Andrew Luck vs RG3

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

When all is said and done when they retire, who do you think will be deemed the bette

• Luck

• RG3

• Russell Wilson

Results are only viewable after voting.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yay, I was thinking about this thread today when the Bob Cubed news came out. So happy to see it bumped. :D

KT

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
RGIII to be cut by the Browns. When you're not good enough to make the Browns roster.....

Not just that, but released after they traded for Brock Osweiler.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Browns: So RG3, we are going to let you go. We just traded for another QB.
RG3: Oh were you able to get Romo?
Browns: Ahhh no...
RG3: Oh man, don't say Kirk?
Browns: No... we wish.
RG3: We'll who was it that you got that makes you drop me to keep him?
Bronws: ehhhhh... Brock Osweiler.
RG3: ... Brock... Brock Osweiler???
Browns: We'll good luck... see ya.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
RG-3 would've been better served by simply learning how to catch a ball and run some routes, and use all that speed as a deep threat receiver.

Reactions: angminas

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
RG-3 would've been better served by simply learning how to catch a ball and run some routes, and use all that speed as a deep threat receiver.

No kidding. The dude should have at very least been able to carve out a Kordell "Slash" Stewart type career in the NFL.

Reactions: angminas

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
If he wasn't so fragile, I'd say he'd make a good backup in Buffalo, since the offense they ran last year would have been perfectly suited to his pre-injury skills.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If he wasn't so fragile, I'd say he'd make a good backup in Buffalo, since the offense they ran last year would have been perfectly suited to his pre-injury skills.

Was wondering WTF you were talking about until I looked up the stats - 30th in the league in passing attempts and passing yards, and #1 in rushing attempts and yards. Now your statement makes perfect sense. RG3 and Colin Kaepernick can backup Mark Sanchez or whoever else the Bills can fool into taking the starting job.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
This thread deserves it's annual bump. Luck is playing at a high level and RG3 is a third stringer in Baltimore.

Reactions: Ken g6

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
This thread deserves it's annual bump. Luck is playing at a high level and RG3 is a third stringer in Baltimore.

Yet he may be 2nd on the chart next year. Similar playing style to Jackson and Flaco is on the way out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah, Luck is back to early career form; and "ROB" went out on an injury, again, as a backup, as expected...but history to date shows that Wilson is still the clear winner!

FUCK YEAH!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yet he may be 2nd on the chart next year. Similar playing style to Jackson and Flaco is on the way out.

Jackson is a terrible QB, though. The guy has no brains. Rob may be starting if Baltimore doesn't do something smart.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
yeah, Luck is back to early career form; and "ROB" went out on an injury, again, as a backup, as expected...but history to date shows that Wilson is still the clear winner!

FUCK YEAH!

Luck is a better QB than Wilson. Wilson has had a better team around him for most of his career. That is changing fast with Indy’s new offensive line, however.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Luck is a better QB than Wilson. Wilson has had a better team around him for most of his career. That is changing fast with Indy’s new offensive line, however.

Just as Peyton is a better QB than Tom, ...but he isn't really. Can't deny the records. Peyton had to deal with the same shit that Luck has to now, and for most their abilities to make those shit teams succeed in any way is rather telling, but there is still the history.

Wilson has had a shitty O-Line his entire career as well, was excellent in some of those years but fell off a bit recently. He has one this year, and he's playing extremely well. I can't at this point make the hilarious claim that Luck is better than Wilson, because he simply isn't in every metric you gauge QBs. I *think* he is, but the simple fact is that he currently isn't.

Mar 11, 2004
Since he loves unqualified jackasses that lie out of their ass constantly, did Turmp make eits the Surgeon General? Maybe not, since it seems that Turmp fancies himself as a bit of a gynecologist and so even Turmp isn't dumb enough to mistake NFL players with cheerleaders, so he'd be more qualified than eits. Maybe he's just the official chiropractor of the Turmp administration? Er, I mean, the Turmp Cheerleaders (so those one girls that did the little skit at the rally, where Turmp didn't pay them after promising he would or whatever?). Suddenly Turmp's doctor saying he's in perfect health makes sense. Turmp probably just had his wife or daughter get the exam knowing eits wouldn't know the difference between a 270+lb man and a 125lb woman.

Reactions: homebrew2ny

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Just as Peyton is a better QB than Tom, ...but he isn't really. Can't deny the records. Peyton had to deal with the same shit that Luck has to now, and for most their abilities to make those shit teams succeed in any way is rather telling, but there is still the history.

Wilson has had a shitty O-Line his entire career as well, was excellent in some of those years but fell off a bit recently. He has one this year, and he's playing extremely well. I can't at this point make the hilarious claim that Luck is better than Wilson, because he simply isn't in every metric you gauge QBs. I *think* he is, but the simple fact is that he currently isn't.

Ok, I stand corrected - I didn't realize Wilson was having as good a season as he is having or even as he did last year. Still, Luck's season is special given the major surgery he had. Remember, just a few months ago, doubts were swirling that he'd ever play again. I'd personally still take Luck. :) And the Pro Bowl snub in favor of Tom Brady? LOL, what a joke, but I guess it doesn't matter since no one cares about the Pro Bowl. Darius Leonard also got snubbed big time.

(Also, if we're speaking about records, let's talk about head to head records at the highest level where they could actually compete against one another in a game. If I remember correctly, Peyton was 3-1 against Brady in the AFC Championship.)

But regardless of all of that, we're guilty of derailing the thread, which is about Luck vs RGIII. @eits , care to comment?

Mar 11, 2004

Where the fuck are people getting this shit that Manning was on shit teams? I'd be fine with people arguing that other players had better all around teams (like Brees the year they beat the Colts, Brady consistently did), but Manning was hardly on that bad of teams. And he had some great skill players around him. Luck has had far worse teams than Manning had. I'd say Luck's had better coaches though.

Did Wilson fall off or did people stop paying attention because the team fell off a bit? Looking at stats, his 2016 was a bit of a down year after taking a big step forward in 2015, but 2017 was quite solid and inline with 2015, and 2018 is in line with both of those. I think Wilson has actually been pretty consistently solid to good. The defense kinda fell apart and of course losing Marshawn Lynch is more the cause of the Seahawks not being what they were.

Luck and Wilson are both consistently good to great QBs. They're actually kinda similar (avg 27-27.5TDs/year, Wilson averages 4-5 less INTs and has a ~4-5% better completion rate, but less yds/gm - although a lot of that was due to more run offense his earlier years so arguably he's the better QB but due to worse defense Luck is gonna be chucking more so I think they're more evenly matched). Good to see Luck seems to be back from injuries.

But really, Luck, RG3, Wilson, its all moot now that Patrick Mahomes II has arrived.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Where the fuck are people getting this shit that Manning was on shit teams? I'd be fine with people arguing that other players had better all around teams (like Brees the year they beat the Colts, Brady consistently did), but Manning was hardly on that bad of teams. And he had some great skill players around him. Luck has had far worse teams than Manning had. I'd say Luck's had better coaches though.

Did Wilson fall off or did people stop paying attention because the team fell off a bit? Looking at stats, his 2016 was a bit of a down year after taking a big step forward in 2015, but 2017 was quite solid and inline with 2015, and 2018 is in line with both of those. I think Wilson has actually been pretty consistently solid to good. The defense kinda fell apart and of course losing Marshawn Lynch is more the cause of the Seahawks not being what they were.

Luck and Wilson are both consistently good to great QBs. They're actually kinda similar (avg 27-27.5TDs/year, Wilson averages 4-5 less INTs and has a ~4-5% better completion rate, but less yds/gm - although a lot of that was due to more run offense his earlier years so arguably he's the better QB but due to worse defense Luck is gonna be chucking more so I think they're more evenly matched). Good to see Luck seems to be back from injuries.

But really, Luck, RG3, Wilson, its all moot now that Patrick Mahomes II has arrived.

Manning was on some good Colts teams during the middle of his tenure, but around 2007 or so, Bill Polian and Chris Polian started letting the offensive line go to hell by not resigning anyone and drafting folks who couldn't play. That's when the sacks started piling up and eventually resulted in Manning getting knocked out for the 2011 season because he reinjured a nagging neck injury. The jury is still out on who had better coaches, but I like what I see from Frank Reich and his staff very much.

I've been taking a bit of a break from the NFL and didn't realize Wilson was still performing very well - with the Seahawks not doing well the last couple of years (this season excluded), I probably assumed he was struggling but I was wrong.