Another Automotive Trivia Question!

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
30,876
12,383
136
In the mid 70s Chrysler introduced a new suspension setup/geometry on the mid size cars. What is called or what was its distinguishing feature?

This could be tough for those non mopar guys.
 

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
3,676
0
0
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
In the mid 70s Chrysler introduced a new suspension setup/geometry on the mid size cars. What is called or what was its distinguishing feature?

This could be tough for those non mopar guys.


I'm guessing here, but was it some type of modified macpherson strut suspension where the upper control arms were eliminated?

EDIT: Are you going to just keep starting new threads for these trivia questions, or is it going to be one ongoing topic? I take it you didn't like my last trivia question so you started a new one.
 

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
30,876
12,383
136
Originally posted by: jemcam
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
In the mid 70s Chrysler introduced a new suspension setup/geometry on the mid size cars. What is called or what was its distinguishing feature?

This could be tough for those non mopar guys.


I'm guessing here, but was it some type of modified macpherson strut suspension where the upper control arms were eliminated?

EDIT: Are you going to just keep starting new threads for these trivia questions, or is it going to be one ongoing topic? I take it you didn't like my last trivia question so you started a new one.
I didn't see yours. Sorry dude, nothing personal. :D

The mid size cars were Volare'/Aspen. It is not a fundamental change but it was very significant nonetheless.
 

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
3,676
0
0
Again a guess, but did it have to do with switching from torsion bars to coil springs? BTW, those cars were the rust buckets from hell. Worst EVAR.
 

Cross body torsion arms.

Answer this one if you can ;

What was the first vehicle that used fiber optics in the dashboard ?
 

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
5,824
61
91
Originally posted by: Roger
Answer this one if you can ;

What was the first vehicle that used fiber optics in the dashboard ?


Corvette, 1968?
 

1960 Valiant

Next question ;

What car other than the Corvair used a transaxle ?
 

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
5,824
61
91
Originally posted by: Roger
1960 Valiant

Next question ;

What car other than the Corvair used a transaxle ?


'61-'63 Pontiac Tempest, with the 'speedometer cable' driveshaft
 

Give that man a dollar !

What was the first turbocharged American automobile ?
 

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
5,824
61
91
OK, easy one :)

What year did the Chevy 350 debut, and what was the only car it was available in that year?
 

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
5,824
61
91
Originally posted by: Roger
1967 Camaro, too easy, now answer mine ;)

To be specific, only the '67 Camaro SS ;)


First turbo'd american car? Either the Corvair Spyder, or the Olds (Jetfire? F85?)
 

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
12,444
2
81
Originally posted by: Roger
Give that man a dollar !

What was the first turbocharged American automobile ?


62/63 Chevrolet Corvair Monza & Olds Jetfire I think, unless you count the Daimler compressor car the built back in the 20's. I could be wrong.


I was right the first time.
 

You guys are good :)

The Jetfire came out 1 month before the "Spyder" Corvair did :)

Next question ;

What was the first American V8 "compact car" ?
 

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
5,824
61
91
Hmmm....the Buick (Skylark?) around '62-'63 with the aluminum 215 V8, or the '63 Pontiac Tempest/LeMans with the 326 V8.

On an aside, it's funny what used to be 'compact' and 'mid size'. lol! My Roadrunner was a 'midsize' car...it's like 18 feet long!
 

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
12,444
2
81
Originally posted by: Roger
You guys are good :)

The Jetfire came out 1 month before the "Spyder" Corvair did :)

Next question ;

What was the first American V8 "compact car" ?


AMC Gremlin? Just a guess. :D
 

No and nope :)

1959 Studebaker Lark ;)

Next question ;

What was the name of the Pontiac with a switch on the dashboard to bypass the mufflers (Open exhaust) ?
 

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
5,824
61
91
Originally posted by: Roger
What was the name of the Pontiac with a switch on the dashboard to bypass the mufflers (Open exhaust) ?

Wow, that's good! I don't have a clue.....:eek:
 

Pontiac GTO Judge :)

Next question ;

What was the first modern American car with a overhead cam engine ?