Another example of McCain's bad judgement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The man is all balls. Just ignore the fact he needed multiple helicopters and 100 soldiers and a bulletproof vest when he went around baghdad last year. Not relevant :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Having survived the POW Camps of Vietnam, a horrendous accident on the Carrier Forestal and melanoma maybe he has a sense immortality or at least invunerability.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
The man is all balls. Just ignore the fact he needed multiple helicopters and 100 soldiers and a bulletproof vest when he went around baghdad last year. Not relevant :)

you really think he had a choice?

how f'd would the commander have been if something happened under his watch? I'm sure he didn't personally ask for the helicopters and all that shit.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I think he realizes that Secret Service protection is little more effective than airport security. It may discourage a lot of those without serious intent, but those that are dedicated can easily bypass it.

Still, it seems like a publicity stunt.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Maybe he knows death is already knocking on his door and doesn?t care, Perhaps he has a death wish or something.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
wow, from picking on his teeth(then backing off it), to the bogus plagiarism claim, to this? Buahahahaha!!! You people really are reaching for stuff to whine about. Why this when there is so much else POLICY wise to hit him with? Oh that's right, it's not about substance with you people....

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

yeah since the US is the same as Baghdad. :roll:

i can understand why he is refusing it. but think its a wrong decision.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Yeah, this guy has bad judgment. He is saving the tax payers over 1million $$ a year by his ludicrous stunt........:roll:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Tab
:roll: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that John McCain is probably smarter than you, me and probably everyone that posts on this board.

You're going wayyyyyyyyy out on a limb... in fact, it looks like you're falling off the tree.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
While I admire him for his courage, this indicates that McCain may well have more balls than brains. At least the balls are real- it's not like he's some Air Guard poseur, packin' his basket for the last 30 years, wearing bulletproof vests in front of small audiences who've practically been strip searched prior to admission...

I wonder how he feels about the oxymoron of "Free Speech Zones"...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
People can spin this anyway the want but this is just stupid. I can't believe people are actually commending him for this. Is it really worth taking the risk to prove a point?

EDIT: I'm not really sure who he's trying to impress here. This isn't high school. Are we supposed to sympathize with him should, G-d forbid, something terrible happen to him?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
While I admire him for his courage, this indicates that McCain may well have more balls than brains. At least the balls are real- it's not like he's some Air Guard poseur, packin' his basket for the last 30 years, wearing bulletproof vests in front of small audiences who've practically been strip searched prior to admission...

I wonder how he feels about the oxymoron of "Free Speech Zones"...

Oh look it's the same old BS about "strip searched". You people still don't have a clue.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus
:roll: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that John McCain is probably smarter than you, me and probably everyone that posts on this board.

You're going wayyyyyyyyy out on a limb... in fact, it looks like you're falling off the tree.

... and over a cliff into a very deep abyss. :p

For a start, McCain was 894th out of 899 graduates in his class at Annapolis. I deal with much brighter people than McCain, every day, and that's before I get to discussing tech issues with some of the better minds on these forums.

Every time I hear McCain speak, he just confirms that he isn't what I'd consider prime leadership material.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
wow, from picking on his teeth(then backing off it), to the bogus plagiarism claim, to this? Buahahahaha!!! You people really are reaching for stuff to whine about. Why this when there is so much else POLICY wise to hit him with? Oh that's right, it's not about substance with you people....

CGS: This isn't a thread about policy matters, its a thread about whether or not one particular decision show McCain is either: (a) headstrong, (b) foolhardy or (c) justifiably stingy with the taxpayers dollars. The policy issues really belong in another thread.

And there is plenty to criticize McCain on policy. For example, a few days agao McCain gave a so-called economic summit speech . After yet again admitting economics is not his strong suit (when the heck is he going to get around to preparing for the job he is running for?), he blamed the subprime mortgage crisis on too MUCH government regulation and called for DECREASED government regulation of Wall Street and investment banking. Even GWB isn't that boneheaded. What the heck is he sniffing?

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Harvey

For a start, McCain was 894th out of 899 graduates in his class at Annapolis. I deal with much brighter people than McCain, every day,

McCain had run-ins with higher-ups and he was disinclined to obey every rule, which contributed to a low class rank (894/899) that he did not aim to improve.

Every time I hear McCain speak, he just confirms that he isn't what I'd consider prime leadership material.

Then you, IMO, have a pretty distorted view of leadership.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bbdub333

For a start, McCain was 894th out of 899 graduates in his class at Annapolis. I deal with much brighter people than McCain, every day,

McCain had run-ins with higher-ups and he was disinclined to obey every rule, which contributed to a low class rank (894/899) that he did not aim to improve.

Then you, IMO, have a pretty distorted view of leadership.

And you have dangerously low expectations of a candidate President of the United States of America.

Hasn't the last seven years taught you anything about the danger of giving the job to a mental midget? :shocked:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I deal with much brighter people than McCain, every day, and that's before I get to discussing tech issues with some of the better minds on these forums.
There are tech discussions around here somewhere!? :confused:

:p

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Thump553

CGS: This isn't a thread about policy matters, its a thread about whether or not one particular decision show McCain is either: (a) headstrong, (b) foolhardy or (c) justifiably stingy with the taxpayers dollars. The policy issues really belong in another thread.

No, this is just fluff the libs are trying to pass off as something more. It's rather silly when, as I said before, there is plenty of things with SUBSTANCE to criticize him about. Sheesh.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Phokus

... and over a cliff into a very deep abyss. :p

For a start, McCain was 894th out of 899 graduates in his class at Annapolis. I deal with much brighter people than McCain, every day, and that's before I get to discussing tech issues with some of the better minds on these forums.

Jesus, you guys are fucking dense...

We have a man whom was on Rove's shit-list and is now getting advice from him; you're telling me hes stupid? This man has more money, more power than anyone here can possibly even fathom. Unless, we have some multi-millionaires or some very high-status people...

Oh, wait he's a bad public speaker I guess he's a dumb-dumb :confused:

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: palehorse74
I deal with much brighter people than McCain, every day, and that's before I get to discussing tech issues with some of the better minds on these forums.
There are tech discussions around here somewhere!? :confused:

:p

And in even more shocking news, we have some bright people, too, many of whom I'd consider brighter than McCain.,

FWIW, bright doesn't necessarily imply good, or even qualified. The most dangerous evil people are the smart ones because they're good at planning and executing their malice. Richard Nixon was probably one of the worst Presidents in our history until the current Traitor In Chief. Nixon was a bigoted, paranoid speed freak (documented) who illegally voilated the rights of American citizens lied about it to Congress and the American people. He was very bright. He just wasn't very nice.

Jesus, you guys are fucking dense...

We have a man whom was on Rove's shit-list and is now getting advice from him; you're telling me hes stupid?

Rove is another one who's extremely bright and even more extremely evil, and he was probably behind the "swift boat" style smear campaign against McCain when he was running for President against Bush. The fact that McCain would take anything more than an express flight away from a skunk like Rove tells me either he's accepted Rove's amoral gutter level ethical values, or he really is dumber than a rock.

This man has more money, more power than anyone here can possibly even fathom. Unless, we have some multi-millionaires or some very high-status people...

Since when does money the only measure of brains... or any guarantee, at all? There are some very dumb, very lucky people in the world.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Since when does money the only measure of brains... or any guarantee, at all? There are some very dumb, very lucky people in the world.

It's not however do you believe that Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfled just got lucky?

They say the educated tend to have a lot of luck.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Thump553

No, this is just fluff the libs are trying to pass off as something more. It's rather silly when, as I said before, there is plenty of things with SUBSTANCE to criticize him about. Sheesh.

Geez CAD, you managed to (inadvertantly, I'm sure) accidentally cut from my quote the last paragraph-where I criticize McCain on a specific policy statement of his. Pretty shabby.

Please don't edit my statements to use them as strawmen arguments to support your distorted perceptions.