Animal welfare group gives Ohio low score in dealing with wildlife

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
They have no problem eating plants either. They're morons who project human intelligence and emotion onto animals which lack the capabilities to view the world or experience like we do.

Plants aren't conscious. Animals are. I think that is a rather fundamental distinction, don't you?

Anyway, I'm not really sure what you're going on about here. Are you arguing that everyone who wants to preserve any species from extinction is anthropomorphizing? I happen to like tigers, for example, but I'm under no illusions about their intelligence being similar to that of humans, not am I projecting anything "human like" on to them.

- wolf

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Pigs are considered a high level predator? You realize they're smarter than most other animals right? Being a "high level predator" doesn't denote intelligence.

Pigs? How many pigs were killed in this story? Why can't you stick to the facts of the story? The high level predators killed in this story are highly intelligent animals.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I can't really blame the cops but I hate to see tigers get killed. There are so few of them left. :(

Agreed. It is sad to see the cops have to put down all the animals but they didn't have a lot of options. And to those who think that this tragedy should be responded by banning the owning of exotic animals, you'd be condemning far more lions and tigers to death as they would ALL have to put put down. And people would no longer be able to run shelters for abandoned exotic animals so all around the country more would have to be put down rather then be rescued.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
When there is a public threat and your ONLY equipment to deal with it is a gun...

Let's face it, it's a god damn terrible loss of life, but those animals would simply spread out and find food. Given the numbers involved and the resources of the authorities, they couldn't track them all. They were forced to stop them immediately, or let them go. If they let these hungry predators go, humans would have died.

Incidents such as this are a tragedy, and all the more reason why we need protected animal reserves. If your heart bleeds for this then go support the protection of these animals in their own habitat. Save them before they get into human hands.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Agreed. It is sad to see the cops have to put down all the animals but they didn't have a lot of options. And to those who think that this tragedy should be responded by banning the owning of exotic animals, you'd be condemning far more lions and tigers to death as they would ALL have to put put down. And people would no longer be able to run shelters for abandoned exotic animals so all around the country more would have to be put down rather then be rescued.

Not much of a choice for the police really. Had to be somewhat frightening being told what was out there. Tranquilizers and capture would have been difficult with only one animal let alone dozens.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Pigs are considered a high level predator? You realize they're smarter than most other animals right? Being a "high level predator" doesn't denote intelligence.

You've never encountered a feral pig have you?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
This is a job for:

sp_1411_clip02.jpg

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
slippery slope there.

Not really. Plenty of states already prohibit private ownership of exotic animals, unless registered as sanctuary, rehab, zoo, scientific or similar operation, with proven ability and financial means to care for the animals. This is how it is in Colorado, for example.

I don't see what's slippery about it? It's reasonable (state) legislation that's a far cry from taking away peoples' domestic pets, for example.

Give the jackass who owned these animals a poor score. Or this group fly their asses over to Ohio and save the animals themselves instead of just commenting from afar.

To be clear, the group isn't commenting on this specific recent case, but rather Ohio's lax regulation of exotic animal ownership in general.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Did anyone see a single animal right's activist out there trying to capture any of these animals? No, they were all hiding under their bed pissing their pants.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Did anyone see a single animal right's activist out there trying to capture any of these animals? No, they were all hiding under their bed pissing their pants.

Yes, there was. I can't remember the guy's name but he was on ABC, flew to help, was involved with the capture of the six remaining animals and involved now with their relocation.