AMD Ryzen (Summit Ridge) Benchmarks Thread (use new thread)

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Yeah I would love to know what it's going to be like, but I understand why we won't know until it's out.

I still have a fond memory of reading the 5870 review on Anandtech, being blown away and ordering it as soon as I was done reading it as it showed up on NewEgg. Probably the best PC component I ever bought.

Reactions: psolord

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Yeah I would love to know what it's going to be like, but I understand why we won't know until it's out.

I still have a fond memory of reading the 5870 review on Anandtech, being blown away and ordering it as soon as I was done reading it as it showed up on NewEgg. Probably the best PC component I ever bought.

Absolutely, I cannot wait for official samples to get sent out and reading all the reviews, hopefully for the better. And if things are as expected, I can't wait to try them out myself :D

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
I coded ASM in MS debug back in the early 90s before I learned C.
Me too... But also Z80 (microcontroller with led numeric displays, at school), 68000 (PC emulator, not an actual computer, but a virtual microcontroller with mapped I/O, at school) and 6502/10 on Vic 20, commodore 64 and plus 4... Obviously without an assembler...Very challenging... Without debugger...

KTE

May 26, 2016
Not giving the competition more room than necessary to counter move. Would be my guess.
AMD fans kept saying this at Barcelona and Bulldozer times. So did I.

Many others said its due to the products incompetence.

They were right and we were completely wrong.

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)

Reactions: cytg111

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)
But in that same history you had things that could be pointed to from the very first presentations to backup that bad design. This time when push comes to shove the nay sayers haven't delivered anything of note that can be discussed and considered.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
But in that same history you had things that could be pointed to from the very first presentations to backup that bad design. This time when push comes to shove the nay sayers haven't delivered anything of note that can be discussed and considered.

When IPC was not known, they said that was at most SB levels, because misinterpretation of the 40% claim (max, mean, relative to BD and not XV etc.).

After IPC was known, they said that in 95W Zen can't anyway beat INTEL clocks, because of superior INTEL process, forgetting the 19 stages of Zen, leading to a low FO4, in the ballpark of XV, that on a shitty 28nm process and HDL low power library, let XV clock at 4.3GHz. Then came blender test, with low consumption on an ES and the latest rumors of ES at 3.2/3.5GHz, at 95W, versus 3.2/3.7 at 140W...

I don't know latest excuses, besides, "because it's AMD" or "low power process, so low clock". Let's see...

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
and the latest rumors of ES at 3.2/3.5GHz, at 95W, versus 3.2/3.7 at 140W...

It sounds like the 3.2/3.5 is going to be 140W, and that's going to be the "Black Edition" model. AMD of course would have had to change their mind about only doing 95W models.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
It sounds like the 3.2/3.5 is going to be 140W, and that's going to be the "Black Edition" model. AMD of course would have had to change their mind about only doing 95W models.

According to the OPN, that ES is still 95W...

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Still one major major factor here.. Is this supposed to be GloFo's first successful launch ever? Those E samples, are they from glofo?

Sven_eng

Nov 1, 2016

It actually started with the 4870. The rumour was AMD quit competing for the high-end GPU market, then they dropped the tiny 4870 on to the huge 280, with no fanfare. Nvidia had to slash prices a month after release.

Some say that AMD would be shouting loud if they had something good. They also say that everytime AMD shout out loud in the past they had a bad chip, eg Barcelona or Bulldozer. :)

More often that not, AMD keeps their best stuff under wraps.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016

Yep.

Hence my rather low expectations of Zen and my tag of #OnceBitten !!!

deasd

Dec 31, 2013
It actually started with the 4870. The rumour was AMD quit competing for the high-end GPU market, then they dropped the tiny 4870 on to the huge 280, with no fanfare. Nvidia had to slash prices a month after release.

Some say that AMD would be shouting loud if they had something good. They also say that everytime AMD shout out loud in the past they had a bad chip, eg Barcelona or Bulldozer. :)

More often that not, AMD keeps their best stuff under wraps.

Yes, I still remember HD4850 forcing NVIDIA slashing price of its whole mid-high end lineup. Not very old story but just happened 8 years ago. Of course this require you have not-bad memory to recall, but unfortunately people are just forgetful, short-memory here.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Just as an aside, if your worried about python being too slow, then after building and profiling your code, you can use cython to give the bottlenecks a helping hand:

For math work, Cython does practically nothing. The point of using Python for math is that Python is only used as glue code, all the actual work is done in numpy. Numpy is very heavily optimized and really fast, and making the glue run faster generally doesn't do anything.

Reactions: Gideon

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
Latest versions of matlab increase dramatically the speed of some routines, namely fft, convolutions and other heavy calculus. Moreover has an autoparallelization for matrix calculations since years... All is done in library (linpack if i remember well), has a jit (not interpreted) a compiler (optional), a parallel toolbox (optional) and a GPU toolbox (optional). Without GPU toolbox, you can still use CUDA: the mex files are functions or scripts compiled as dll, translated from matlab to c (if you have the compiler) or manually written (including the right headers and libraries) and then compiled with the supported compiler. To use cuda you add cuda headers and link cuda libraries to the dll and voilà...

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
For math work, Cython does practically nothing. The point of using Python for math is that Python is only used as glue code, all the actual work is done in numpy. Numpy is very heavily optimized and really fast, and making the glue run faster generally doesn't do anything.

Be careful with that assumption, you may find it useful to at least check some of your code if its repeated & large operations:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7799977/numpy-vs-cython-speed

http://notes-on-cython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/std_dev.html

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
The OPN is real, and I can proof it. I won't do it openly, because every other source has been put down by AMD so far. I will send the info to Dresdenboy via PN (on another forum), so he can verify it, and hopefully he will not tell too much about it.
Thx, read the PM and checked that. So for now I can confirm that it looks legit.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
1D3201A2M88F3_35/32_N

So...

Thats:
1 - Unknown sample type
D - Desktop
32 - 3200 MHz Clock (don't know whether base or peak - given then inclusion of 35/32 later on, we could speculate 3.2 base, 3.5 boost)
01 - Single socket ?
A2 - Unknown, assumed reference to socket type
M - Not sure. Tradition would have it mean 638 pins. We know that can't be right.
8 - 8 Cores
8 - Unknown, traditionally ref to cache size
F3 - Microarchitecture & Revision

Similar OPNs have been observed here:
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-es-benchmarks-leak-out/

1D2801A2M88E4_32/28_N

They have purported Ashes of the Singularity results there too.

***Assuming that the 1D2801A2M88E4_32/28_N corresponds to a 2.8 GHz base w/3.2 GHz boost, and the FPS of 58/sec vs. an i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz getting 65.4/sec is valid***

Then Zen may more or less equate to Haswell in some benchmarks, ahead in IPC but behind in overall speed due to the lower clocks - which may or may not come with a lower TDP as well.

All extrapolation and guesswork of course.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Then Zen may more or less equate to Haswell in some benchmarks, ahead in IPC but behind in overall speed due to the lower clocks - which may or may not come with a lower TDP as well.
Not sure how you come to conclusion of higher IPC when 8 cores at 25% lower clock are slower than 4 cores.

Mar 10, 2006
Duuuuu me! :oops:

Although I guess this would suggest it doesn't do well beyond 4 anyway:

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/03/01/investigating-directx-12-cpu-scaling/

Um...

dx12_cpu_ashes_of_the_singularity_beta_2_average_cpu_frame_rate_high_quality_19x10-100647718-orig.png

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
1D3201A2M88F3_35/32_N

So...

Thats:
1 - Unknown sample type
D - Desktop
32 - 3200 MHz Clock (don't know whether base or peak - given then inclusion of 35/32 later on, we could speculate 3.2 base, 3.5 boost)
01 - Single socket ?
A2 - Unknown, assumed reference to socket type
M - Not sure. Tradition would have it mean 638 pins. We know that can't be right.
8 - 8 Cores
8 - Unknown, traditionally ref to cache size
F3 - Microarchitecture & Revision

Not bad. Not that long ago I found this useful sheet: http://www.cpu-world.com/info/id/AMD-ES-identification.html

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think it looks like haswell too, maybe ivey. It comes down to how Zens HT works/performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.