AMD's Lead With DirectX 11 Is 'insignificant'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
The thing is very soon NVIDIA will have DX11 support, while ATI will still lack any real answer to CUDA, PhysX, 3D, etc.

OpenCL and DirectCompute are real answers to CUDA.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD comes out with their own version of 3d vision, it seems like a relatively simple thing to add. But at the moment, eyefiniti is their counter to 3d vision.

Physx...well there will eventually be other gpu accelerated physics engines. Physx hasn't gotten much of a presence yet.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The thing is very soon NVIDIA will have DX11 support, while ATI will still lack any real answer to CUDA, PhysX, 3D, etc.

I thought that there was a thread here around a month ago about ATI teaming up with some company, to implement OpenCL-based GPU-accelerated physics for gaming.

And ATI does have STREAM, and OpenCL, as an answer to CUDA.

As far as 3D, perhaps not, but does NV have an answer to Eyefinity?

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I thought that there was a thread here around a month ago about ATI teaming up with some company, to implement OpenCL-based GPU-accelerated physics for gaming.

And ATI does have STREAM, and OpenCL, as an answer to CUDA.

As far as 3D, perhaps not, but does NV have an answer to Eyefinity?

That's why I said "real" answer. They have a lot of press releases (even one using Havok), but have yet to deliver anything even close to the level of what NVIDIA has had (in some cases for over a year or more).

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
i hope Nvidia Fermi stock of new cards gets fucked up like AMD/ATI's did which is rather unlikely but...

Why would you hope this? As a consumer I hope NV, ATI, Intel and BitBoyz make enough product for every man & dog in the universe. Leading to lower unit costs, competition and lower end user prices. Don't know about you, but I prefer cheap & available to outrageously expensive and mythical.

The last thing I want to see again is supply issues driving prices from a MSRP at release to MSRP + 50% 3 months after release.

Nov 26, 2005
Why would you hope this? As a consumer I hope NV, ATI, Intel and BitBoyz make enough product for every man & dog in the universe. Leading to lower unit costs, competition and lower end user prices. Don't know about you, but I prefer cheap & available to outrageously expensive and mythical.

The last thing I want to see again is supply issues driving prices from a MSRP at release to MSRP + 50% 3 months after release.

I hear ya :)

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Yes, just going by the rosters of people who pm me here I'd say absolutely every company we talk about has active "representation" here in these forums.

But that's not what I said/meant in my post above.

Big difference between worker-bees perusing a forum versus mid and upper level decision makers taking in forum feedback as an input that modulates their decision tree to any appreciable extent.

And there are valued workers that work the forums with non stop viral messaging. Certainly wish they would stop, but I guess they need to feed their families.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
CUDA? will be overtaken by openCL. personally, the only thing that interests me in that area is accelerated video encoding and that is totally useless at the moment in that they all suck so much quality wise compared to a standard encode in MEGUI with x264.

the only time something decent will be out in that area (IMO at least) is when the community adds support to x264 and that will only be performance reasons that have no quality loss.

physx? honestly? who cares. it's still in a gimmicky stage at the moment. games still seem to be at the stage of adding physx effects in afterwards (makes sense otherwise they'd be cutting out a part of the gaming market with ATi cards).

3D. seriously? that would only be a software issue afaik. anyway, doesn't 3d require the game to be rendered twice or something? could any card handle crysis at a good res in 3d? although, i'd love to check out arkham asylum.

i'd imagine 3d gaming would come into play in a gen or 2 and the game devs i'd hope would write the games with that as an option. i just saw Avatar in 3D and that has me a bit more hopeful of the potential of immersion it can give. 3D and tri-screen would be awesome.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I dont buy the whole 3D thing either, not only the fact you have to wear glasses but the way it looks in general... It seems primitive, and Im not saying this because Nvidia is the one pushing it, its just... Its like an alpha version of a game, youd probably chose not to play and wait until the full version, thats how I feel about 3D, Ill wait until the real thing

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
tis how i felt with 3d movies or TV - till avatar. that 'feels' better to me. maybe a game made with 3d in mind will be the same. thing is, i think we'll need to be immersed in it which (to me anyways) means an eyefinity setup. no reason nvidia can't do it considering ATi got the idea from matrox anyway (just did it better).

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
this is getting better and better for NV. I think NV should just go ahead and claim they've won the DX11 battle, why do they even need an actual product now they're doing so well with words.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

Well, I can name at least two things most gamers don't care about. CUDA and PhysX haven't shown any real use to the average user/gamer. Badaboom maybe. Don't get me wrong, I like nVidia but they really need to work on getting something that's price competitive. How is it that AMD can produce cards approximately 50% cheaper with equal or better performance for two generations in a row?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
How is it that AMD can produce cards approximately 50% cheaper with equal or better performance for two generations in a row?

AMD decided to price them lower for RV770 to gain back some marketshare I think...probably not because it cost half as much to make. nV priced their GTX cards very high initially because they could since there wasn't any competition. Like ATI is doing now with the 5970 (which is a mix of supply/demand and performance affecting price).

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Yeah but its pretty obvious if you just look at die size and transistors that AMD cards are much cheaper to make... Its the logical thing to do after the failure that was the R600 anyway... Im surprised Nvidia can still afford to do monster gpus, or maybe Fermi is the sign that they also have to adopt AMDs strategy of smaller and more efficient gpus