And the Chromebook Pixel price is.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's funny how the out of the 3 uber res laptops in the market, NONE are running Windows.

That's going to change Q2 of this year. I need a new laptop, but I'm holding off until Haswell when 3k resolution is supported, maybe higher. I can use a larger display and I don't care if it's an "uitrabook". I need a high res powerful machine for my photography needs, and being tied to a desktop doesn't work for that purpose anymore. The screen must be first rate though.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, that's Motorola who already had an established relationship with carriers and retailers before Google bought them... which is why I think the next Nexus phone may be from Motorola.

BTW, my carrier just discontinued selling the RAZR HD for whatever reason.

Yeah their relationship was shit.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
I'm tempted to order this on the chance that they cancel its release and give them away like the Nexus Q. :D

Now the Nexus Q makes sense, give a few of those away then hope people do what you just said, then diabolically actually release this thing.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, I'd buy one...

... the day $1300 comes raining out of the sky and the only way I get to keep it is spend it immediately on a Chromebook Pixel.

I'm thinking the folks at Google have spent a little too much time in the Googleplex, riding their Segways from the shiatsu lounge to the swimming pools while shooting nerf darts at the giant dinosaur.

Basically so out of touch with most people's reality that someone proposing a $1300 toy like this after their nap break didn't instantly get labeled a terrible idea.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
If it had a decent size SSD like 128gb for the price it would be ok but with 32GB it is quite possibly the dumbest things I have ever seen.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'm curious. If the Chromebook Pixel had Chrome OS swapped out for Android, would it be worth the price? It'd still have full Google Docs support and all the features of Chrome OS, but with a much more capable OS.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm curious. If the Chromebook Pixel had Chrome OS swapped out for Android, would it be worth the price? It'd still have full Google Docs support and all the features of Chrome OS, but with a much more capable OS.

There is no OS yet made which could justify the price. Its mediocre hardware with a neat feature: hi-res screen. Nobody needs that screen, its just for fun.
You are paying 1300 bucks for a gimmick.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
This may not be a bad price if you think about it another way.

Google Drive's 1TB is $50/month. That comes out to $1800 over 3 years (not including taxes and fees). So, the service that comes with this is worth more than the laptop. But, in order to really take advantage of that service, you have to have an internet connection that has a really good upload. If you don't, that 30GB SSD + Google Drive's 1TB cloud storage is the equivalent of a 1TB PATA drive, a painful combination.

In order to make this viable, Google needs to increase the SSD storage to at least 100GB or else it'll take forever to upload things to that boundless storage.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This may not be a bad price if you think about it another way.

Google Drive's 1TB is $50/month. That comes out to $1800 over 3 years (not including taxes and fees). So, the service that comes with this is worth more than the laptop. But, in order to really take advantage of that service, you have to have an internet connection that has a really good upload. If you don't, that 30GB SSD + Google Drive's 1TB cloud storage is the equivalent of a 1TB PATA drive, a painful combination.

In order to make this viable, Google needs to increase the SSD storage to at least 100GB or else it'll take forever to upload things to that boundless storage.

In that sense its like paying a shitload too much for a cell phone but getting free service. If people are OK with that, fine. But it only really matters if they actually get 50 bucks of utility out of it.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I think it would be killer if it ran Android. I think that price is a very reasonable price for an actual laptop with a screen of that resolution. The problem is that as is it's a $1300 web browser not a $1300 laptop.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
In that sense its like paying a shitload too much for a cell phone but getting free service. If people are OK with that, fine. But it only really matters if they actually get 50 bucks of utility out of it.

I really believe that when Google thought of this, they thought of this in the vacuum that is Google headquarters, Google Fiber, and Standford University. They thought this laptop, paired with the awesome internet connectivity at these places, would go great with the Google Drive service as an incentive. For them, 10, 20, 40MB upload is common. Well, it isn't in the real world and it just confuses people as to what Chrome is. Is it a premium product now or an inexpensive product as it has always been? In Google's world, this (along with the free service) is a great deal because uploading and downloading is really fast. In the real world, this thing is a joke.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I wouldnt be surprised if they got some next gen super fast prototype Wifi in their offices.
At school I'm limited to 10mbit which is just barely fast enough to stream youtube and netflix. And after about 5 minutes I think they throttle it.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
After playing around with one today (reviewer sample), my thoughts are pretty much confirmed. It's very clear that you are paying for hardware, as it is impossible to find another computer with similar specs at a similar price point (mainly the screen), but it does greatly show how bad ChromeOS is perceived by the market.

The laptop itself is well built, though for $1300, you would expect as much. It's the hardware you'd expect for $1300, but not the software.

ChromeOS needs to "grow up" and Google needs to figure out a way to leverage Android on this thing.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
After playing around with one today (reviewer sample), my thoughts are pretty much confirmed. It's very clear that you are paying for hardware, as it is impossible to find another computer with similar specs at a similar price point (mainly the screen), but it does greatly show how bad ChromeOS is perceived by the market.

The laptop itself is well built, though for $1300, you would expect as much. It's the hardware you'd expect for $1300, but not the software.

ChromeOS needs to "grow up" and Google needs to figure out a way to leverage Android on this thing.

Right now we are of the opinion they thought 3 years of hosting was the clincher. Thats what THEY thought, not us.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

They won't do that. They're always going to keep the local storage to a minimum. First, it's more expensive to add more local storage. Second, Google wants you using their cloud services because once you're hooked you'll probably stay hooked. Third, Google doesn't want a big local disk because then people would just buy the computer and install something else because ChromeOS isn't all that great for a computer in this price range.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Which doesnt make sense. Why would you need so much online storage?
Making videos? Can chrome do that? Does it have hi-end video editing software?
Making and hosting pics? Does Chrome have serious photo tools?
Music?
Large databases? Those are in MS Access and sometimes more advanced custom solutions. Does Chrome support industry tools like that? Why would copy over big stuff like that to your chromebook just to put on the internet?

black0ut

Feb 23, 2013
Google has been doing pretty badly with the whole chromebook lineup. How many original chromebooks did they sell? (the overpriced, underpowered one at $300)

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I don't understand why anyone would buy this. If it had Android, it would still suck. Nothing compares to a desktop OS.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I think it would be killer if it ran Android. I think that price is a very reasonable price for an actual laptop with a screen of that resolution. The problem is that as is it's a $1300 web browser not a $1300 laptop.

The other problem is hardly anyone wants a $1300 laptop either.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i just bought a 1000$ laptop

i would have paid 300 more for that screen rez

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I don't understand why anyone would buy this. If it had Android, it would still suck. Nothing compares to a desktop OS.

Nah if it had Android I would definitely buy one. The one and only reason why I use Windows is because of PC gaming, Android can easily replace all other computer functions for me.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
$1300 for an android machine? Lol. If you're paying that much, just buy a machine with a real OS with zero app limitations.