AnandTech Forum Guidelines

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
What happens if a mod harasses name calls or shows disrespect to the members he is appointed to moderate?
Send an email to the mod account. The Admins actually get it.

Is this the way it is now or the way it's always been?

I stopped posting in ATOT because a mod stepped over the line and deleted a post of mine that made him look bad. Not offensive or insulting or anything, just a juxtaposition of quotes that showed an error in logic. I got no warning and no vacation, just a post that vanished into thin air. I pm'd the mod account, emailed the mod account, everything on multiple occasions, and got nothing. It was insulting. These new guides are nice and all, but what prevents that from happening again?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Dubb
What happens if a mod harasses name calls or shows disrespect to the members he is appointed to moderate?

I stopped posting in ATOT because a mod stepped over the line and deleted a post of mine that made him look bad. Not offensive or insulting or anything, just a juxtaposition of quotes that showed an error in logic. I got no warning and no vacation, just a post that vanished into thin air. I pm'd the mod account, emailed the mod account, everything on multiple occasions, and got nothing. It was insulting. These new guides are nice and all, but what prevents that from happening again?

In the old days, ignoring a user was a way of saying no/not going to happen/etc.
With the new touchy/feelie forums, when a member whines, they should get an answer.
;)

EDIT

Personally, I think part of the problem is that the members see how a Mod posted as himself, but not what they did as a Mod. In my personal account I felt free to be myself which is a helpful person when need and an in your face jerk when needed.
As Mod, which nobody saw, I was nuking trolls, helping members get accounts back, helping with stopping FS/T trolls, etc.
Now I feel constrained because if oldsmoboat was to be oldsmoboat, someone would cry that I was doing it because I was a Mod. We were told that we could be free to post as ourselves regardless of the Mod moniker. But there will be many people that say we should set the example. I really don't have a problem with that but the line is subjective. I might say fuck, which is allowed, but another member would say that I shouldn't say that because I am supposed to set an example. I am within the guidelines but who wants to be criticized by or subject to the whims of another?
Yes, I could resign but that doesn't change the fact that ANYONE who is a Mod will have to deal with it.
We have new rules/guidelines. How about giving us a break and let's see how this works out?

Skipholiday

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
How about giving us a break and let's see how this works out?
I agree
It's better than it was. Lots of changes lately.

The majority of the mods have done an excellent job in the few years that I have been here.
I really appreciate all the hard work.

Thanks

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Dubb

In the old days, ignoring a user was a way of saying no/not going to happen/etc.
With the new touchy/feelie forums, when a member whines, they should get an answer.
;)

So in the old days, when a member who's been here for 3+ years, a couple thousand posts, and never had any trouble with anyone (never been warned, much less banned), raises an issue about a potential mod problem, SOP was to ignore it? There was that much faith in the infallibility of the mods?

I hate to appear prissy or like I'm holding a grudge, but I'd just like to note: I left because of some of the issues that it appears were eventually dubbed serious enough to try to fix (or at least issues in the same sphere of relevance). When I try to figure out how the singular problem I personally had with the mod staff would be dealt with under the new setup, it's implied that I'm a whiner.

Forgive me if I continue to limit my participation in the social areas of the forum. But I will be interested to see how things go.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
have you ever thought your post was accidently deleted?
:Q

mistakes happen ... i made one yesterday by deleting a link i should not have

I suppose anythings possible....

But given what the post was (a juxtaposition of a quotes by a mod that showed an error in logic and pretty much proved my point, along with my statement as such)...I really, really, doubt it. It was pretty obvious that it was deleted for personal reasons and other members pm'd me expressing disgust over what had happened.

I didn't make a stink, didn't make a public post, didn't call anyone out (and told others not to as well), just sent a few pm's and emails (which, I'd seen said by mods, was the preferred way to resolve such things), and after that, decided that if that's how things were going to be run, I'd just not participate anymore.

I guess my suggestion would be that there should be evidence left of deletions. A single line, small font "Post/thread by user xxxx from xx:xx pm deleted by moderator xxxxxxx" wouldn't steal too much page space except in the big spammer/nested quote threads/days, and I suppose then a single line could cover multiple deletions.

congrats on the promotion by the way.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
our mods have the option of editing posts and explaining why something was deleted therein.

going forward, only clear spam, personal attacks, or serious violations will be deleted. we may also choose to delete messages if there are a bunch of violations that would be edited out near eachother in a single topic to reduce clutter ... for instance, if someone is thread crapping or trying to derail a thread, we may edit one post and delete the others.

accidents may still happen, but if you have a problem, please post in personal forum issues, send a pm to the moderator or email moderator@anandtech.com ... we have changed the way we do things, and ignoring members is no longer an acceptible way to do things.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
our mods have the option of editing posts and explaining why something was deleted therein.

going forward, only clear spam, personal attacks, or serious violations will be deleted. we may also choose to delete messages if there are a bunch of violations that would be edited out near eachother in a single topic to reduce clutter ... for instance, if someone is thread crapping or trying to derail a thread, we may edit one post and delete the others.

accidents may still happen, but if you have a problem, please post in personal forum issues, send a pm to the moderator or email moderator@anandtech.com ... we have changed the way we do things, and ignoring members is no longer an acceptible way to do things.

I think you guys need more guidelines in P&N now that the Mods are outted.

It is making the ones that post nonsense, especially outside of the U.S. to be more brazen in their posting thinking they can get away with more.

I really wonder about what their motives are and agenda are using this Forum from foriegn soil commenting about U.S. issues.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
not a bad idea. thumbs up to the AT team. hope this all works or the best.

and lol to AnandTech Moderator's title :p

mavliu

Jan 19, 2003
I have a problem, I am trying to change some things such as email in my profile; however, it keeps saying access denied. Then what seems have done... is the forum logged me out?

I can change other things fine, except email which I believe is the important one. haha

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mavliu
I have a problem, I am trying to change some things such as email in my profile; however, it keeps saying access denied. Then what seems have done... is the forum logged me out?

I can change other things fine, except email which I believe is the important one. haha

Are you attempting to change to a banned e-mail provider?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: DerekWilson
...and ignoring members is no longer an acceptible way to do things.
Good! Speaking from personal experience, it's awfully frustrating to be ignored by the mods here.

Of course...and forgive me while I fan the flames a little...you're saying that, in the past, ignoring the users was an acceptable way of doing things here?

------------------------------------------------------------
Past actions from both sides of the aisle have been sealed

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

FiddleDD

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
thanks to all the people who spend their time improving anandtech. what is weird, is I've been on here long enough that its a more appropriate place for my college children than it is for me.

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
i have an important question: are the mods required to wear clothes when moderating? i don't like the idea of naked people telling me what to do.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: rubix
i have an important question: are the mods required to wear clothes when moderating? i don't like the idea of naked people telling me what to do.

We have no dress codes at the present time.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
If a new/unseasoned Moderator was to walk into P&N - roughly a third of the vocals would be in hot water.

Perhaps that's just what that particular forum needs.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I really wonder about what their motives are and agenda are using this Forum from foriegn soil commenting about U.S. issues.

And this is precisely the sort of mindset that needs to be terminated in P&N.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Personally. I'm not liking the Mod change.

I don't think Mods should be known by having it noted under their avatar.

I think if you're labled as a mod, it should make you more cautious in your postings so as to lead by example. But that is not happening, I see too many personal attackes by mods in places . We need less of that, not more.

Being a mod likley gives some readers the impression (understandably so) that your views are *endorsed* or official AT views. That's inappropriate IMO. (NOob - Oh I see that the mod prefers this or that product, that what I should get. They MUST know etc. Or the mod prescribes to this or that idea (or attacks that person), I'll do it too. We do have a lot of kiddes here guys.)

We now know that mods are *more equal* than the rest of us. Calling out a mod has gotten posters (jrenz IIRC) banned/vacations for participating in the same personal attacks that some mods do. Great, we now who we can't *attack*, they can attack us with impunity. I don't see the benefit there.

Finally, we now know who the mods are in a particlar forum, but we're not suppose to PM those mods with complaints or comments about that forum? That makes absolutley no sense to me. The only legitimate purpose I can see for identifying the mods is to know who we should to go about problems in a particular forum.

Fern

Rookie

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
I would only encourage that moderators be chosen by maturity and emotional stability, and not have it turn into moderators picking their buddies.

QFT

Having been a member for quite some time... I think this is a welcome change. I don't think it will be without growing pains; such is the nature of the beast.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
A much needed change to this forum to say the least, infact it's the only reason I joined.. (Takes lurking to the max)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
Personally. I'm not liking the Mod change.

I don't think Mods should be known by having it noted under their avatar.

I think if you're labled as a mod, it should make you more cautious in your postings so as to lead by example. But that is not happening, I see too many personal attackes by mods in places . We need less of that, not more.

Being a mod likley gives some readers the impression (understandably so) that your views are *endorsed* or official AT views. That's inappropriate IMO. (NOob - Oh I see that the mod prefers this or that product, that what I should get. They MUST know etc. Or the mod prescribes to this or that idea (or attacks that person), I'll do it too. We do have a lot of kiddes here guys.)

We now know that mods are *more equal* than the rest of us. Calling out a mod has gotten posters (jrenz IIRC) banned/vacations for participating in the same personal attacks that some mods do. Great, we now who we can't *attack*, they can attack us with impunity. I don't see the benefit there.

Finally, we now know who the mods are in a particlar forum, but we're not suppose to PM those mods with complaints or comments about that forum? That makes absolutley no sense to me. The only legitimate purpose I can see for identifying the mods is to know who we should to go about problems in a particular forum.

Fern

Yeah that's the take I have gotten too. Sometimes it almost feels like a taunt as in the past the same kind of post would have ATOT's neighborhood asshats jumping on the OP...now it's like 'Are you feeling lucky...punk?' heh.

What really bothers many is it's quite clear who the partial and impartial mods **may** be. There is no way to prove it, but if you go back to some of the classic threads and see two people getting into it (one a now known mod) and another...then all of a sudden a mod quote and lock or worst vacation given; you get a pretty good idea who the mod may have been.

I don't try to stir the pot here unneccessarily. I post about things that are happening/happened to me and just try to be open with my explaination. I don't expect anyone to agree with me; I know I have much different outlooks than the masses...but I don't expect ignorance or petty attacks.

I feel this is the one good change of it all. Too many people out there label a poster and then just attack them no matter what they post. To me that is just idiocity.

I just wish the mods would give the grammar nazi's time outs. We all make typos from time to time....very few of us have no clue to english. Probably about 90% of those using your/you're, there/their, etc wrong on the forums would never have those mistakes show up in a business email or paper. Many of us are trying to post while doing 3 million things.

If anyone thinks ATOT is out of control though, they should try car forums. Places like Zilvia and ziptied have small groups of friends that are very hard on outsiders. The mods and admins don't put enough of a foot down and it hurts their membership which directly affects their revenue.

AT is not a public forum though, so as guests it's our choice to accept the rules or not. Either way you are subject to them.

Rhapsody

Jan 1, 2000
I understand and will fully comply with the forum rules.

However, why is the sale of Academic software banned? I have a Windows XP Academic that does not anywhere on the box have "Not for Resale". Is the resale of Academic software not proper, or is this just and Anandtech rule to, perhaps, make sure that it is being used honestly? Thanks in advance for your response

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Rhapsody
I understand and will fully comply with the forum rules.

However, why is the sale of Academic software banned? I have a Windows XP Academic that does not anywhere on the box have "Not for Resale". Is the resale of Academic software not proper, or is this just and Anandtech rule to, perhaps, make sure that it is being used honestly? Thanks in advance for your response

It's not the box that is your 'license'...licenses I have seen require verification of attendance in an approved facility and some will bar resale of the software as well.

Most aren't going to supple a stranger on the net with their credentials to verify their enrollment. In today's day and age, AT could be held responsible for trafficking illegal software sales should one of their traders be non-legit.