AMD X399 !!!!!

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Seems legit as it isn't technically possible to have 10C or 14C configurations with Zen.
Why I thought AMD had working samples of 3+1 4c configurations? They just preferred the symetrical designs and that CCX mirroring was more important per die. So 2+2 on one and 3+3 one the other or 4+4 and 3+3.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Can an APU land on this socket? Not that it would make much sense...

An APU would make an awful lot of sense - for number crunching where you need frequent access to the system memory pool.

PCIe3x16 has a bandwidth of ~15.5 GB/s.

The existing R7 have a bandwidth around twice that. Double up those memory channels and you will double that.

Niche market... maybe. But AMD thought it was worthwhile to tack an SSD onto a GPU for number crunching to avoid going through the PCIe slot...

Reactions: Drazick

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Seems legit as it isn't technically possible to have 10C or 14C configurations with Zen.

Why would it not be possible to have 10C and 14C with 2 8C dies in MCM.

10C = (3+3) + (2+2)
12C = (3+3) + (3+3)
14C = (4+4) + (3+3)
16C = (4+4) + (4+4)

I think its definitely possible to have 10C and 14C along with 12C and 16C. The flexibility with AMD's MCM approach is really very good.

ryzenmaster

Mar 19, 2017
Speaking as a software guy, I'm fairly confident there will be no asymmetric CCX configurations. Even if it were technically feasible(which I'm not at all convinced that it is), it would make very little sense given how difficult it would make any optimization for the platform. Even if you optimize for the CCX design, your code would run inconsistently as there would be no way of knowing whether the CCX you land on has full compute capacity and cache available to it. Load balancing and scheduling becomes a mess. What we will almost certainly see is 8, 12 and 16C chips.

In other words: 99.99% sure there will be no asymmetric Zen chips

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Speaking as a software guy, I'm fairly confident there will be no asymmetric CCX configurations. Even if it were technically feasible(which I'm not at all convinced that it is), it would make very little sense given how difficult it would make any optimization for the platform. Even if you optimize for the CCX design, your code would run inconsistently as there would be no way of knowing whether the CCX you land on has full compute capacity and cache available to it. Load balancing and scheduling becomes a mess. What we will almost certainly see is 8, 12 and 16C chips.

In other words: 99.99% sure there will be no asymmetric Zen chips

10C and 14C are not asymmetric if the CCXs are configured as 10C = (3+3) + (2+2) and 14C = (3+3) + (4+4) . Within each Zen die the CCXs are symmetric. There is no requirement for symmetricity across Zen dies.

Last edited:

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
I am curious about one thing. The R9 SKUs are supposed to be in 4CCX configuration (with 4 cores in each) and the disabling of the cores should be uniform across all CCX's they amalgamated together. Now, that means the existence of 10 and 14 cores do not possible unless AMD is actually using two 8-core CCX, or simply not equally disabling the core in each of the four 4-core CCXs.

That's why I'm pretty sure that product stack is fake. Not the mention the exaggerated number of SKUs and stupid naming scheme.
10C and 14C are not asymmetric if the CCXs are configured as 10C = (3+3) + (2+2) and 14C = (3+3) + (3+3) . Within each Zen die the CCXs are symmetric. There is no requirement for symmetricity across Zen dies.

How is that symmetrical?!

LE: (3+3) + (3+3) it's not 14. :p I think you meant (4+4) + (3+3), that's, in my book, 100% asymetrical.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
10C and 14C are not asymmetric if the CCXs are configured as 10C = (3+3) + (2+2) and 14C = (3+3) + (3+3) . Within each Zen die the CCXs are symmetric. There is no requirement for symmetricity across Zen dies.

Technical possibility aside, what you are suggesting would require yields to be utterly atrocious. Which shouldn't be the case with a mature 14nm process and the small die size of Ryzen 7. That's the whole point of the CCX/Infinity Fabric arrangement - slap two (or more) smaller dies together (instead of a single big one) for better yields AND solid performance.

Reactions: T1beriu

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The OS scheduler has to know beforehand about thread allocation across asymmetrical dies. We have already seen what Microsoft thinks of the 'issues' surrounding its scheduler.

It's less likely that such a thing would happen, that's why AMD differentiates its SKUs on frequency bins, not core counts.

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Why would it not be possible to have 10C and 14C with 2 8C dies in MCM.

10C = (3+3) + (2+2)
12C = (3+3) + (3+3)
14C = (4+4) + (3+3)
16C = (4+4) + (4+4)

I think its definitely possible to have 10C and 14C along with 12C and 16C. The flexibility with AMD's MCM approach is really very good.

Because all CCXs, dies and nodes must have same number of cores enabled.
If a MCM packaged part would have 6C/12T and 8C/16T capable dies installed, the PSP would automatically software downcore the 8C/16T die to match the 6C/12T die configuration.
The same applies for multiple node systems (i.e. different CPU SKU in 2P).

Feb 27, 2014
If a MCM packaged part would have 6C/12T and 8C/16T capable dies installed, the PSP would automatically software downcore the 8C/16T die to match the 6C/12T die configuration.

So, the only way this rumor could be true would be with 8 cores per CCX.

10C = 5+5
12C = 6+6
14C = 7+7
16C = 8+8

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
And again, you cannot have 5 or 7 core configs with Zeppelin.
Both CCXs must have the same number of cores enabled, or the other CCXs must be completely disabled.
Correct me if I am mistaken, but only the 2 CCXs on the same die need to have the same number of enabled cores, right? For a 2-die SKU, you can have a skewed configuration of active cores between the two dies, i.e. for a 10C part, it can be 2/2 + 3/3?

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like all I needed to do was scroll up a bit more. :)

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Since I must have missed something, why does the Platform Security Processor handle this?

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Since I must have missed something, why does the Platform Security Processor handle this?

Due to security.
In Zeppelin you cannot change any hardware settings without the PSP approving the changes.
Even things like memory training is being taken care of by the PSP and that occurs before any of the standard bios code has loaded.
The SMU handles runtime operations.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
People keep saying the asymmetrical configuration can't happen. But AMD had working samples of a 3+1 configuration. It's not that I don't believe people, hell I questioned the existence of this platform in general in the first few pages of this thread.

But people seem to pretty sure of themselves of this no Assymetrical business but again reports where that AMD was testing several different configurations for R5 specially the 4 core versions and had 4+0, 2+2, and 3+1 samples testing in the wild.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
People keep saying the asymmetrical configuration can't happen. But AMD had working samples of a 3+1 configuration.

reports where that AMD was testing several different configurations for R5 specially the 4 core versions and had 4+0, 2+2, and 3+1 samples testing in the wild.

Its not impossible to have both.

ES with asymmetric configs - but AMD realised based on the feedback from software houses that it wouldn't work. So canned it from all release plans.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Its not impossible to have both.

ES with asymmetric configs - but AMD realised based on the feedback from software houses that it wouldn't work. So canned it from all release plans.
Did they can it from all release plans or just the low cost consumer AM4 platform? I ask because they could have figured that with Numa and more workstation or server oriented tasks that configuration made less of a difference?

I only asked originally because people were making it sound like the PSP was completely restricted to not allow this setup, where we know AMD has had it working before. I think AMD really wanted to save chips that had wierd core issue combinations. But it was too much of a penalty on games and other non linear work. Maybe they kept it going in the workstation and server realm because the penalty if any is much smaller?

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
I ask because they could have figured that with Numa and more workstation or server oriented tasks that configuration made less of a difference?
Simple straight-forward question: how many servers do you know that use multi-CPU configs with different CPUs.

Point made.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
https://twitter.com/WikiChip/status/863874789622022145
C_0YVQGWAAAbhaX.jpg

If these are true and hopefully they wont charge you $$$ like intel does, this just might be my next work station.

However The naming scheme could be abit better.. would have thought something like:

Ryzen 9 1980X, 1970X, 1960X, 1950X sound better than 1998.. almost as bad as Titan Xp.