"American Atheists Sue Over World Trade Center Cross"

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It's because they hate my sky wizard soo much that they want him defeated at every turn...

But it is; it is sharing what others have said about their sky wizard and how their lives have been touched by the invisible man in the sky that will spank you...

So it's stupid, stupid, stupid; like believing in a processed wheat product living invisibly in the sky.

How dare people be so stupid! They make me feel bad for masturbating! And go around spending the money I gave them to build roads and defend the borders on trying to please the invisible sky wizard! I hate them and they can't go sharing with others what they've experienced from their invisible sky rapist with the money I gave them to keep our government running!

Anything that shows a positive personal impact from having faith must, by definition, be delusional in nature, and based on a lie that causes others to question my world view of only ignorant worthless sacks of shit being willing to believe in stupid fucking fairy stories that tell me not to fuck-around on my wife, unless, of course, I think sky daddy wouldn't mind, but I should get my friends together and throw stones at her until she is dead if she fucks around on me!

This is not about the state establishing religion; it's about people who violate society's mores and folkways not wanting to feel bad about themselves. All under the guise of 'tolerance' and intellectual superiority. (note: tolerance for people who are harming no one else is a good principle)

It is about fighting for what little freedom of religion we have left. Every inch must be fought for, or the religious fuckwads take a mile. Let them have 'in god we trust' on the money, and they feel free to re-write history to make the founding fathers religious and our nation based on christian ideals.

also they stress too much and will die early; which is sad, because they are going to go to surprise heaven (just like the Islamic, Jewish, Mormon and anyone else that even slightly disagrees with me)

Um.. Apples-to-Apples? Yes; if some people gave their lives to try and save others and where inspired by His Noodly Appendage I would be happy to have a memorial to that placed at said location; Same with any other religion of a fire-fighter trying to save lives or anything else.

But you don't' get to put a fucking harry Krishna whatever the fuck there just because; it should have some fucking meaning connected to the memorial it self.

And here is the problem, you don't even know what you are talking about. It is not Harry Krishna it is Hare Krishna and it is a form of Hinduism. So, yes there was probably Hindus that were killed in the buildings, on the planes, and there were probably Hindu firefighters, and workers. Your Christian arrogance just assumes that everyone else doesn't matter, and that because there are so many of you in this country you get your way and can just stomp on anyone that disagrees with you.
That is exactly why America has a legal system in place, and why it is so important for Atheist organization to fight for ever little thing. Each time we let something pass it is used as a club to knock out anyone that doesn’t agree with the majority.

To those asking why Atheists would fight for equality for all religions, well, because someone has to. Other religions sue all the time for this sort of thing, but you rarely get pissed when a Jewish group sues to get included in something. But atheists pose such a great threat to you that you have to get angry at the atheist to block out the fact that you know his questions are valid, and that your religion has no answers to them.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
christianity hasn't killed anyone.
That's a bit of a disingenuous hair to split, IMO. I'm not one to waste time trying to compare death tolls, but if it is true that Christian beliefs motivated a lot of Christian individuals to do a lot of Christian killing, I don't think it is false to say that "Christianity has killed people."

/No True Scotsman objections will be met with the derision they deserve.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
WHat ever happened to praying in Chruch? Chruch is the place for religion, not WTC, walmart, city hall, McDonalds, Disneyland, Payless show store, or radio shack.
How bout just keeping it all churched? WHere is was meant to be...
Anyone that tosses around their religion like rotton eggs, outside the church, are just ass holes and certainally NOT religious. Not that they'd know real meaning of religion if it stood up and bit them in the ass.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Well, if they allow the cross on there they should allow signs from every religion including Islam. Hmm but what to show for Atheists/Agnostics? (Agnostic myself).

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
WHat ever happened to praying in Chruch? Chruch is the place for religion, not WTC, walmart, city hall, McDonalds, Disneyland, Payless show store, or radio shack.
How bout just keeping it all churched? WHere is was meant to be...
Anyone that tosses around their religion like rotton eggs, outside the church, are just ass holes and certainally NOT religious. Not that they'd know real meaning of religion if it stood up and bit them in the ass.

Nominated for most bigoted post of the year.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
It is not Harry Krishna it is Hare Krishna and it is a form of Hinduism.

It's harry krishna and it's a religion i started where by i yell at people to give me money for flowers.

Last edited:

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
Well, if they allow the cross on there they should allow signs from every religion including Islam. Hmm but what to show for Atheists/Agnostics? (Agnostic myself).

The actual Freedom Tower itself. The magority of engineers and architects who designed it were atheists.

Religious idiots can keep their stupid crosses and whatever other useless bullshit they think matters. Atheists are too busy designing and building stuff that actually matters.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Nominated for most bigoted post of the year.

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Edit: Oh ya, that's like on page 10 of the New Testament.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
If we're comparing apples to apples then we must look at those that wanted to repress faith vs. who's motives were to establish a church as the governing force in a land.

Stallen: 20mill
Mao: 4mill

Crusades: 5mill
Columbian exchange only counts for those that where killed directly; as even contact with atheists would have lead to CX deaths

An atheist government must be teleological in it's ethics, as "you can't legislate morality" takes its full form in ignoring the well being of minorities for the benefit of the central government (and thus the 'people'). Look at the horrible environmental destruction in china if you don't think that plural-ethics have a place in governance.

Similarly religious governments repress the minority as well; only government that recognizes the rights of the minority while still making law based on the ethical-will of a plurality can achieve an success Kantian deontological ethics in government.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
If we're comparing apples to apples then we must look at those that wanted to repress faith vs. who's motives were to establish a church as the governing force in a land.

How does that work out as a percentage of the world population at the time?

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008

Columbian exchange only counts for those that where killed directly; as even contact with atheists would have lead to CX deaths

An atheist government must be teleological in it's ethics, as "you can't legislate morality" takes its full form in ignoring the well being of minorities for the benefit of the central government (and thus the 'people'). Look at the horrible environmental destruction in china if you don't think that plural-ethics have a place in governance.

Similarly religious governments repress the minority as well; only government that recognizes the rights of the minority while still making law based on the ethical-will of a plurality can achieve an success Kantian deontological ethics in government.

Stalin didnt kill 20 million because of religion. Most were killed for other reasons.

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
If that's the case then even the holy wars were about money and power; not religion.

Stalins end goal was to control Russia with an iron fist. To do that he had to kill a few people because of their religion. Most were kill for other reasons.

The crusades goal was to spread christianity.

Totally different motivation.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
The crusades goal was to spread christianity.
The middle east is a valuable trade route that the church wanted tithing from; it's all about human power and money.

But the auspice of Jesus has killed many fewer than the auspice of Marxist atheistic utopia.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I think it's clear that dixycrat isn't educated or mature enough to have a real discussion

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The middle east is a valuable trade route that the church wanted tithing from; it's all about human power and money.

But the auspice of Jesus has killed many fewer than the auspice of Marxist atheistic utopia.

Of course, since there is no god he could not have really told some old man to kill a bunch of arabs. So, there was obviously some other reason. The difference is people really believed that old man talked to some all powerful sky daddy that said he would smite them if they didn’t kill a bunch of arabs.