"American Atheists Sue Over World Trade Center Cross"

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
link

The article is short, but for those of you with ADD here are SOME of the important bits...

An atheist group sued today over the inclusion of cross-shaped steel beams, dubbed the "World Trade Center Cross," in the exhibit at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum.
Last weekend the 17-foot cross, discovered in the rubble of 9/11, was given a "ceremonial blessing" by the Rev. Brian Jordan, removed from it's temporary post near St. Peter's Church and lowered 70 feet into its permanent home inside the museum.
In a statement to ABCNews.com, the memorial foundation identified the cross as a "symbol of spiritual comfort for the thousands of recovery workers who toiled at ground zero," as well as an "authentic physical reminder" that "tell the story of 9/11 in a way nothing else can."
Silverman also said that, "We have not heard of any other religious groups at all that have been allowed to put something up."
The 9/11 Memorial foundation told ABCNews.com that other religious artifacts will be included in the 9/11 Memorial Museum. A Star of David cut from WTC steel and a Bible fused to a piece of steel that was found during recovery efforts will both be on display in the same historical exhibition as the cross.
A Jewish prayer shawl, donated by a victim's family member, will be part of the museum's memorial exhibition.
The cross was moved into the exhibition earlier than the other artifacts due to its large size, according to the Memorial foundation.
Silverman said that if the 9/11 Memorial foundation allows all other religious memorials of equal size and prominence to be displayed in the museum, the group would "happily, happily, drop the case."
"It's an all or nothing deal. They can remove the cross, or they can let everybody else in. Either way is legal and we would drop the case," Silverman said.

second link

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Well..."symbol of spiritual comfort for the thousands of recovery workers who toiled at ground zero,"
the context seems somewhat appropriate? I have to scratch my head though because a lot of the other religious iconary doesn't seem to actually server a purpose and taken as a whole...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Is finding a cross in a piece of rubble much better than finding Jesus in a Wal-Mart receipt? :p

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Jane Everhart, who is part of the atheist's suit, derided the cross as nothing more than "ugly piece of wreckage" that "does not represent anything … but horror and death."

So hateful!

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The American Atheists, which advocates an "absolute separation" of government and religion, filed the lawsuit Monday to stop the display of the cross, arguing that it should not be included if "no other religions or philosophies will be honored," according to a statement on the group's website.

"The WTC cross has become a Christian icon. It has been blessed by so-called holy men and presented as a reminder that their god, who couldn't be bothered to stop the Muslim terrorists or prevent 3,000 people from being killed in his name, cared only enough to bestow upon us some rubble that resembles a cross," the group's president, Dave Silverman, said in a press release. "It's a truly ridiculous assertion."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/2...splay-wtc-cross-at-11-memorial/#ixzz1TLFc1KGS

But museum organizers say the cross, which is a symbol of hope for many, should have a place at the memorial.
The cross is "an important part of our commitment to bring back the authentic physical reminders that tell the history of 9/11 in a way nothing else could," 9/11 Memorial president Joe Daniels said Saturday, the Christian Post reports.
"Its return is a symbol of the progress on the Memorial and Museum that we feel rather than see, reminding us that commemoration is at the heart of our mission," Daniels reportedly said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/2...splay-wtc-cross-at-11-memorial/#ixzz1TLFgptpM

which one makes sense? I say GOOD

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I usually think these Athiest groups are a bunch of asshats, and these may in fact be asshats.. but I personally don't like the cross either. Seems somewhat inappropriate.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
slayer202's post had the following quote:

The cross is "an important part of our commitment to bring back the authentic physical reminders that tell the history of 9/11 in a way nothing else could," 9/11 Memorial president Joe Daniels said Saturday, the Christian Post reports.

I don't get it... what exactly does a piece of the World Trade Center that happened to break off into a cross shape tell about the history of 9/11? I mean, if that cross-shaped set of beams had more of story to it... like it somehow saved a bunch of people or whatever, then it'd make sense. It's not like a cross shape is even a shape that would be out of the ordinary to find in a building... I mean, how often does a lateral beam cross a vertical beam? :p Show me a pretzel shape, and then we're talkin'!

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
In the end I don't care what they put in the museum. Since there seems to be no way to handle this fairly, I would think leaving out all religious iconography is the easiest solution.

On a side note: When I see that all I can think is that the building was made of crosses and Allah still knocked it down. Do christians really want to point that fact out?

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
So far, I've reached two conclusions about this. The American Atheists have a reasonable argument. The American Atheists have a tendency toward douchebaggery.

Also,
When I see that all I can think is that the building was made of crosses and Allah still knocked it down. Do christians really want to point that fact out?
makes me :D

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Well..."symbol of spiritual comfort for the thousands of recovery workers who toiled at ground zero,"
the context seems somewhat appropriate?

What about all the non-Christians that toiled at ground zero? In addition, it seems like putting up a cross like that just turns 9/11 more into a "Muslims vs Christians" issue, which it shouldn't be.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
lol idiots on all sides. At least we are fighting about stupid shit like this not strapping bombs to each like like some rats do on the other side of the planet.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
What about all the non-Christians that toiled at ground zero? In addition, it seems like putting up a cross like that just turns 9/11 more into a "Muslims vs Christians" issue, which it shouldn't be.

I definitely agree about the Muslims vs Christians issue. But if the cross REALLY did have some significance to many of the workers there it at least has some merit. But ya, like I said the fact that they're combining this with all the other religious iconography and the MvC point I have to really wonder if it's even worth it and that it all sends an inappropriate message.

I am an atheist for the record.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
In general atheists shouldn't `t feel anything about religious objects since they represent nothing(in their view).It`s more likely that competing religions or ideologies (which seek to replace religion) pull this kind of crap,an agenda of sorts.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I'm not religious and when I was younger I would have called myself an Atheist but it has gotten to the point where Atheists are more annoying than religious people.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
In general atheists shouldn't `t feel anything about religious objects since they represent nothing(in their view).It`s more likely that competing religions or ideologies (which seek to replace religion) pull this kind of crap,an agenda of sorts.

You're missing the point completely, as are most people in here

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'm not religious and when I was younger I would have called myself an Atheist but it has gotten to the point where Atheists are more annoying than religious people.

I know how you feel and I actually know at least one Christian who doesn't like to call himself a Christian because of how other, more hardcore "Christians" behave. Even if they are in the minority, they give the more reasonable Christians a bad name.

I am a non-believer but the term "atheist" has so much stigma attached to it and it's often used by militant douchebags. So I prefer to just call myself "non-religious."