And the Chromebook Pixel price is.....

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
$1300 for an android machine? Lol. If you're paying that much, just buy a machine with a real OS with zero app limitations.

If it was an Android machine it wouldn't be $1300 cause you wouldn't need an Intel processor or that much ram. And Android already does every basic function you would normally use a laptop for. As I said the ONLY reason why I use Windows is because of games. The day I stop caring about PC gaming is the day I ditch Windows for good.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
If it was an Android machine it wouldn't be $1300 cause you wouldn't need an Intel processor or that much ram. And Android already does every basic function you would normally use a laptop for. As I said the ONLY reason why I use Windows is because of games. The day I stop caring about PC gaming is the day I ditch Windows for good.

You can get a tablet with keyboard. By the time you strip it down that much by hardware and cost, its no longer a competitor to a laptop. The chrome book is meant to compete with a laptop and it fails hard on that front.

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
What are people finding they can do on Android that they couldn't do on Chrome OS?

Google will never put Android on a laptop. Chrome is the future for Google, not Android.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
What are people finding they can do on Android that they couldn't do on Chrome OS?

Google will never put Android on a laptop. Chrome is the future for Google, not Android.

Actually I've read that Google intends to eventually bring desktop Chrome (which essentially is Chrome OS) to Android. If that's true that means Android is the future.

You can get a tablet with keyboard. By the time you strip it down that much by hardware and cost, its no longer a competitor to a laptop. The chrome book is meant to compete with a laptop and it fails hard on that front.

I said if the Pixel came with Android I would get it. That would be a fantastic laptop IMHO, high specs (particularly the screen) with no bloated OS.

To me Chrome OS is meant for low cost devices, and Pixel would have been much better running with Android.

Last edited:

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Actually I've read that Google intends to eventually bring desktop Chrome (which essentially is Chrome OS) to Android. If that's true that means Android is the future.

I said if the Pixel came with Android I would get it. That would be a fantastic laptop IMHO, high specs (particularly the screen) with no bloated OS.

To me Chrome OS is meant for low cost devices, and Pixel would have been much better running with Android.

Chrome is Google's base platform that runs on Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, or as a locked down implementation on a Chromebook. For many people, it's good enough, and being so locked down would be appealing to businesses and people who just want a simple computer appliance.

Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux also all have a purpose beyond the Chrome platform. I can see Android and Chrome coexisting, because Android introduces a lot of complexity and security risks that businesses (and some individuals) would not want.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
It's a purely web based platform. Chrome running on Android doesn't have any of the benefits offered by Chrome OS.

While I'm sure there are maybe a handful of people who are willing to throw down $1,300 on a purely web based system, the majority of people are not.

I like Chrome OS, I have the Samsung Chromebook. I think it's a great little machine, but the specs on the Pixel beg for more than just a web based browser OS. Android doesn't have to always be on a tablet or phone, it has built in mouse support, and it would really thrive on a touch screen laptop.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Which doesnt make sense. Why would you need so much online storage?
Making videos? Can chrome do that? Does it have hi-end video editing software?
Making and hosting pics? Does Chrome have serious photo tools?
Music?
Large databases? Those are in MS Access and sometimes more advanced custom solutions. Does Chrome support industry tools like that? Why would copy over big stuff like that to your chromebook just to put on the internet?

Very good point. This thing just doesn't make any sense. Has Google responded to these criticisms?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Very good point. This thing just doesn't make any sense. Has Google responded to these criticisms?

It's not for professionals. It's about throwing out a bunch of space that Google doesn't have anything better to do with it so that people can dump enough junk their that they won't ever leave.

Google is a service company. Even though they sell hardware, they generally do it at cost, so they don't make money there. Where they do make their money is selling you their services or gathering information about you for advertisement purposes.

When selling a service, you need to keep people hooked. If they can store so much of your stuff that you can't move it elsewhere without paying more for storing it there, you won't leave Google. It's that simple.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
It's not for professionals. It's about throwing out a bunch of space that Google doesn't have anything better to do with it so that people can dump enough junk their that they won't ever leave.

Google is a service company. Even though they sell hardware, they generally do it at cost, so they don't make money there. Where they do make their money is selling you their services or gathering information about you for advertisement purposes.

When selling a service, you need to keep people hooked. If they can store so much of your stuff that you can't move it elsewhere without paying more for storing it there, you won't leave Google. It's that simple.

Then it'd be better if they offer incentives like this with a Windows machine or even their own Android machines.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
We've already had people contesting the mobile space with closed OSes and OSes that just front-end web app code. Android won because it does neither. I'm never giving that up for Chrome -- Google pulling something stupid like that will just open space for Tizen or whatever is lurking.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
That's laughable at best. Chrome OS has its uses, but taking over Android or the PC market is not among them.

I don't think it reads that way. To me it sounds more like;

Android - iOS
Chrome OS - OS X - Windows

Which is a long road ahead for Chrome OS..

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Google pulling something stupid like that will just open space for Tizen or whatever is lurking.

Tizen isn't going to go anywhere. It's just the latest rebranding of a long line of failed projects that never went anywhere. It's just Intel's way of trying shove x86 into phones

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
That's laughable at best. Chrome OS has its uses, but taking over Android or the PC market is not among them.
You think Google's plan is laughable? Do you really think ChromeOS would even exist if they didn't expect it to become a full desktop OS? ChromeOS isn't designed for the non tech savvy relative or those who just want to browse a bit of Facebook like most currently believe. It's intended to be a full blown alternative, they just need to get past this chicken or the egg problem.

Google will make web apps first class citizens on Android, indistinguishable from native in every way. Then comes the development and ironically, the end of Android on mobile.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
You think Google's plan is laughable? Do you really think ChromeOS would even exist if they didn't expect it to become a full desktop OS? ChromeOS isn't designed for the non tech savvy relative or those who just want to browse a bit of Facebook like most currently believe. It's intended to be a full blown alternative, they just need to get past this chicken or the egg problem.

Google will make web apps first class citizens on Android, indistinguishable from native in every way. Then comes the development and ironically, the end of Android on mobile.

Web apps worked really well for iOS, too.

/s

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
In fact, all signs point to web apps on iOS and Android being killed for native versions because performance is too slow.

It's somewhat cyclical. New startups don't want to spend the time to make native apps, so they'll go web first, which is piss-easy as both of the major mobile browsers are WebKit. As time goes on, they eventually start pushing towards native apps.

It's all a function of new companies with interesting ideas that gain a lot of traction vs. time. To some degree it also depends on web standards at the time. Eventually there's going to be an HTML 6, and there'll be a big swing back towards the web just because it's new and investors are idiots.