America the greatest nation?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: TheSiege
Not The Hightest IQ
38th In Life Expentancy
We are just above Montenegro for population in poverty
We are the most in debt
We have the most external debt
Highest in electricity consumption
#1 in oil consumption
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures">We are #1 in military spending, 8 times more then the
2nd place, and almost double all of europe</a>
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions">#1 in CO2 emissions per capita, out beating china who
has more then 3 times our population</a>
jesus we are 13th in beer consumption

And as we all know, the power of the all mighty dollar is sinking fast.
Don't get me wrong, I love my country. I'm glad to be here. I'm thankful for it everyday. But we need to open our eyes, what happened to the US.
We are using up natural resources at an alarming rate, our schools are failing in areas with low property values. And all we have to show for it is, "Hey we spend a shitload on our military" I guess this kinda turned into a rant, which wasn't my intention. I'm just wondering....what ever happened to US?

Instead of posting old news why don`t you do something about it...hit the streets....to make a change..

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Casawi
I am not an American and : Why not if you can get away with it. However I do think there need to be some adjustments, the U.S is gambling too much and makes it vulnerable to ...
It can turnout good, if they manage to control the oil business and keep it in US $... but this route will most likely cost a lot of lives and can lead to a bigger WAR.

I can't...understand what you are....saying when you use...so many ellipses.

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
You make some good points but from reading the article on IQ I don't see what your problem is, afaik IQ is more of something your born with and can't do much about and when your only 2 points under the average that isn't horrible, you do the best with the hand your delt(also I'm sure we could hit 100 if there wasn't miss south carolina), and also the article on poverty refers to the national poverty lines(I don't think that China would have on 4% under the poverty line by our standards and we beat the UK by 5%) which are determined by each country. Finally what you say about military spending is probably true but you should also compare military strengh, when you say we spend more than all of Europe you have to take into account that we could probably defeat their combined armies/navies/airforces (nothing is ever certain in war but in most senarios I could see the US as the victor) Yeah America is not perfect but it still is a damn fine country and I would rather die for it than live any where else(plus what would be the fun in it if we dominated at everything)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
all depends on how you measure it. it can be tweaked until you get the result you want. sure some places are "nicer" by some standards, but if sh*t goes down somewhere else in the world and an intevention is called for what do they have? some of those places don't even have a single aircraft carrier. so it depends on how you measure greatness.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Feel free to leave whenever you want.

Hey, good thing the Founding Fathers didn't leave when they didn't like the system. I'm sure there were plenty of Nationalists who felt that they should just leave if they didn't like it. There's always room to improve. Were some of you coddled throughout life? You seem to have such a difficult time with criticism.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Do you really need a link for that (at least in modern terms)?

Yes, because most of the things he mentioned in a later post were not invented here. The US does not (nor ever has) have a monopoly on science and technology. Many of the greatest minds that influence our daily living never even set foot on these shores. Ignorance like that is the reason why many around the world hate Americans.

Before making such wild claims you better make certain you have your facts correct.

it's not a monopoly
It's just a lot

The problem is, alot of countries have produced alot of the world's greatest inventions. Modern inventions didn't come about withiout previous inventions, which should be obvious.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..and don't forget we're #1 when it comes to whiners and gloom and doomers.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
We are not without our flaws but there is not one country in the world that comes close to the amount of positive influence we have had on the planet since our founding.

Umm, that's a little...naive. Like any of the major world powers throughout history, the US did a lot of really great stuff and a lot of really slimey stuff. I can't really say that our legacy is head and shoulders above the competition.
Compare our ?slimy? stuff to that of Europe and get back to me.

You can trace the problems in the Middle East to European colonialism.
You can trace half the problems in Africa to European colonialism.

Find for me another country that has had a more positive influence on the world that the US.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: savoyboy
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: Ackmed
Feel free to leave whenever you want.

Hey, good thing the Founding Fathers didn't leave when they didn't like the system. I'm sure there were plenty of Nationalists who felt that they should just leave if they didn't like it. There's always room to improve. Were some of you coddled throughout life? You seem to have such a difficult time with criticism.

Leave where? I think our Founding Fathers and their ancestors left England for America for a reason.

Huh? Are you saying they left England for English colonies ruled by the English for a reason? They were detractors from the norm of English rule.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
drink more beer, everyone!

and i'm shocked to see south korea ranking #2 in IQ. i'm korean myself and i should thanks to my parents for a lot of shitload of books to read while growing up.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Juno

and i'm shocked to see south korea ranking #2 in IQ. i'm korean myself and i should thanks to my parents for a lot of shitload of books to read while growing up.

I'd like to thank your parents for immigrating and raising the average IQ here (I hope).

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Originally posted by: Juno

I'd like to thank your parents for immigrating and raising the average IQ here (I hope).

..a lot of shitload??

IanE

Jul 12, 2004
I'm gonna drop the bomb...

America has the worst beaches... even in Hawaii. How do you screw that up?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
All that matters:

1. I can drink when ever I damn well please.
2. I can talk sh*t about the president all I want.
3. I can walk around my own house without my under britches on.
4. I enjoy my job.
5. I'm happy.

All the other problems: Don't give a flyin sh!t. What can I do to not use as much gas? I have to drive 40 miles a day. Its too slow for a bus, I can't carpool. It's my only option, and NOT my problem automakers haven't done anything about this. Electricity consumption? Well... we're all on computers right now reading this forum, wanna save energy? Hit the power button and never turn it back on. Welcome to the digital age, don't like it? Go outside then and sit on your front porch for 60 years. It's not our fault, its the choices we are given. If there was clean, cheap source of power, we'd be using it. Our tax dollars should be putting this research into action. Not 200 million to contractors to build a hospital made from dirt in some country that I don't care about.

My personal life shouldn't be stereotyped into thinking that, since I am an American, I am automatically a fat, stupid, lazy, selfish, uneducated human being is just wrong. It's our government who's got this spending budget that's made this country go into a larger debt that I can remember. A war for a cause that still makes no damned sense. When this money could have been put towards things that matter. American's are good people, they're the most generous as well, as we've donated more to the poor and charity organizations than any other country on earth. Our priorities as a country have went in the wrong direction. I however, have little power other than voting to change the direction of this ideology. However... the people I vote for, still can't pass a damned bill to move this country forward. Because I agree now as many others do, our countrie's leader should be removed from power.. before he gets a chance to screw it up some more.

But for the opportunities I'm given. The freedom's (of whats left) that I process, I am greatful. I do think this is the greatest country in the world, but I do not brag about this. It's all a matter of your situation. If you grew up in North Korea, broke out when you were 30 and saw the world for the first time.. you could be calling Afghanistan, or Somalia the best country in the world. But many American's, sadly are arrogant.. and brag about "the best country", but don't know anything about any other countries.

No country is perfect. You can find the best "life expectancy" and the lowest power consumption country in the world.. but do they have Sunday Night Football? Computers? Freedom to talk about what ever they want, when ever they want? Having a beer with a group of friends, grilling out before watching the big game to American's is the same as people on the other side of the world who find the same joy in talking to their neighbor at the end of the day on how the day's events took place. Except with the power of television, it's broadcasted (what American's think) all over the world.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
america certainly has it's goods and bads, the worst being our fuckin political correctness IMO and the best being our relative freedom. I'm actually writing a paper on this. Perhaps I'll post it when I'm finished