Anandtech is just another ShopSavvy site

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Well, the owner of AT and those other sites is called "Purch", so what do you expect?

Reactions: clamum

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Right, well expected or not, having your info sources compromised by commercial considerations is not conducive to objective truth.

I'll say, my spidey-sense tells me TopTenReviews is nothing but search-result clickbait. There's no way I'm clicking on a link with "TopTen" in the URL to find out about a product.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I still don't consider articles by Ryan and Ian to be compromised. Sure the site is taking care of business by horribly obnoxious advertising but I don't believe I've seen an obvious lack of integrity from the main writers. Couldn't say the same for their other sites though so not sure how long that will last.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I still don't consider articles by Ryan and Ian to be compromised. Sure the site is taking care of business by horribly obnoxious advertising but I don't believe I've seen an obvious lack of integrity from the main writers. Couldn't say the same for their other sites though so not sure how long that will last.

This.

I find myself spending more time at PC Perspective for news and reviews, though. Less commercial ties (as far as I can tell Ryan Shrout still owns it) and a willingness to monetize in other ways (Patreon for podcast).

But AT still has some of the best, in-depth reviews. As long as that doesn't change I'll keep visiting. I pretty much check all the main review sites and YouTube channels after big product launches, though.

Last edited:

edcoolio

May 10, 2017
Anandtech needs to pay the bills.

As long as they continue to do some good reviews with the technical data I need, I really don't have an issue if they make money.

Lets face it, doing some of these reviews is very expensive. Even if you get all the equipment for free (product placement), it is impossible to get good testing and writers for free.

Welcome to Capitalism.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
fuckin-a-man-fuckin-a.jpg

edcoolio

May 10, 2017
So give us a subscription option so we don't have to deal with all the ad and heavy JavaScript bullshit. I've talked to Ryan about it but it's out of his hands.
Fair enough.

Maybe a subscription option that is clean vs a "free" option with all the ads and Javascript...

Reactions: Crono

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So give us a subscription option so we don't have to deal with all the ad and heavy JavaScript bullshit. I've talked to Ryan about it but it's out of his hands.

I'm growing very tired of the heavy handed ads constantly highjacking the browser and wasting my time. I feel less and less welcome.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

You say that now, but with enough of us blocking ads they'll either have to find a way to subvert our blocking, put everything behind a paywall, data mine us, and/or switch to native advertising *shudder*. I'd rather not see questionable "partnerships" with companies coming down the pike. I wish they'd give us a direct support method, but with a publishing company owning the site it isn't likely. Too much overhead versus how the site used to be.

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
You say that now, but with enough of us blocking ads they'll either have to find a way to subvert our blocking, put everything behind a paywall, data mine us, and/or switch to native advertising *shudder*. I'd rather not see questionable "partnerships" with companies coming down the pike. I wish they'd give us a direct support method, but with a publishing company owning the site it isn't likely. Too much overhead versus how the site used to be.

You have a point. A lot of sites have a pop up asking nicely to allow ads to be displayed for those very reasons. If they're not too bad on that site I do. I use it mostly for Youtube

Ryan Smith

The New Boss
Staff member
Oct 22, 2005
www.anandtech.com
I still don't consider articles by Ryan and Ian to be compromised. Sure the site is taking care of business by horribly obnoxious advertising but I don't believe I've seen an obvious lack of integrity from the main writers.
Thank you for the kind words.

For what it's worth, as noted on the About page, my philsophy on the matter is roughly as follows

"Like other news publications since the beginning of time, writing about the world is both a business and a craft. Our goal is to get the best editors we can in order to craft you the best articles that we can, and at the same time stay out of the business of the editors so that they are free to do what is best."

I do have to make AnandTech work as a business, but it's important to me that Purch and I find ways to do that without affecting the content itself. Content is king; it's what brings you guys in day after day, and more importantly it's the quality of that content that has fueled AnandTech's reputation. Losing our integrity or objectivity undermines your confidence in us, and that is a line I don't cross. Which is why there's a firewall between sales and editorial, and is why you don't see things like sponsored posts or advertorials (the buyers guides I will straightforwardly admit are driven by commerce, though not the recommendations within). The editors write about things that they think are important or interesting, as how it should be.

If at any time you do feel like the integrity of the content or the authors is being compromised, then please by all means reach out to me. It'll either be a wake-up call to me, or, hopefully, I can explain to you what's going on and retain your trust.:)

As for the ads, I do hear you. The ad situation across the web has become quite bad, and AnandTech has followed that trend. The firewall means that as much the ad guys don't control the content, I don't control the ads. But what i can say is that the ad situation is a result of both declining ad rates and a reduction in direct ad sales. The problematic ads you see are almost entirely 3rd party "programmatic" ads coming in via Google and such. Programmatic ads fill in units for when we don't have a direct sale booked. The solution is to book more direct sale ads, but this is a challenge as the major tech companies have in the last decade shifted most of their remaining "techie" ad dollars into chasing general consumers. (Blogs aimed at new mothers, sports news, etc)

Meanwhile I want a subscription option, and now that we have HTTPS across the site that option is a little more viable. Still, it's not something I can promise right now, only something that we're looking into.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Lots of sites face the same issue. For example, PC Gamer gets a lot of money from ads for the same games it reviews, leading many to wrongly, in my opinion, accuse them of bias.

Anadtech content seems to avoid this problem - but of course when it does become a problem for a publication, they tend to hide it.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Meanwhile I want a subscription option, and now that we have HTTPS across the site that option is a little more viable. Still, it's not something I can promise right now, only something that we're looking into.

Thank you for this, and the entirety of your thoughtful response. I don't think we could reasonably expect or ask for more than that at the moment. :)

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Anadtech content seems to avoid this problem - but of course when it does become a problem for a publication, they tend to hide it.
Well I'm not sure how much overall they avoid this. Purch owns quite a few companies and don't they sell hardware that potentially gets reviewed here?