American Chopper: Senior vs Junior

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Did anyone watch AC:SvJ? (yeah I just dubbed it that...)
Yep, and like you I'll be watching again.

I can definately see both sides of their (Jr&Sr) story.

No matter what happens with their respective businesses, I can only but hope they patch the personal side before it's too late and everybody loses.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
Nobody wants to see Sr. having a bunch of yes men build bikes. Nobody wants to see Sr. build bikes himself. Nobody wants to see Jr. build bikes. They want to see Sr. get pissed at Jr. for being a slack-ass, and laugh at how much of a worthless moron Mikey is.

Hmmm actually the drama distracts away from the purpose of the show and that is bike building. Less American over drama and more informative bike buiiding tips and the show would do better internationally.

Shows should look at the top gear forumla and realise that their show is about the soul of motoring. No drama no crap just three guys that love cars. And top gear is bigger than any other motoring show

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hmmm actually the drama distracts away from the purpose of the show and that is bike building. Less American over drama and more informative bike buiiding tips and the show would do better internationally.

Shows should look at the top gear forumla and realise that their show is about the soul of motoring. No drama no crap just three guys that love cars. And top gear is bigger than any other motoring show

No. I think you're missing the fundamental purpose of shows like American Chopper. It IS about the drama and crap. It is NOT about the bike building.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
No. I think you're missing the fundamental purpose of shows like American Chopper. It IS about the drama and crap. It is NOT about the bike building.

I think your misunderstanding, its supposed to be an appreciation for bikes, but instead it shows three drama queens.

American hotrod was ok, it had a little bit of drama but they maintained a good focus on the cars, at least early in the series. I heard boyd codington died??

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001

I always wanted to see more of how they built the bikes, but was also amazed at some of the stuff they did show - like the time Junior jammed a battery into the battery box - there is NO way that battery will come out when it's time to change it. He actually stepped on the battery to get it to fit IIRC.

Junior may be a *pretty* good designer, but he isn't much of a mechanic and I got sick of his prima donna routine.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think your misunderstanding, its supposed to be an appreciation for bikes, but instead it shows three drama queens.

American hotrod was ok, it had a little bit of drama but they maintained a good focus on the cars, at least early in the series. I heard boyd codington died??

EVERYTHING past season 1 (that's 6 seasons worth now) has been nothing but drama. It started out as a simple "appreciation of bikes" but TLC realized that if they wanted the show to have legs, then it would have to be about the drama 51% or more of the time. It would have NEVER have lasted more than 2 seasons otherwise.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I'd rather American Pickers and Pawn Stars
Pawn-Stars-im-rick-harrison-and-this-is-my-pawn-shop-well-actually-its-my-dads-but-he-lets-me-work-here.jpg

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I watched this the other night. It got me to wondering if the whole "fight" was a set up to get more viewers and money from TLC.
And what happened to V Force Customs if Vinny is going to work for Paul Jr? It looked to me Vinny quit because of Paul Jr.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I watched this the other night. It got me to wondering if the whole "fight" was a set up to get more viewers and money from TLC.
And what happened to V Force Customs if Vinny is going to work for Paul Jr? It looked to me Vinny quit because of Paul Jr.

exactly.

and why SR just happen to stop outside jr's shop while he is outside with cameras?

i do like Jr's designs they are rather amazing. but after that he needs to walk away from the bike and let others finish it.

i like these auto shows. but ones that show how to do stuff. Like trucks! though they make it look rather easy

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000

It was NEVER supposed to be about building bikes. It was supposed to be about the people that built the bikes, and the volatile relationship between Sr and Jr made it what it was. That's why they got the show in the first place.

If they wanted a show that just appreciated bikes and bike building, those dudes wouldn't have a show....they'd be over at someone like Billy Lane's filming.

Honestly....in the early days, all they did was take off-the-shelf frames and stuff, and then dress them up with fabbed accessories. (pretty much what they still do, esp. Sr.) Look at all their early bikes, that's all they are.
Neither Sr nor Jr has shown any sign that they have a clue about the engines or transmissions.
Neither is a master welder. (nobody on the show could pass real welding certifications, and that goes for people like Jesse James, too)

I liked some of their finished products, but really, that show was all about the drama, the bike assembly was secondary.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I always wanted to see more of how they built the bikes, but was also amazed at some of the stuff they did show - like the time Junior jammed a battery into the battery box - there is NO way that battery will come out when it's time to change it. He actually stepped on the battery to get it to fit IIRC.

Junior may be a *pretty* good designer, but he isn't much of a mechanic and I got sick of his prima donna routine.
Agree. He comes up with some neat ideas sometimes, but nothing terribly innovative. And you're right, he knows nothing about mechanics. That much is obvious.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Ive seen every episode, and honestly I've never seen him (intentionally) lowball anyone. I get MORE pissed off when the appraiser comes in, says it would go for $1000 at auction, then the seller expects to get paid that. So stupid.

Even worse is when people expect MORE than the auction price. Instead of asking for the $1000 they'll say something crazy like $2000.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
I liked some of their finished products, but really, that show was all about the drama, the bike assembly was secondary.

Dont you think that this is sad.

Take Top Gear for example. It has been around since 1977, but found its feet in the 1990's when a guy called Jeremy Clarkson came aboard. Why has a motoring show lasted this long? Very little drama. Loads of quality film footage and brutally honest car reviews.

Crappy shows that have too much "Amercian overhype" will never last as long.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Dont you think that this is sad.

Take Top Gear for example. It has been around since 1977, but found its feet in the 1990's when a guy called Jeremy Clarkson came aboard. Why has a motoring show lasted this long? Very little drama. Loads of quality film footage and brutally honest car reviews.

Crappy shows that have too much "Amercian overhype" will never last as long.

Well AC is on it's 7th year. That is a pretty decent run. It's stupid to compare it to Top Gear. You're missing THE POINT. AC is NOT about the bikes. Never has been AT ALL. The bikes are simply a vehicle (no pun intended... Ok maybe somewhat) to showcase the relationship and the drama in this family run business. OCC was never on anybody's bike building radar before the show... these guys were simpletons in the bike building world. Nobody knew of them. They did some custom work and that's it. But TLC saw the DRAMA that was there (and that could be fueled, scripted and marketed) and jumped all over it.

Feb 10, 2000
Both Sr and Jr seem like jackasses, but to me there's no question Jr is a talented designer. I don't like choppers and would not buy something he built (particularly because of the way they cut corners mechanically sometimes), but I will give credit where credit's due. I haven't seen the show in a couple of years, though. I kind of lost interest once they moved into that giant facility for whatever reason.

I LOVE Pawn Stars - that's the most entertaining reality show to debut in years IMO.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You know what's funny that stemmed from Thursday's show? That the assessed value of the OCC company is $0

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I saw a commercial for another pawn reality show, it was called Hardcore Pawn. I chuckled at the title.

Don't know what channel it was though, trutv or something.

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
TLC is pretty much garbage

the custom chopper market has to be in the shitter just like everything else in this economy

too many shops already and now this