ANDANDTECH SUBSCRIPTION discussion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drti

Banned
Mar 12, 2001
for all of those who happy with your $30 subscription and call me whining, NO, I AM NOT WHINING, you the one. the subject of this thread is ANDANDTECH SUBSCRIPTION discussion, try to read better before flame.

the tier subscribtion is a very good ideas. and no, AT will not lose money, they will make much more. given that some will opt out and go with lower package, but many more will subscribe. do you see the WALMART model, they lower their price and make it up in volume, samething with Microsoft and many more profitable companies.

AT has millions of registered ppls, if 1/3 or even lower number of ppls sign up for the lower tier package, AT will make much much more money. not very one willing to pay $30 for the service if they don't see it fit and worth. however, for lower price like $20, $15, or even $10, they will gladly support the forums.

i don't post or spend lots of time at AT, but i am annoy with the loading speed, and i willing to support the forums with $10 or $20 so that i can get faster loading speed. i don't much care for pm, that why people have emails, aim, wm, and icq. when you have to pay for mortgage and everything else, $10 here and there can add up very quickly.

BrunoPuntzJones is right on the subject.

Farmall

Jul 16, 2000
I'd be all for the tiered system, I rarely use pm's. I am here most days but I don't post that often so there are some who would think that I am crazy to subscribe. I don't have the patience to sit and watch the page load.

Anand got me to go for the $30 just for faster access, so why should he bother with the tiered system?
For me, the amount of info I've gotten and the laughs I've had are well worth the cost of the sub.

Farmall

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I tend to like the idea of a tiered system.
I think that $15 or $20 is too low though. Bandwith and colocation is NOT cheap.

The big seller is the fast subscriber server so I think that should be $25 a year with say a 200 pm storage limit.
For those that don't want to pay for the fast server but need more pm's they should sell a 1000 pm storage limit for $10 a year, 2000 for $15 a year, and 3000 for $20 a year.
If a person wants a custom icon (something which is not automated) a $20 setup or change fee (includes the 1st year) and then $5 each year thereafter. If you want to change your custom icon it's another $20 but you get a 1 year extension on your custom icon rights.

Then Anandtech could offer deluxe packages such as the fast server and a 1000pm storage limit for $30, and the Super Deluxe package for $50 a year with the fast server, 3000pm storage limit, and a custom icon with 1 free custom icon change a year.

What does anyone think of this?

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: AndyHui
Bandwidth isn't cheap you know.

Anand is haemorrhaging money with the amount of traffic that these forums generate. The amount of revenue generated by the ads (and no one clicks on them anyway) is just a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to run this place.
Just some constructive critisism; Perhaps you should re-evaluate some of the ads that you run.... for example, today there is Ad 1 and Ad 2. I don't think that anyone would really click on those...
Just a suggestion:)

btw, I usually have them blocked (Mozilla), so you won't be getting any clicks from me (unless you drastically change your advertising strategy):D

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: UberDave
My $30 goes towards making anandtech a better community and giving Anand a new car :)

I wonder if he's still got his Z3

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Depends on how actively you use these forums. I can see many personal situations where $30/year is simply too much. Why pay $30 to lurk and post twice a week? I went along with the subscription plan for the speed and the fact that my daily post count hovers around 10. Fortunately, the service is still fast even though I'm sure there are many more subscribers now than last November.

This is where I am. I primarily lurk and post at random ("What do you look so shocked for, man, fat bastard does this all the time. He thinks just cause he doesn't say anything, it'll have this huge impact when he does open his f***in' mouth") when the mood strikes. Hell, I don't know how I even got this many posts. Anyway.

For my two cents, even if a tiered subscription model was offered, I'd probably still go with the $30/tier, even though I wouldn't use all the features. I came on primarily for the speed, but I'm willing to pay the price because this is a great site and a great community. I could use the money elsewhere, that's for damn sure. But it's a once-a-year thing, it's not a per month charge. And for as much information and entertainment that I get from Anandtech and the forums, it's money well spent, I think. If I can throw a few pennies that way to make sure that it keeps running, then I'm all for it.

The only thing I'd like added though is the option to edit other people's posts, especially when they can't freaking spell. It's spelled SUBSCRIPTION. :p

DeschutesCore

Jul 20, 2002
Personally, I subscribed (6 month subscription) for several reasons.

1. I run several websites, and no, bandwidth is NOT cheap. Even general browsing of a website can generate bandwidth, throw in reduntant searches (slight variations on a phrase to return a desired result, etc.) and the meter goes off the scale. The people behind this site deserve something, and if subcription to a forum filled with almost any kind of discussion imaginable (Oh, poor us, only 30,000+ topics to mull over) is my only way to repay them, then so be it.

2. This site is damned useful, and no one can argue that. Any return is worth it and the owners have been more than fair, anyone seen what the hell happened to GameSpot? Try finding anything really useful without an account.

3. Banners just plain p*ss me off.

4. More bandwidth for a little cashola is way worth it.

5. If I have questions, the higher limits really help.

6. Did I mention bandwidth ain't cheap?

DC

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Well for $30 freakin big ones you get what you pay for... which is obviously faster connection..

That's the big perk of it all, you don't have to wait 5 mins for a thread to load. That's why I subscribed, I couldn't bare it... but now, hell, I'm getting used to my real world life and don't have much use for this place... damnit :(

UCDznutz

Banned
May 11, 2002
how bout a one or two day trial subscription for people to see if the speed difference and such is really worth it? i'm sure it'll change a few minds once they see what they're really getting (like myself, a non subscriber).

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
After reading the first post only.....
I've found that at some points, it's a bit slow, but for the most part it's decently speedy. 30/year isn't that much to ask, it's like $2.5 a month, not quite as much as your cellphone bill i'd imagine......i havne't subscribed yet, but i have a feeling i will shortly, simply to support anandtech, since the speed isn't bad.....oh well AT FOREVER!!!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Freejack2
I think that $15 or $20 is too low though. Bandwith and colocation is NOT cheap.

The big seller is the fast subscriber server so I think that should be $25 a year with say a 200 pm storage limit.
For those that don't want to pay for the fast server but need more pm's they should sell a 1000 pm storage limit for $10 a year, 2000 for $15 a year, and 3000 for $20 a year.
If a person wants a custom icon (something which is not automated) a $20 setup or change fee (includes the 1st year) and then $5 each year thereafter. If you want to change your custom icon it's another $20 but you get a 1 year extension on your custom icon rights.

Then Anandtech could offer deluxe packages such as the fast server and a 1000pm storage limit for $30, and the Super Deluxe package for $50 a year with the fast server, 3000pm storage limit, and a custom icon with 1 free custom icon change a year.

If Anand offered a super deluxe package I'd be the first to sign up :D

Static911

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2000
Why I subscribed and will continue to subscribe:

1) I broadened my knowledge via the Off-Topic forum. I can say, I further developed my critical reading and thinking due to the Off-Topic forum.

2) Anandtech taught me how to build a computer

3) Anandtech helped build my computer via the Hot Deals forum.

4) Bandwidth is not cheap.

5) Paying the webmaster(s) to maintain the website is not cheap.

6) The software(s) used to power the website is not cheap.

7) The hardware(s) used to power the website is not cheap.

Now that I run my own online forum, I found out through the hard way how fast I can burn through cash.

Ethan

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Sorry, but WTH is ADANDTECH SUBCRIPTION? Just seeing the title of this thread makes me LMAO.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Only if you could find a coupon + PM + Rebate to apply towards the purchase. :p

HamSupLo

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
I see no tangible benefits or value from subscribing, but that's just for me. If people want to pay 30 bux, more power to them.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Only if you could find a coupon + PM + Rebate to apply towards the purchase. :p

Actually I have received at least $300 in free cold hard cash thanks to the Hot Deals forum for opening accounts with various banks who give me $25, $50 or $100 for opening a checking account :D

Or $75 for switching to AT&T or $75 for visiting a Ford dealership for 2 minutes.

Ok make that $450 not $300, so in other words I pay 0 for my AT Subscription :D

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001

Anand is haemorrhaging money with the amount of traffic that these forums generate. The amount of revenue generated by the ads (and no one clicks on them anyway) is just a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to run this place.

Then why not kill Off-topic?????? Since the majority of threads/bandwidth is likely to be used in here... then why not get rid of it, and just concentrate on being a Tech Forum?? Since nobody clicks on the ads, then why provide the service at a losing rate???
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Let's face it. People may not get enough tech support or good tech discussions, or f/s deals done, or save enough money from the Hotdeals, or have enough fun in the Off Topic board for them to feel warranted paying $30 a year for the speed benefits of being subscriber.

That's ok. Don't pay for a subscription then.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: blakeatwork

Then why not kill Off-topic?????? Since the majority of threads/bandwidth is likely to be used in here... then why not get rid of it, and just concentrate on being a Tech Forum?? Since nobody clicks on the ads, then why provide the service at a losing rate???
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
If you'd been around a while longer, you might understand more easily - Anand does it because of the community. He's willing to take a loss for us, just not a 100k/year loss.

Rob

BigPotato

Banned
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Sorry, but WTH is ADANDTECH SUBCRIPTION? Just seeing the title of this thread makes me LMAO.

AHHAAHAH
u made me laugh and wake up my dog.
AHAHAAHA

drti

Banned
Mar 12, 2001
too d*mn piggy, missing one s and got flame for it, oh well, take the dictionary with you anywhere nerd.

uberturbo

Banned
Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: drti
anandtech have a subscription package for faster access:

3-month subscription for $12.00 (USD)
6-month subscription for $20.00 (USD)
12-month subscription for $30.00 (USD)

imo, $30/year is a bit too much to ask.
So, don't pay. They will charge the amount that produces the most amount of profit.

i think AT should lower their subscription to below $20/year. this will help them get much more subcriptions, thus much more money to support AT. its also affortable for many ppl out there.

They'll charge whatever they want.

grant that AT is a very good forums, but its has been very slow for non-subscribers, FW has much faster speed.

What do you expect? If the quality of service between free and paid account was negligible, nobody will pay. They offer better service in order to make money. Their action may please people as a side effect. AnandTech is a bussiness corporation. Their ultimate goal is making as much revenue as possible with lowest possible operating cost. They don't give a F.SCK about anything. The bottom line is money. This is capitalism.

Suggestion to AT: if AT is a non-profit organization, then AT should treat the subcribtion as a donation, not paying subcribtion like magazines or other for profit organizations.

Are you kidding? AT is registered with state of North Carolina as domestic business corporation. Domestic bussiness corporation means they're out to make money. The revenue comes from subscription, banner clicks, contracts and such. AnandTech's sole intention is to make money. It will be, it has been since 2/10/1999 when it was formed.

your opion on this matter is welcome

just my .02cents

It has been 3.5years sine AnandTech Inc was formed. Getting close to the critical point for an invidually started web business. Look how many business that flew in the sky went belly up within five years. Napster isn't making a whole lot of profit anymore. Many online site had gone belly up. AnandTech isn't immune.