AnandTech Forum Guidelines

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I just received an "infraction" for quoting someone's babe picture in an OT topic.

What does this mean, exactly? It's this like a three strikes system, or just friendly warning?
A warning is a friendly warning, but an infraction is closer to a stern talking to. I wouldn't call it a strike, but if you keep getting infracted it's a very clear sign that you're continuing to do something wrong, and that you may want to change your behavior before we decide to send you on a long vacation for it.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I'm a new member and just finished reading this thread. Would someone please clarify what #14 is talking about? Thank you.
No posting threads asking people to tell you what something is worth.

ie: I have a Motherboard, model XXX what is it worth if I sell it?

Slinkwyde

Jan 29, 2012
Ah, ok. I have two more questions.

I found the definition for "nef" but what is "lifer?" I've searched, but can't find an explanation anywhere. I ask because I keep seeing those two words come up when I read to try to understand the rules. I've never encountered them before, despite having frequented many smaller forums over the past 10 years.

A "moderator call out" is a public complaint about a specific moderator and is against the rules, correct?

Last edited:

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Ah, ok. I have two more questions.

I found the definition for "nef" but what is "lifer?" I've searched, but can't find an explanation anywhere. I ask because I keep seeing those two words come up when I read to try to understand the rules. I've never encountered them before, despite having frequented many smaller forums over the past 10 years.

A "moderator call out" is a public complaint about a specific moderator and is against the rules, correct?

A lifer is someone with 10000 through 49999 posts. It is a forum user rank, similar to you being marked as a junior member.

To the best of my knowledge, a moderator call out is a public complaint against a single named moderator or a group of named or unnamed moderators or all the moderators collectively, and is one of the most heavily enforced rules around here.

AntiDanilevski

May 10, 2012

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Hi Anti;

As explained in your infraction, you were infracted for promoting your game. Our rule isn't against discussing Kickstarter campaigns; our rule is against developers coming here and promoting their own projects. Furthermore you posted the same thing in several other forums, which makes your post even spammier.

-Thanks
ViRGE

Last edited:

Habibrobert

Dec 17, 2012
Hello,

I know this is a weird question, but is there anyway to delete a post that you wrote yourself?

Thanks

Mactronix

Jun 11, 2013
Hi,
Having just registered I have to say this is a refreshing change. Having some amount of moderator accountability is something I have always found to be a good thing
The way the rules are laid out for all to see is also I feel very good, transparency for all.

I look forward to participating

Mactronix :)

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
I have over 25 posts and my account is years old and I still can't access Sale/Trade?
Looking at your post history, your 25th post only came within the last hour. The permissions system only updates a few times a day, so it could be several more hours until it next kicks off and gives you FS/FT access. Come back tomorrow and you should be set.:)

wally123

Sep 13, 2015
Do new members have to wait a certain period of time to access the Sale/trade section? Because I seem to be locked out of there,,,*shruggin shoulders*

wally123

Sep 13, 2015
Do new members have to wait a certain period of time to access the Sale/trade section? Because I seem to be locked out of there,,,*shruggin shoulders*

Nevermind, I got my answer.... need 25 posts?,,Really?... I don't talk that much to my wife in a month much less you guys/gals *LOL*

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Welcome Wally :)

Just start posting more and before ya know it you will have full access as I do :)

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
First time I had read this thread completely, probably learned a few things in the process.

No, I'm am not looking to start trouble in any way, last thing that I would ever need.

Apparently, there have been rule changes since Anand has left, that might not even be obvious for returning older posters, or are happening without a lot of public notification.

I'm not talking about myself in any case, I'm perfectly aware I'm under a magnifying glass all of the time.

But it just seems if you look at some of the old guidelines in some threads they are a bit out of date currently.

Off to other things, Cya.

:)

Last edited:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hi, deaconbling,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. Our forums are organized by different topics and areas of discussion. This forum is where our members communicate with our moderators about particular problems they may be experiencing on the forums, and this thread is about our forum guidelines.

I suggest you post your question on our Video forum, in the Video sub-forum.

You will probably get more useful replies sooner if you include more information about your problem, including info about the computer and the video card you are using.

We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited:

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Maybe someone can explain this to me. Why is there a no price check policy (#14)? Any other forum that I'm on, whether it is classic cars, RC model Aircraft, woodworking, etc., don't have this stipulation. As a matter of fact, if you look in the "The Garage" thread, this is never enforced. People ask all the time about what cars that they are looking at are worth, or what do you think I can get for my bla bla bla? I'm not a dealer, just an enthusiast, and I have a video card I was just thinking about selling, so I asked the question of what it is worth, and the thread got shut down. Yes, I know now what the rules are, but if you have too many rules, people like me tend to not read all the way to the bottom and post anyway (sorry).

Maybe if you set up a category for threads called "What's it worth?" and let people post there. If no one wants to look, reply, etc., then it is their choice not to.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
How many of these forums you mentioned have FS/T forums of their own? Just wondering.
The issue here was that some people using FS/T didn't know what to ask for their wares they were selling.
So they created a thread (i. e. selling video card, ask in VC&G) and asked what their item was worth.
They cluttered up the the tech side of things with non-tech questions and threads. We felt it was the responsibility
of the sellers to know what their items were worth at the time. We usually instructed them to look at past threads in FS/T or to go search on eBay.

Regarding your suggestion, I'll ask the mods what they think about this idea.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Are these rules and guidelines still valid for the forums? If they are not can someone please link me to a revised version.

Thank you

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Are these rules and guidelines still valid for the forums? If they are not can someone please link me to a revised version.

Thank you

That's the current version the moderators link to when reminding users of the forum posting guidelines when necessary.

Reactions: bbhaag