AMD Zen supports CMT and SMT

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
An interesting reveal by a AMD representative though it remains yet to be officially confirmed. Zen supports a CMT + SMT design.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/31/amd_opens_kimono_on_chip_futures_a_little_more/

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Hints-things-come-AMD

"Consumer and commercial business lead Junji Hayashi told the PC Cluster Consortium workshop in Osaka that the 2016 release CPU cores (an ARMv8 and an AMD64) will get simultaneous multithreading support, to sit alongside the clustered multithreading of the company's Bulldozer processor families."

So I am guessing each module now consists of 2 big integer cores (IPC on par with Intel big cores like Haswell but I am guessing they are aiming higher as Skylake is the real competition) . 4 ALU and 3/4 AGU. Each integer core supports SMT to better utilize the resources of that big integer core for multithreaded workloads. The integer cores themselves will be basically a wider and much more powerful version of the Jaguar core. Low latency instruction execution, high IPC and power efficient cores. The Zen module itself follows a CMT design with instruction fetch and L2 caches being shared. My guess is a 2 MB shared L2 cache per module. The L3 will be shared across all modules.

This 4 thread Zen module with 2 MB L2 cache should be quite small at 16FF+ or 14LPP. I am guessing roughly 20 sq mm (accounting for the significantly larger integer cores and the wider 256 bit FPU) given that Steamroller was 29.47 sq mm on 28nm.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6926864&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel7%2F4%2F4359912%2F06926864.pdf%3Farnumber%3D6926864

The question is does Zen use High density libraries like Carrizo. I doubt the server and high end desktop versions are using HDL and my guess is High performance libraries to enable 4 Ghz clock speeds. There might be a 2 module Zen APU (8 threads) for 15w which uses HDL for better efficiency at lower clocks. But for desktop and server I see Zen being used with high performance libraries.

When Jim Keller said they are looking to take the best of Jaguar and Bulldozer I think this was what he meant. CMT in itself is a good idea but Bulldozer was a flawed implementation. The Bulldozer integer core needed to be a wide and big machine with massive IPC. I am confident Keller has rectified that mistake. SMT is very useful when you have a big integer core. Zen looks to take the best of AMD's big and small core architectures and turn it into something very competitive.

I am thinking AMD will have more details at their Financial Analyst Day on May 6th 2015.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-analystday

For a Q2 or Q3 2016 Zen/K12 release AMD should be taping out the chips in Q2 2015. The next 12 - 15 months are going to be very interesting.

I expect a few people to come in to this thread and keep talking about AMD's shrinking R&D budget and their imminent demise and how AMD Zen has no chance to compete with Intel Skylake. But I am sure AMD will prove the doubters wrong. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
It's very interesting news since it implies that Zen will be rather wide OoO core (in order for SMT to make sense in combination with CMT). I suppose they took the best of Jaguar and Excavator and combined it into one wide high(ish) IPC, mid clocked core(3.5-4Ghz max) that still shares some parts like bulldozer design does (maybe instruction fetch, L2 cache?).

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The hype that will take no end.

Lets see:
Both CMT+SMT. (Doesnt even make sense.)
IPC on the level as Haswell or Skylake.
4Ghz clock.
15W for dualcore with 8 threads.

Dont blame AMD when it cant deliver to these extreme fantasies.

Last edited:

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
The guy from AMD never said any of those. He just said Zen will feature SMT alongside CMT (unless you think he lied or someone misunderstood him).

Apr 20, 2008
The hype that will take no end.

Lets see:
4Ghz clock.

It sounds like somebody is really bent out of shape over something they'd never even consider owning.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

Have you run simulations and acquired data that made you come to that conclusion ?? :rolleyes:

Even Steam Roller is not that far away than Haswell in ST (dont even bother throw any Cinebench slides).

4Ghz clock.

I dont see anyone mentioning 4GHz

Carrizo will be dual module 4 threads at 15W with 28nm, why 15W with a dual Module 8 threads will be impossible at 14nm FF ??

We just speculate here, nobody took those rumors as gospel.

pTmdfx

Feb 23, 2014
Frankly, if you already got SMT and do prioritise single thread performance, CMT makes less sense. At least the branch prediction logic, ICache and the L2 TLBs would no longer be shared (scales better on their own). The cache hierarchy is due for an overhaul, and I don't really expect L2 would continue to be shared (or write-back L1 + dual-banked L2, perhaps...). The only thing left is the FPU, and un-sharing it makes more sense IMO.

Two dual-threaded FPUs with simpler datapaths and more rooms to grow, v.s. one quad-threaded FPUs that attempts to be Mr Know It All. Eek.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Even Steam Roller is not that far away than Haswell in ST (dont even bother throw any Cinebench slides).

Aprils fools day was 2 days ago. Unless you use a very lose definition of "not that far away".

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
If the cores do end up wider then I think it could make the single module part fairly interesting.

2C/4T might actually be pretty decent for CPU (not fast, but decent). Unfortunately I fear AMD will disable most of the iGPU (like they have always done with the single module APUs) thus taking away much of the appeal it would have as a budget gamer part.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Did any of you clowns read the original Japanese article? It doesn't mention SMT or CMT at all...

Mar 10, 2006
You guys realize that the whole "AMD Zen has SMT" was first made up by WCCFTech (the guys at WCCFTech thought that if your chip doesn't support CMT, it must support SMT) and parroted across the internet until it became "common knowledge" right?

Atreidin

Mar 31, 2011
Whether or not AMD is doing it, there's no reason SMT and CMT can't be together. I'm interested in seeing how this works out. I don't expect an Intel-killer but it should be fun to see what AMD's engineers come up with.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
Whether or not AMD is doing it, there's no reason SMT and CMT can't be together. I'm interested in seeing how this works out. I don't expect an Intel-killer but it should be fun to see what AMD's engineers come up with.

There is a reason: CMT is a failed concept that nobody but AMD in the entire industry bothered to pursue.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
There is a reason: CMT is a failed concept that nobody but AMD in the entire industry bothered to pursue.

Actually if you ignored the name and AMD sold those chips as 2-3-4 cores with multy-thread support it wouldn't have looked so bad.
It gives much more performance than SMT in many situations, the problem is different: low single thread performance of the core it was based on, high clock speed design and related excessive power consumption (also exacerbated by the n-1 node it's was on most of the time vs the competitor...).

So yeah build a Haswell-like core and add CMT on top of it: I'm 100% sure there would greater benefits than drawbacks, or the entire CMT idea would have failed at the research stage. Of course you don't see Intel adding CMT to their core now either because they have a better idea or because they have opted for other, gradual changes, that don't get along with redesigning the core from scratch.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
I guess Sun/Oracle is nobody...
They are, and that's why they pulled the plug of their CMT design before it reached the market. They also kept another design on the pipeline in case something went wrong.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
You guys realize that the whole "AMD Zen has SMT" was first made up by WCCFTech (the guys at WCCFTech thought that if your chip doesn't support CMT, it must support SMT) and parroted across the internet until it became "common knowledge" right?

Indeed, and i have no doubt that you know quite a few about all things made up...

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
Of course you don't see Intel adding CMT to their core now either because they have a better idea or because they have opted for other, gradual changes, that don't get along with redesigning the core from scratch.

Or because they see the concept as a failure not worth bothering.

CMT is posed to become the SOI of the CPU designs, a technology shunned by all the market leaders but with an army of fanboys swearing it is better than everything else. SOI is the future, and it will always be. CMT is also the future.