AMD X399 !!!!!

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
If there is a CPU error, then that die may be scrap

Depends and I think you already know this. If the error isn't in a critical part of CPU part, they will bin it to a lower tier by disabling 1 or 2 cores or L3 cache.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Depends and I think you already know this. If the error isn't in a critical part of CPU part, they will bin it to a lower tier by disabling 1 or 2 cores or L3 cache.

One would assume, but since this product isn't even announced yet, I didn't want to presume.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Whether its 999 or rumored 850, i have to wonder whether Intel decides to lower those prices they announced, if true.

That will depend on chip volume. If AMD can only produce or sell enough to disrupt 5-10% of the market, then Intel basically wins through volume alone. They can charge what they want once AMD's inventory is clear out of the market.

If AMD shows up with enough fab capacity to sell to a larger share of the market, then there is trouble for Intel.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Intel always sold at $999 for the top HEDT, the $1700 and now $2000 tiers are a recent addition that needs to go away, so i hope for $999 max on TR.

Reactions: lightmanek

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
That will depend on chip volume. If AMD can only produce or sell enough to disrupt 5-10% of the market, then Intel basically wins through volume alone. They can charge what they want once AMD's inventory is clear out of the market.

If AMD shows up with enough fab capacity to sell to a larger share of the market, then there is trouble for Intel.

It more complicated than that turning over the whole supply chain, rebuilding the brand with more advertising, winning more customers (seems like OEM are starting to put some Ryzen systems), etc. AMD was in a really bad place and they (and GloFo) need excellent execution to really eat into Intel's marketshare. I'm hopefully for their prospects, but it wasn't an overnight fall and it won't be an overnight success for AMD.

Reactions: CatMerc

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is that not what the revised Wafer Supply Agreement is all about?

Yes, but AMD isn't just magically going to grow that kind of fab access at Samsung or TSMC overnight. Remember that they make stuff for other people. They would have to crank out a ton of Ryzen wafers for AMD to catch up to Intel's chip volume. I'm not sure AMD could get that from other fabs so easily. GF certainly couldn't do it on their own.

It more complicated than that turning over the whole supply chain, rebuilding the brand with more advertising, winning more customers (seems like OEM are starting to put some Ryzen systems), etc. AMD was in a really bad place and they (and GloFo) need excellent execution to really eat into Intel's marketshare. I'm hopefully for their prospects, but it wasn't an overnight fall and it won't be an overnight success for AMD.

I'm merely speaking of circumstances in which there would be pent-up demand for AMD's chips that outstrips their supply. Outside of distribution, AMD wouldn't need any advertising or rebranding to cope with present demand. Creating that demand, on the other hand . . . yeah AMD isn't there yet.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Yes, but AMD isn't just magically going to grow that kind of fab access at Samsung or TSMC overnight.
Of course it's not going to happen "magically" and I'd say AMD is currently doing well slowly building the necessary platforms and ecosystems. As mentioned before Lisa Su already said in the Q&A section of the 2017 Financial Analyst Day that for the 7nm node they are working with both GloFo and TSMC.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Of course it's not going to happen "magically" and I'd say AMD is currently doing well slowly building the necessary platforms and ecosystems. As mentioned before Lisa Su already said in the Q&A section of the 2017 Financial Analyst Day that for the 7nm node they are working with both GloFo and TSMC.

That's good news. Getting at least their top two tiers of gaming cards on TSMC should help AMD RTG gain a better footing vis-a-vis Nvidia (even if it is a 18 months out).

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
https://videocardz.com/70234/dell-announces-alienware-area-51-threadripper-edition

Dell announces Alienware Area-51 Threadripper Edition

“Through 2017, Dell will be the exclusive OEM partner to deliver AMD Ryzen Threadripper pre-built systems to the market and the high-end 16-core will be factory-overclocked across all 16-cores and 32 logical threads. The Area-51 Threadripper Edition is ideal for customers who explore the world of mega-tasking, doing many system demanding tasks at the same time, and are looking for a complete, reliable solution from a trusted brand.”

Area-51-Open-1000x750.jpg

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Factory overclock from a big oem on a 16c cpu is a testament to the efficient cooling solution and the soldering. Its probably a big no go on the new Intel hedt cpu.
The tr huge package is major advantage then for heat.
This is a consequence i didnt really expect.
This product will sell well.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Not really IMO.

Most companies buying these as workstations will not look beyond that case.
Either AMD or the OEMs so far appear to think gaming enthusiasts are more likely to jump ship to a new AMD platform than corporate users. Maybe that will change once Epyc is launched.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Companies looking for workstations look for the Precision lineup from DELL, not AREA 51 :>

Not all end-user workstations are Xeon or Opteron/EPYC.

If Dell offer threadripper in the Precision lineup, great!! If they don't, then there is a bit of a problem.

Reactions: mattiasnyc