Question 'Ampere'/Next-gen gaming uarch speculation thread

Page 128 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
How much is the Samsung 7nm EUV process expected to provide in terms of gains?
How will the RTX components be scaled/developed?
Any major architectural enhancements expected?
Will VRAM be bumped to 16/12/12 for the top three?
Will there be further fragmentation in the lineup? (Keeping turing at cheaper prices, while offering 'beefed up RTX' options at the top?)
Will the top card be capable of >4K60, at least 90?
Would Nvidia ever consider an HBM implementation in the gaming lineup?
Will Nvidia introduce new proprietary technologies again?

Sorry if imprudent/uncalled for, just interested in the forum member's thoughts.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Videocardz got a hold of an Asus PR about their cards, says "up to 1.9X performance-per-watt over the previous generation". Not sure I buy that, maybe close in RT?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Nearly 400w dumped in the case is big trouble. Might be the generation where reference card is smarter choice than 3rd party.

IF NV cooling is exhausting large percentage of the heat via backplate, and does so at reasonable noise levels i don't really care about power as long as performance lead is there.

What i am worried is 3rd party cards, that are "cool" by virtue of having 3 large fans and massive heatsinks, but dump 100% of heat in the case...

Time to break out the old Fermi memes...

image.png.3de8d258596d8b9c3286062902c1e141.png

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Yes, upping the performance per watt with 1.9x AND adding 100W might give us a good ride. Sounds too good to be true though.

Agreed. It has to be 1.9x in some very specific situation like RT or DLSS. Outside of that I'd be happy with a 50% bump across the stack. We'll see...

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
I believe that the 1.9 has been already mentioned previously in this thread, as 1.9 with RTX and DLSS.
I'm a bit saddened. "With DLSS" dosent tell us anything useful. Are they upscaling from 540p? of course they could show figures like this then. I feel they have found a loophole to circumvent the need to tell us in which resolution they are measuring things. Hope that Ian can poke a bit in this issue in an upcoming review.

DXDiag

Nov 12, 2017
The 1.9x will most likely be with RT and DLSS, with a frame cap of 60fps. Under those conditions using less power is pretty easy.
I really feel sad for you and the others, months of negative publicity on Ampere, downplaying every aspect of it based on false rumors, only to see it all crumbling down in the last few hours, at least try to have some tehcnical dignity and wait for the final reveal before spewing nonsense.

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
I have a feeling we'll need to wait for reviews to get the actual performance of these cards, the perf/watt comparison with RT/DLSS is convincing me of that. Looking forward to seeing the pricing.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
You just posted about how there is no loss in quality. Somebody posts loss of quality, and you say people should ignore that?

Of course i meant overall image quality and not a single scene - because it goes both ways. For some pictures/scenes DLSS2.0 has advantages for other TAA. Most reviewers consider consider both on even level image quality wise. In the particular case, the review where the unfavorable example for DLSS2.0 was taken from has many more samples where DLSS2.0 edges out TAA - but of course these were not posted to make a point.
However thing is, DLSS2.0 is leaps and bounds faster than TAA.

Reactions: DXDiag

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
So you're claiming 1.9x power efficiency gain, with 100W TDP increase leading to 2.6x the perfomance (in scenarios with no DLSS nor Raytracing). Can i quote you on that?

I would think it would be reasonably fair to at least 'give' them raytracing? There really won't be that much point in these insanely big cards unless you're doing that.

Reactions: Gideon