allowed, or confiscate the skateboard. a 3 minute conversation (taped) should have lasted 30 seconds. At most.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
That pig will be out of a job, or forced to find somewhere else to live now that millions of people will see this.
I hope he didn't have any aspirations of career advancement. Not that he was smart enough to earn a high-ranking position in the department anyways.

I guess he can kiss those aspirations for a full-sized vehicle and pants goodbye. :laugh:

mh47g

May 25, 2007
I came to post what a few have already said. He only crossed the line when he touched the kid.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
wow before i watched the video i thought it would be some punk ass kid talking smack and what not, but it was the exact opposite of it.

i find it funny the cop kept on saying "dont you know when to stop running your mouth?" when the cop wouldn't shut up himself.