Another GTX 260 vs 4870 review

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: thilan29
http://www.nvnews.net/articles...mes_tested/index.shtml

At least they include some 8AA tests unlike some other sites.

Firing Squad has 8X AA in their review as well.

Personally I don't see 8X AA as the deal maker or breaker, even now that NVIDIA products often win it. <gasp!>

I've been using SLi since 6800 days and have played with a many different AA settings over the years, but IMHO the combination of high res and less AA beats lower res with 8X AA in image quality.

In other words, I think people should aspire to high res monitors rather than the incremental improvements of 8X AA, with the one possible exception of the upcoming stereoscopic monitors that I haven't seen.

If they've solved the eyestrain of CRT days, I may well pick a 19X12 stereo monitor over my beloved 3007WFP-HC. Real 3d gaming is pretty immersive.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Weird that they didn't just manually change the resolution to 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 with FC2 on the 4870. I guess it makes sense that they're biased, though.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Originally posted by: vj8usa
Weird that they didn't just manually change the resolution to 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 with FC2 on the 4870. I guess it makes sense that they're biased, though.

:roll:

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: nRollo

Personally I don't see 8X AA as the deal maker or breaker, even now that NVIDIA products often win it. <gasp!>

Actually the 4870 wins in every tests, at 8X AA, except a single one, where they're equal. ATi was always strong at 8X AA. Remember the 3870? It had it's ass kicked by the 8800 GT in everything, except 8X AA. The situation today is similar with the 4XXX series, the difference is that they're winning more against Nvidia cards, not only in 8X AA.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: JPB
Originally posted by: vj8usa

:roll:

Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant? In FC2, you can use the -RenderProfile_ResolutionX/Y commands to use pretty much any resolution your hardware supports. I'd expect a review site like nvnews to be aware of something like this.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Yes I did understand what you meant. I had problems with Far Cry 2 myself and a HD3870. I had to manually change the .xml file to 1920x1080.

However, after I installed a 9800GTX and formatted because I upgraded my rig then reinstalled Far Cry 2, I didnt have this problem.

It just worked.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked was easier to install. In order to install the PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 1GB, a third thumbscrew, located directly above the graphics card, needed to be removed.

:laugh:

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: error8

Actually the 4870 wins in every tests, at 8X AA, except a single one, where they're equal. ATi was always strong at 8X AA. Remember the 3870? It had it's ass kicked by the 8800 GT in everything, except 8X AA. The situation today is similar with the 4XXX series, the difference is that they're winning more against Nvidia cards, not only in 8X AA.

Not really.

ATi beaten at 8XAA in 3/5 games
(and I don't think the 49 to 47.3 is much of a "victory")

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://
<b">Therefore, for enthusiast gamers, there really is only one choice this holiday season when upgrading graphics card, the new 216 core Geforce GTX 260.</a>">http://www.driverheaven.net/re...reviewid=668&pageid=12

The results speak for themselves, out of the 6 titles that we have shown you today, NVIDIA was able to pull ahead on the vast majority with it's GTX 260 core 216 (with regular clock frequencies).

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10559&Itemid=1">
New GTX 260 with new driver leaves 4870 beaten and scarred</a>

Based on our test results and other considerations, the EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked wins this shootout. It provided better performance in today's top games under Windows XP and did not exhibit the minor issues that came along with PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 1GB.

Though we tend to see problems a lot more frequently than end users, we do see a lot more issues with AMD drivers than NVIDIA.

I don't even need to think about these posts anymore- I can just let the reviews do the talking.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
PCGH Comparisons 180.48 to 178.24

Not compared directly against 4870, but they do show the performance gains are real for some titles on a single GTX 280. Still haven't seen any SLI comparisons to confirm/deny any of the other gains.

PCGH also goes into why/how the 180.48s are increasing performance. They think its because the drivers enable reading of the multisample depth buffer, which makes sense since that would directly impact MSAA performance, an area the 4800 series typically excelled at over the GTX 200 series and also the single worthwhile feature in DX10.1 that was rumored long ago to be supported by Nvidia 8 series and higher parts as well......

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: reviewhunter
generally, 4870 is better in high res & AA turned on.
Else, GTX260 will be a better choice, considering nvidia provides better driver support.

GeForce GTX260 vs GTX260+ vs Radeon HD4870:
http://lly316.blogspot.com/200...vs-radeon-hd-4870.html

The review you linked to (on a site I've never heard of- "Blogspot"?!?!) uses drivers from July 15 for NVIDIA and drivers from August for the ATi card!

LOL the Core 216 card they used launched 2 months after their drivers, and their review is dated over 3 months after their drivers.

I am just guessing here reviewhunter, but as all the reviews I linked to used the drivers that greatly improved performance for NVIDIA cards, they are more useful than "Blogspot's" strange review.

I'm just guessing, but it looks to me like "Blogspot" might just be some kids goofing around.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: AVP
Um, you do know what a blog is right?

LOL- so it basically is kids goofing around.

I know what a blog is- just not hip enough that I'm reading people's random thoughts over on Blogspot I guess.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I believe Blogspot is owned by Google now, and it's the biggest location for people who want to publish their own blog without a lot of hassle. But the signal-to-noise ratio is so high that getting your blog 'known' there is almost impossible.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
I believe Blogspot is owned by Google now, and it's the biggest location for people who want to publish their own blog without a lot of hassle. But the signal-to-noise ratio is so high that getting your blog 'known' there is almost impossible.

I never really got into the whole "blogging" phenomenon- forums are as close as I get to reading strangers thoughts. (or posting my own)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Not really.

I don't even need to think about these posts anymore- I can just let the reviews do the talking.
Uh-huh. I reviewed a GTX260+ with recent drivers and in some cases it?s slower than a 4850 when running 8xAA. Substantially slower in fact.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007

Not really.

<b"><b">Therefore, for enthusiast gamers, there really is only one choice this holiday season when upgrading graphics card, the new 216 core Geforce GTX 260.</a>">http://www.driverheaven.net/re...reviewid=668&pageid=12

The results speak for themselves, out of the 6 titles that we have shown you today, NVIDIA was able to pull ahead on the vast majority with it's GTX 260 core 216 (with regular clock frequencies).

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10559&Itemid=1">

Based on our test results and other considerations, the EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked wins this shootout. It provided better performance in today's top games under Windows XP and did not exhibit the minor issues that came along with PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 1GB.

Though we tend to see problems a lot more frequently than end users, we do see a lot more issues with AMD drivers than NVIDIA.

The first review is strange, since I don't see how on earth are they forcing 8X AA in Dead Space and COD5. That is the single review you linked with 8X AA tests and it is a doubtful one.

The other ones have no 8X AA tests, except the NV biased review. So, I'm still not convinced if GTX 260 is faster with 8X AA then the 1 gb 4870.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: WelshBloke
The EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked was easier to install. In order to install the PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 1GB, a third thumbscrew, located directly above the graphics card, needed to be removed.

:laugh:

Not really surprising. They're a worthless bias site.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K

Not really.

Uh-huh. I reviewed a GTX260+ with recent drivers and in some cases it?s slower than a 4850 when running 8xAA. Substantially slower in fact.

What games are those BFG?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

Not really.

<b"><b"><b">Therefore, for enthusiast gamers, there really is only one choice this holiday season when upgrading graphics card, the new 216 core Geforce GTX 260.</a>">http://www.driverheaven.net/re...reviewid=668&pageid=12

The first review is strange, since I don't see how on earth are they forcing 8X AA in Dead Space and COD5. That is the single review you linked with 8X AA tests and it is a doubtful one.

The other ones have no 8X AA tests, except the NV biased review. So, I'm still not convinced if GTX 260 is faster with 8X AA then the 1 gb 4870.

You're not a person who's likely to be convinced though error8. You seem pretty one sided on the ATi position, and that's fine.

I agree with you that 8X AA likely isn't happening at Dead Space, I'm guessing they just set the override and assumed it was done. I'll be playing the COD game today for the first time, so I haven't looked at it's AA yet.

In any case, unless the reader wants to assume all 8X AA testing by Firing Squad and NVNews is wrong in the absence of other professional benchmarks refuting theirs, ATi has no real 8XAA advantage anymore.

For me, I wouldn't care if they did, because 8XAA is a pretty minimal improvement over 4XAA.

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Installation - The EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked was easier to install. In order to install the PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 1GB, a third thumbscrew, located directly above the graphics card, needed to be removed.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

What games are those BFG?
Several games and combination of settings. Please see my sig as it's all there.

I'm currently conducting a follow-up investigation of image quality to shed some more light on the issue.