AMD X399 !!!!!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
Over 4.5 means 4.6, and I haven't seen or heard of any Broadwell chip reliably going over 4.4 and really high voltages.

http://www.realhardwarereviews.com/intel-i7-6950x/3/

I agree, I wouldn't want to run it there long-term either (1.55V!).
[and my bad for missing that ;(]

I think a 16 core will be interesting for sure. If we get 3.1 base and an OC to 3.6, I might get one, but it depends on how well the software I run will use all of those cores. I'm already seeing some issues with the 8-core (encoding at only 80%, decoding under some circumstances using only 4 threads). I assume those will be addressed, but....

Now, if we see Skylake-X chips clocking to a steady 4.6, then that would be something alright.

I would think that Kaby would be the better clocker, but we're not in line to see >4 core KabyX yet iirc.

Last edited:

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Notice the AM44 socket doesn't have a square cutout, it's probably the same size as AM4 socket but with extra pins for other DDR 4 channels and various things like power planes possibly.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Notice the AM44 socket doesn't have a square cutout, it's probably the same size as AM4 socket but with extra pins for other DDR 4 channels and various things like power planes possibly.
Interesting observation, although I'm not sure if you could make that conclusion from the image. If what you say is true, I wonder if the AM44 socket is backwards compatible with AM4 dies...

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I edited it an hour ago to fix it, no idea why you are seeing the old version.

Dunno, I hit refresh. Makes much more sense now! Thanks!

So, if this leak is valid X399 is really a 2P Workstation/Sever platform and X390 is HEDT. X399 must be using buffered DIMMS with 4 sticks per channel.

Very interesting stuff.

Last edited:

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
Dunno, I hit refresh. Makes much more sense now! Thanks!

So, if this leak is valid X399 is really a 2P Workstation/Sever platform and X390 is HEDT. X399 must be using buffered DIMMS with 4 sticks per channel.

Very interesting stuff.

I would say that image (real or not) indicates that X399 is 2x32 cores.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I would say that image (real or not) indicates that X399 is 2x32 cores.

Yes, as Hans speculated. I am confused by the labels on the DIMMs, not sure what is meant. But there should be 8 channels and 16 DIMM support w/o buffers.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
99% of workstation users aren't going to be overclocking. The stock ACT is going to be what really sells this platform to consumers. My estimate is they want it to clock as closely to the 1800x as possible at about ~200-225W max, 200 would be ideal.

Yessir! If AMD can pull something like this off and motherboard makers put out quality boards not all buggy and gimped to hell and support ECC then I'm all in. It will be my next box.

What is the ETA of such a CPU and related platform?

OrangeKhrush

Feb 11, 2017
So the information turned out to be quite accurate....what a shocker, It was like when I leaked Ryzen 7 performance a few days before launch. I guess the right source and not Canard PC makes all the difference.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
If someone told me we'd actually be seeing innovation in the CPU market in 2017 around this point last year, I would've laughed my ass off.

What a comeback, AMD!

Reactions: Drazick

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Is X399 another trolling towards Intel from AMD? I mean the X-brand is Intels Highend naming scheme since years and Intel is going to ship X299 soon, so AMD has ensured that they are using the same naming scheme but with a higher first digit, so that it looks newer and higher and better for the uninformed customer?

Reactions: Sweepr

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Is X399 another trolling towards Intel from AMD? I mean the X-brand is Intels Highend naming scheme since years and Intel is going to ship X299 soon, so AMD has ensured that they are using the same naming scheme but with a higher first digit, so that it looks newer and higher and better for the uninformed customer?
I would think that anyone actually interested in either of those would be informed. You won't find either of those platforms at your local Walmart or Best Buy.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I would think that anyone actually interested in either of those would be informed. You won't find either of those platforms at your local Walmart or Best Buy.

So why didn't AMD use a new unique scheme and why was it necessary to copy Intels scheme? Intels scheme is known and in the minds of many people, I think it's a clear trolling to make use of Intels known scheme. This is something AMD likes to do in the last years but this time it really is a direct copy of Intels but with a higher first digit to ensure it looks higher and better on paper.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
So why didn't AMD use a new unique scheme and why was it necessary to copy Intels scheme? Intels scheme is known and in the minds of many people, I think it's a clear trolling to make use of Intels known scheme. This is something AMD likes to do in the last years but this time it really is a direct copy of Intels but with a higher first digit to ensure it looks higher and better on paper.
This product has not launched yet, how do you know what its branding will be?

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3155...hitecture-is-expected-to-last-four-years.html

There is no tick/tock/optimize/ optimize in the quote. AMD almost kept 1 year between each BD mirco uarch upgrade with all the roadmap and target changes ,

BD 10-2011
PD 10-2012
SR 06-2014
CR 06-2015

why does it now change for Zen?
Remember BD to PD saw a ~400mhz clock bump on top of the 5-7% IPC bump :)
Thats due to Bulldozer being garbage.

There was an easy optimization due to using what they called "soft flip-flops" which are easier to implement but use more power.

And Bulldozer could already clock at 5Ghz under water, it just used excessive power to do so. Zen hits a wall at 4.1Ghz.

flash-gordon

May 3, 2014
What I see is that the Infinity Fabric development gave AMD abilities to deliver this kind of MCM CPUs/APUs faster and easier. They said sometime ago that it reduced the development time of on-chip network from 6 months to hours.

Can't wait to see what IF brings to Vega.

It also seems that Intel right now is years behind then in this aspect.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
You are saying X399 is a fake?
I didn't say that, read what was written. The product has not launched yet. And to be honest, feature wise, the name is well fitting the capabilities. More PCI-E lanes, more cores. I don't know what the product name will be in the end, but whatever it is, it won't matter. AMD might call it whatever they want, what matters is that it will be a killer platform.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I didn't say that, read what was written. The product has not launched yet. And to be honest, feature wise, the name is well fitting the capabilities. More PCI-E lanes, more cores. I don't know what the product name will be in the end, but whatever it is, it won't matter. AMD might call it whatever they want, what matters is that it will be a killer platform.

AMD disagrees with you, it obviously wasn't unimportant for them.

Rngwn

Dec 17, 2015
This has been around on Reddit for a while. The schematics is allegedly from ASUS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/618blp/x399_and_x390_leak/

Turns out those circuitry on the reddit earlier apparently a fake, debunked by a chinese site.

The reddit post linking to the chinese site: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/61fc4c/x390_and_x399_leaks_are_fake/
The original chinese site: http://www.mykancolle.com/?post=1521

Summary:

1. The AMD leak is showing the wrong sockets

2. It's basically just modify the Intel board to look like AMD leaks

3. the Intel X299 leaks from the same Chinese guy is also fake, based on last gen server board
What we do know:

1. X390/X399 exists with Socket SP3/SP4

2. It will come with 2MCM 16 cores/4MCM 32 cores for X390/X399

Reactions: T1beriu