AMD X399 !!!!!

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
Not all end-user workstations are Xeon or Opteron/EPYC.

If Dell offer threadripper in the Precision lineup, great!! If they don't, then there is a bit of a problem.

Find me a DELL Precision with an HEDT CPU then we can speack about Threadripper likeliness to be included in one.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
Ryzen Threadripper on Area-51 boosts to 3.8GHz

kKUUa.jpg

Nice find. Note that the CPU is a qualification sample based on the code (ZD), looks like the same that VideoCardz reported on friday, which was supposed to be 3,4GHz base and 3,7 GHz turbo (so 3,8 with XFR): AMD ZD1840A8UGAF4.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
This has got to be the best kept price secret I've seen in a very long time for mainstream components. Not a single manufacturer has announced a price tag for ANY of the upcoming Threadripper components, you can barely find a rumor and those are scarce as well.

And to compliment that, I do admit that for once I am extremely hyped by the AMD marketing campaign. I almost feel like Intel and Nvidia have become complacent in their leading positions. Granted, products speak for themselves but still...

Find me a DELL Precision with an HEDT CPU then we can speack about Threadripper likeliness to be included in one.

Well, let's take a step back and look at the product range: I think it found an absolute sweetspot for creative professionals that love to game, people that want a lot of horsepower at hand but want to be able to treat it like a normal gaming build - i.e. also the people that might actually afford to buy this beast and use it to it's best potential either in work or games, or both if you're of the lucky ones :D

It's not server components because it doesn't seem to have the right firmware that would make it best suited for servers, while not confirmed it is being branded as a top-end gaming niche, and it's not just your daily gamer rig because it's just embarrasingly over-powered. I love it for that fact, for instance it's exactly what I need, I do 3D work on a daily basis and having this power at hand means being productive, while not being ripped off into buying xeons for thrice the price, and I admit I love gaming a lot so there you go, marriage of interests :)

EDIT: The reazon I refered to the TR range to be a sweetspot is assuming the price will not be in line with Intel's and therefore a bit more accessible... which would be a shot in the foot if otherwise, no one would choose AMD to Intel in the proffesional industry if the price was the same, given the track record.

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Companies looking for workstations look for the Precision lineup from DELL, not AREA 51 :>
The one area I would say is the Software and game startups always seem to go straight for Big box gaming systems as dev machines.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016

Exactly my point.

If the only way to purchase a prebuilt threadripper is in a crazy case like that...

[Does the Dell deal exclude all other chassis builders from offering threadripper?]

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
There are other chassis builders than OEMs. The industry usually calls them "boutique PC system builders". They are in the hundreds.

X499-24c

Jun 14, 2017
The reason AMD kept the same package size and pin count for Threadripper and EPYC isn't just for economics of scale sake, but also for the sake of flexibility to counter Intel's responses. And so they will. For the past couple of years AMD has been doing their best to keep their ability to respond open, so quick and rushed maneuvering from Intel, as witnessed with the announcement of the 18 core HEDT option before Intel is even sure what kind of specifications it will have, will not be able to catch AMD off guard and without the ability to retaliate.

AMD has setup the core wars to be in their favor for the next couple of years. This is information for 2000 series Threadripper coming next year to X399 and X490/X499.

The extra package space available to Threadripper will be utilized next year to create a Tri-Pinnacle Ridge MCM for the platform. They will come in 12 core, 18 core, and 24 core flavors. While they will slot into existing motherboards with a BIOS update, only the extra cores will be of benefit. For the extra I/O afforded by another Pinnacle die (6 channel and 96 PCI-E lanes), motherboards would need to be new. They have the available pins, but they're not setup for it. One of the dies can also be disabled for a 16 core option.

All of the above I confirmed from my sources to be happening. From here on out, this information is still under debate inside AMD for the best course of action, or depends on hitting certain performance targets.

Platform: There is the debate of whether it's worth to create another HEDT platform even higher than X399. In such a case, there would be quad channel 64 lane X490 (X399 refresh), and hexa channel 96 lane X499. These X499 motherboards would be incredibly expensive, but would allow AMD to increase dominance over Intel in the HEDT space in every way, not just core count.

There is also the question of higher TDP headroom, as three Pinnacle Ridge dies would need more headroom than the current X399 is rated for to hit the intended clock ranges.

Performance: Pinnacle Ridge will be higher clocking and more efficient die at the higher end of the clock spectrum, though it will remain about the same efficiency wise in the 3GHz range. Slightly larger, but still under 200mm^2. For this reason, the 18 core variant should clock higher than 16 core Threadripper while staying within X399's TDP limits. I am told to expect 4.4GHz XFR or thereabouts for the most expensive 18 core SKU, with base clocks in the range of 3.8GHz to 4GHz.

For the 24 core SKU, X399's TDP limits will not suffice to run at the higher end of the clocking spectrum. There is the debate of whether to make it exclusive to X499, and potentially X490 if TDP limits are raised to accomodate, or allow it to run on X399/X490 with a reduced clock profile when on these machines (Which can be overriden with overclocking).

Pricing: AMD hopes to remain aggressive in pricing should market conditions allow them. Current targets are 1200$ for the top 18 core, and about 1800$ for 24 cores. These prices are subject to change as the products are far enough away for Intel to have a chance to re-organize their pricing by launch.

Timing: Should all go well, AMD is looking at around early Q2 2018 for 18/12 core on X399, and late Q3 2018 for 24 core Threadripper 2000 parts, with a showing at Computex of X490/X499 and the lineup.

Last edited:

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
@X499-24c
I don't know where you get your stuff but welcome to the forum.

I'd be curious to know how you got those price estimates because if they revolve around that, Intel is in for a fight on this high-end segment. In spec equivalency, although I love AMD, intel seems to win, but price-matched, absolutely no way Intel gets a piece :)

https://lanoc.org/review/cpus/7487-amd-ryzen-5-cpus?showall=&limitstart=
https://lanoc.org/review/cpus/7487-amd-ryzen-5-cpus?showall=&limitstart=
Granted, this is for R5 but the benches include higher-end as well.