AMD's FreeSync and VESA A-Sync discussion

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
The line mentioning Nvidia supporting ASYNC is fairly well translated by google translate. This would be my translation:

"While enthusiast are waiting to try AMDs freesync, Nvidia is planning on stealing the show, by doing the same* and implement support for Displayport Adaptive-Sync, despite the fact the technique is in practise competing with GSYNC"

*the swedish text says "doing the same", which is slightly confusing, since Nvidia is obviously not going to implement freesync, but I think they are referring to earlier in the text where they describe the functionality of freesync, and it is this functionality that Nvidia will "do the same".

Thanks. Sounds like they are going to offer the same functionality. That's the way AMD made it sound like it would work and that's good for us.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
Maybe having to commit resources to tune in every monitor is proving more trouble than it's worth for nVidia.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Maybe having to commit resources to tune in every monitor is proving more trouble than it's worth for nVidia.

Maybe. That along with it being a more expensive way of accomplishing the same thing, and why would anyone license something from nVidia they can have license free?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
However, it would appear that Nvidia has surprisingly agreed to giving Adaptive Sync and therefore FreeSync its full support. It has also hinted that G-Sync would be a superior alternative and appears to be quite confident in that statement.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-promises-support-freesync/

Interesting, the plot thickens. Maxwell only supposedly, which is weird because I distinctly remember seeing the DP support for the 970/980 saying 1.2 not 1.2a.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
I guess it being Maxwell2 only explains why Nvidia had to build their own monitors.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The comments to that article are pretty good.

They really aren't, just a bunch of bashing. Good comments IMO add something interesting to the article, those are the sort of thrash comments you see from idiots all over the internet all the time.