Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 163 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
so the Founders Edition cards really are the best binned?...I thought that was just a rumor in regards to previous generations like Turing?...performance is also better then AIB cards?...if so then I might try and snag a Founders 3080

Reactions: Konan

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017

Is this serious?
All those new RT cores may be bottlenecked by the cache?
Makes me think about these recent rumors about RDNA2 having a LOT of cache. (and that an Ampere Refresh with more cache may hit hard...)

Reactions: Gideon

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
How are they pre-ordering cards on ebay? Like paying a price for a promised future delivery?

You are basically paying for someone else to secure a purchase from an actual retailer for you.

ALL ORDER WILL SHIP WITHIN 5-8 BUSINESS DAYS FROM BEST BUY RELEASE DATE Sept 17th

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
You are basically paying for someone else to secure a purchase from an actual retailer for you.

LOL this is nuts

Reactions: lightmanek

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

How is that legal? Is there a guarantee that this person on ebay will absolutely get one? Must be a retailer expecting stock.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
How is that legal? Is there a guarantee that this person on ebay will absolutely get one? Must be a retailer expecting stock.

People do it all the time with new launches now. Most sellers I've seen promise a full refund if they can't secure a card for you, but it can get messy with when the seller is actually able to secure the card and what the language they used in the listing for expected delivery dates and such. In these situations, if on launch day you can go to an actual store and buy a card, you can usually list the card for an even higher price than the pre-order sellers because you have the card in hand. It really got crazy during the mining boom but has continued at and around launch as well due to demand at launch greatly overwhelming available supply.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
People do it all the time with new launches now. Most sellers I've seen promise a full refund if they can't secure a card for you, but it can get messy with when the seller is actually able to secure the card and what the language they used in the listing for expected delivery dates and such. In these situations, if on launch day you can go to an actual store and buy a card, you can usually list the card for an even higher price than the pre-order sellers because you have the card in hand. It really got crazy during the mining boom but has continued at and around launch as well due to demand at launch greatly overwhelming available supply.
If they promise a refund if they can't secure a card for you, it's zero downside for them. Either they nab one and sell it to you for a quick $400, or they don't and oh well.
You'd have to be nuts as a buyer to agree to that, especially from some rando 7 feedback account.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
If they promise a refund if they can't secure a card for you, it's zero downside for them. Either they nab one and sell it to you for a quick $400, or they don't and oh well.
You'd have to be nuts as a buyer to agree to that, especially from some rando 7 feedback account.

Yeah, the risk is really on the buyer here, not the seller although the seller is out the listing fee I believe. I don't know, haven't used Ebay as a seller in a long time.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Although not necessarily in this case, but I can see electronics store employees (like a Microcenter Rep) being able to get away with buying one or two cards from the initial shipment right away and flipping them.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm expecting people to go to microcenter on release and line up to try and get a card. Most that get one may definitely want to sell it on eBay for higher profit. I see this happening with the price gauging based on the supply.

Although selling on ebay itself has become a cesspool. Every time I've tried to sell a high price item on there I have had to wait a week and relist it several times. Those who won are usually scammers or never intend on paying.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Has Nvidia put out an architecture paper for Gaming Ampere yet? I couldn't find anything in a search (except a couple of lame 'deep dives' by gaming sites).

FatherMurphy

Mar 27, 2014
Has Nvidia put out an architecture paper for Gaming Ampere yet? I couldn't find anything in a search (except a couple of lame 'deep dives' by gaming sites).

I don't think so (I haven't found one). Ryan Smith said he was going to post his deep dive several days ago but the Oregon fires (coupled with testing for the 3080 review) might be setting him back. Hopefully his deep drive will be included in the 3080 review on Wednesday.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I don't think so (I haven't found one). Ryan Smith said he was going to post his deep dive several days ago but the Oregon fires (coupled with testing for the 3080 review) might be setting him back. Hopefully his deep drive will be included in the 3080 review on Wednesday.
Does Ryan live in Oregon ?? If so, where ?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've grown a bit more curious about how well the Founder's Edition cooler performs. The 3080 and 3090 use what's almost like a tower cooler slapped on the back in conjunction with that front fan. Another user mentioned Best Buy adding Gigabyte's cards to their list of products, and it's an interesting comparison in regard to coolers. In comparison to Nvidia's FE cooler, Gigabyte's model just uses what appears to be a fairly standard three-fan setup but with a rather large/long heatsink.

What about that script that people were using to nab Nintendo Switches as soon as they came in stock? Couldn't they just set that up to guarantee however many units they needed of each type?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, then I hope you are safe from the fires as well!
I am not in zone 1,2 or 3, my brother is in zone 3, but went back home as things calmed down. Supposed to rain soon, and thats supposed to help a lot.

Oh, and my brother is impacted by the Santiam fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: tviceman

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Thanks, was waiting on Ryan as well.

Reactions: FatherMurphy

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Can you tell me why in brief please.
They wanted to use SS7 EUV, but yields weren't good enough. Presumably they just took the SS8 design that is being used for GA107/GA108 and scaled it up, rather than say porting it to TSMC which would mean next year.

More so than that, they wanted better pricing from TSMC, so started going with Samsung to try and get TSMC to keep nVidia's business at a lower cost to nVidia. TSMC said "nope". Which left nVidia stuck with Samsung. They did manage to get enough 7nm capacity (at full price) for A100. But the consumer cards all ended up on Samsung. But I don't think they ever intended to use 7EUV, as I don't think its compatible with 8nm process they ended up with (Which is a modified 10nm process).