AMD X399 !!!!!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Y'know what'd be interesting if they released a 2 socket platform (workstation or ultra-HEDT)...

If you could put CPUs of different core counts and clock speeds in the two sockets.

I can only speak for engineering, but you often work with 2 types of code:

- poorly threaded that needs high IPC and clock speed.
- well threaded that needs cores.

Having say, an 8C chip @ 4.0 Ghz in one socket, and a 16C chip @ 3.0 GHz in the other socket could be really advantageous.

You do most of your interactive work on the first CPU, then when you run your simulations which eat threads, either (1) the faster CPU downclocks to match the slower but more parallel one or (2) you can bias up the work to put more load per thread on the faster CPU (it'd be like biasing on the cuthill-mckee method in fluent).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Damn, again, when will I learn. If it looks to good to be true - then it probably is.
I'm would think AMD has something like this cooking , but we will just have to wait a bit longer to get better evidence.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Anyone wonders if AMD will bump up DF clocks to run 1:1 with memory clock on this platform? They have plenty of TDP to work with on this new socket. It would help tremendously since all inter-chip communication is going thru it and now there will be 2x more CCXs and half of them would need to snoop L3 slices of another chip in the package. It would help a lot in games, especially older ones. I wonder if SMU can be "hacked" to allow for 1:1 DF mode on current Ryzen chips and what would this mean for power consumption?

Reactions: Drazick

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
The problem with bumping up Infinity fabric to run at memory speeds is AMD are also improving memory support for higher speeds like DDR4 3200. So trying to keep power from escalating might be difficult. I think the highest priority for AMD is to improve memory compatibility and support for high speed DDR4. AMD's support for high speed memory is still poor with only few brands and SKUs working.

In the remote chance that AMD are able to get Infinity fabric to run at memory speeds it would definitely go a long way in improving performance in games and other kinds of workloads which share a lot of data between threads. I don't know how much of this rumour could be true. But it would be great if we see a new revision for current Ryzen CPUs with higher fabric speeds.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...ating_a_consumer-oriented_16-core_ryzen_cpu/1

Rngwn

Dec 17, 2015
Anyone wonders if AMD will bump up DF clocks to run 1:1 with memory clock on this platform? They have plenty of TDP to work with on this new socket. It would help tremendously since all inter-chip communication is going thru it and now there will be 2x more CCXs and half of them would need to snoop L3 slices of another chip in the package. It would help a lot in games, especially older ones. I wonder if SMU can be "hacked" to allow for 1:1 DF mode on current Ryzen chips and what would this mean for power consumption?

I did said in the other thread that the Ryzen's DF is already running 1:1 with the memory clock. The "2666 MHz" DDR4 speed is rather 2666 MT/s with 1333 MHz due to its "double data rate" nature. To make it "1:1" as you described would actually mean 2:1, unless AMD can somehow make DF being DDR-like.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Donanimhaber (Turkish tech channel) is at it again... more rumors about HEDT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHt9AfGa9w
  • Zen HEDT CPU's are supposedly called "Threadripper"
  • Each CPU will include 64 PCIe Lanes
  • 4 CCX design
  • Lower SKU (Probably 12c/24t) 140W TDP, Higher SKU (Probably 16c/32t) 180W TDP.
  • Socket will be SP3 LGA
  • Platform's name will probably be X399
  • Chips will be B2 revisions.
  • 32MB L3 Cache
  • ES's are 3,3 or 3,4 Ghz base and 3,7 Ghz Boost
  • It is aimed for Retail SKU to have 3,6 Base/4 Ghz Boost (!!!)
  • ES's that are in the wild have 2500 CB R15.
  • Infinity Fabric can have a bandwidth up to 100GB/S
  • Announcement; COMPUTEX at Taiwan, sales will start after 2-3 weeks following COMPUTEX. (so... late June 2017)
If this turns out to be true, it looks like I need to start planning a HEDT build for late summer...

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I expected a threadripper from amd, but 8 channels is what threw me off.

PREPARE FOR AMD'S THRRRRRRRREAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDRRRRRRRRRRIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR TM 32 CORES OF PURE THREAD DECIMATING GLORY! Don't buy one for your girlfriend, or she'll end up pregnant. AMD's THREADRIPPER TM is a monster truck of computing. Watch it run over UP TO 32 THREADS while you buy a $9 beer. THREADRIPPER.

*AMD ThreadRipper may only be used by end-users wearing Affliction or Tap-out T-shirts

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
PREPARE FOR AMD'S THRRRRRRRREAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDRRRRRRRRRRIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR TM 32 CORES OF PURE THREAD DECIMATING GLORY! Don't buy one for your girlfriend, or she'll end up pregnant. AMD's THREADRIPPER TM is a monster truck of computing. Watch it run over UP TO 32 THREADS while you buy a $9 beer. THREADRIPPER.

*AMD ThreadRipper may only be used by end-users wearing Affliction or Tap-out T-shirts
Ha i stuck with the threadripper ever since those trademarks were leaked last year, i predicted this exact same setup, naples derivative for around 1000$, awesome name.
Threadripper has risen, lets the HEDT wars begin.

Reactions: Headfoot

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Thats due to Bulldozer being garbage.

There was an easy optimization due to using what they called "soft flip-flops" which are easier to implement but use more power.

And Bulldozer could already clock at 5Ghz under water, it just used excessive power to do so. Zen hits a wall at 4.1Ghz.
None of that contradicts what i said, Why does Zen hit a wall @ 4.1. its it process, process will improve, is it limited by some particular circuits or function blocks, those can be improved. look at BD to PD its not single core boost that improved massively but all core Base. I dont see any reason this cant happen again.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Is the expectation with R9/Zen HEDT that it will offer a tremendous number of cores alongside much greater bandwidth while be limited to similar clocks as R7? I think what I'm getting at is that it still won't beat a 7700K in gaming. People are going to lose their minds (again).

Is it too late to say MORE COARS?
It's never too late!

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Is the expectation with R9/Zen HEDT that it will offer a tremendous number of cores alongside much greater bandwidth while be limited to similar clocks as R7? I think what I'm getting at is that it still won't beat a 7700K in gaming. People are going to lose their minds (again).

:D:D:D

Yep.

Just to tease the expectations of the idiots...
1. if AMD and the mobo manufacturers manage to get the memory platform running 3600+ DDR4
2. B2 stepping increases headroom by 100-200 MHz
3. the game manufacturers have their patches released
in time for R9 release/review, then the gap may close (significantly).

Bassman2003

Sep 14, 2009
Well Intel's own HEDT chips do not beat the 7700k in gaming. Maybe with the per core overclocking you could run one up to close the gap. The tough thing is the choice between the 7700k, Ryzen 1700/1800 or these larger core count chips. It really depends upon your workflow and how much you need single or massive multithread.

I will be interested in the comparison of the 8 core 1800x vs the 12 & 16 core chips. Where are the gains going to come and how much will they be? The 1800x with 8 cores is no slouch in multithreaded tasks. Given the clock speed of the 12 & 16 core chips will be lower, is it sort of a wash for many applications? AMD would be wise to have some per core or two core overclock ability to offer raw speed or these chips. Being stuck in the low 4s of Ghz is treading water no matter how many cores you throw in as desktop users only need so many before the cores become redundant.

My perfect scenario would be the 12 core chip with 2 cores blazing up close to the 5Ghz level while the rest of the chip was in the low to middle 4's. If they could do this setup I would happily pay $1,000 for the chip. If the whole chip runs at 4.1Ghz (overclocked) I just do not see that as much of an upgrade over the 1800x. So price will be an issue.

It will be very interesting to see what this does to Intel and its offerings. It is clear that Intel's performance rut made them very predictable and allowed AMD to know where they would be exactly at this point in time. AMD led the target starting a few years ago and will have a very competitive line at lower prices this summer. Hats off to AMD for great business strategy and I hope they can execute well.

OrangeKhrush

Feb 11, 2017
Donanimhaber (Turkish tech channel) is at it again... more rumors about HEDT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHt9AfGa9w
  • Zen HEDT CPU's are supposedly called "Threadripper"
  • Each CPU will include 64 PCIe Lanes
  • 4 CCX design
  • Lower SKU (Probably 12c/24t) 140W TDP, Higher SKU (Probably 16c/32t) 180W TDP.
  • Socket will be SP3 LGA
  • Platform's name will probably be X399
  • Chips will be B2 revisions.
  • 32MB L3 Cache
  • ES's are 3,3 or 3,4 Ghz base and 3,7 Ghz Boost
  • It is aimed for Retail SKU to have 3,6 Base/4 Ghz Boost (!!!)
  • ES's that are in the wild have 2500 CB R15.
  • Infinity Fabric can have a bandwidth up to 100GB/S
  • Announcement; COMPUTEX at Taiwan, sales will start after 2-3 weeks following COMPUTEX. (so... late June 2017)
If this turns out to be true, it looks like I need to start planning a HEDT build for late summer...

40 lanes from what I am hearing and the 2500CB score is very low, that is the 12 core likely score.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
40 lanes from what I am hearing and the 2500CB score is very low, that is the 12 core likely score.

Seems plausible. It wouldn't be surprising if that's at 3.4-3.6GHz clock with 12c/24t, or lower speed on a 16c/32t ES.