American Chopper: Senior vs Junior

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm definately no CPA but isn't that how it works when your tangible and intangible assets are the same?

Yeah I'm under the same impression.
Honestly too, with that monstrousity of a builidng they built, not to mention what seems like a mountain of the highest end hardware possible (do they really have an in-house rapid prototype machine?) at the WORST POSSIBLE TIME in the economy, OCC the business must be WAY underwater. OCC the brand name though I'm sure is worth something.

My friend has met Sr. several times... He has said in no uncertain terms that "he could have retired a dozen times over just off of t-shirt sales"

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Anyone still watching this trainwreck?
The episode last night had a nice build (barely featured of course). They built a bike for the guys on the Science Channel show "Meteorite Men" Not exactly a "chopper" but a functioning field bike. Looked pretty cool.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
JR and SR make money by doing the show. It is not like they said come film us build bikes, bitch and moan for free.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
JR and SR make money by doing the show. It is not like they said come film us build bikes, bitch and moan for free.

Also the 20% he owns in OCC (both past and present)... I'm sure that makes a pretty penny. Toss in the money for doing the show, appearences etc etc, not to mention I'm sure a pile of that stuff is comp'ed on loan for some name dropping and product placement.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
My friend has met Sr. several times... He has said in no uncertain terms that "he could have retired a dozen times over just off of t-shirt sales"
Did the t shirts buy Sr.'s house?

Looks like a pretty nice place......and I don't even like log houses.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
What about his garage and the car collection in there? It's disgusting.
Disgusting?

I think it's pretty nice.

I have no qualms about him spending his money as he wishes.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Jr's shop sucks. How can he be affording all that overhead with no business?

You're kidding, right? You watch the show and don't understand that the network needs to manufacture the angst between senior and junior to keep morons interested? TV will pay for the shop to get up and running because nobody would watch the show if it was just senior running OCC while junior went away quietly.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Would "keen" or "out of this world" have worked better for you grandpa?!
(for what it's worth, I'm not that young :))

being mean to old people is a sin. so be nice!:thumbsup:

the hardcore pawn show looks lame. do we really need another?

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Would "keen" or "out of this world" have worked better for you grandpa?!
(for what it's worth, I'm not that young :))
Must be my "seasoned" eyes....you look young from here. :biggrin:

I'm thinkin' "nice" would suffice.

Seems these new terms of "appreciation"..... like "sick" and "disgusting" have a different connotation for me that's rooted in my past.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
You're kidding, right? You watch the show and don't understand that the network needs to manufacture the angst between senior and junior to keep morons interested? TV will pay for the shop to get up and running because nobody would watch the show if it was just senior running OCC while junior went away quietly.

Calm down

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Must be my "seasoned" eyes....you look young from here. :biggrin:

I'm thinkin' "nice" would suffice.

Seems these new terms of "appreciation"..... like "sick" and "disgusting" have a different connotation for me that's rooted in my past.

You're whack!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
damn this show to hell... I'm STILL watching this crap.
I can't stop it.

What I find interesting is just how much better PJD (that's Paul Jr. Designs for you not in the know :) ) is than the OCC crew of designing the bikes. OCC may have the tools and over-all know-how on how to build the bikes, but PJD is just WAY better at designing. And that is what OCC just doesn't get... these bikes aren't about the "build", they are about the "design".

GD it, I hate this show for making me watch it. Only a few more episodes to go though I think...

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
damn this show to hell... I'm STILL watching this crap.
I can't stop it.

What I find interesting is just how much better PJD (that's Paul Jr. Designs for you not in the know :) ) is than the OCC crew of designing the bikes. OCC may have the tools and over-all know-how on how to build the bikes, but PJD is just WAY better at designing. And that is what OCC just doesn't get... these bikes aren't about the "build", they are about the "design".

GD it, I hate this show for making me watch it. Only a few more episodes to go though I think...

lol

Yeah the PJD bikes have been pretty cool. Right after Paul Jr. left OCC had some shitty looking crap come out.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Considering how much they are probably paying their lawyers, I dont' think it is a money grab.

I thought I saw a commercial that last night's episode was the season (series?) finale. But it didn't have that "the end" feeling.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wow. From the Wiki:

On December 14, 2010, Paul Jr. won his appeal of a lower court ruling forcing him to sell his 20% ownership of OCC to Paul Sr. Jr's appeal asked that the agreement to sell be ruled invalid, so Jr will continue to own 20% of OCC until a fair selling price is agreed to. Jr has also filed a counter-suit laying out massive fraud on Sr's part in dealing with Jr's interests at OCC. The suit seeks $10,000,000 in damages along with court ordered controls over the company's finances to prevent further fraud.

derp!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Considering how much they are probably paying their lawyers, I dont' think it is a money grab.

I thought I saw a commercial that last night's episode was the season (series?) finale. But it didn't have that "the end" feeling.

Yeah I can't find anything that shows what episodes are forthcoming (if any). It definitely did not have a "finale" feeling to it at all.