AMD Ryzen claims top spot in Amazon CPUs!

Technotronic

Jul 12, 2017
m8Xj5ch.jpg

V8g51Rx8J19sPRwgHxw5luFLSh1KdnthTV53MIOOdIo-1.jpg

Its honestly not a surprise.. these Ryzen chips are stunners. I'm completely blown away that AMD's 8-core draws LESS than Intel's 4-core in gaming..
Screenshot_1-2.png

This is reflected on other retailer websites. Now.. something very strange from Newegg. No Ryzen in the top 15 where most have it in top 5 spots.. yet somehow Intel 7800K is already ranked higher? Very fishy to me..

https://www.newegg.com/Processors-Desktops/SubCategory/ID-343?Tid=7671&Order=BESTSELLING

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, the 7700K is at #1 now. It's a little strange how Amazon does it, it's skewed a bit on what Amazon wants to sell. Newegg is pretty much straight volume.
Maybe Amazon had a decent sale yesterday for Prime Day.

Its honestly not a surprise.. these Ryzen chips are stunners. I'm completely blown away that AMD's 8-core draws LESS than Intel's 4-core in gaming..

Course the system is going to draw less - it's slower in gaming. GPU works less.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Kaby Lake was just released a month before Ryzen?
Intel's new multi-core desktop chip isn't out yet. The competition...

And why the Ryzen cheerleading with the power consumption figures?

It's big enough news that Ryzen is a best seller, although not the 1800 series.

I think it speaks well of Kaby Lake that it does so well with half the cores next to a much newer design.

Reactions: Sweepr

Technotronic

Jul 12, 2017
Intel's new multi-core desktop chip isn't out yet. The competition...

And why the Ryzen cheerleading with the power consumption figures?

It's big enough news that Ryzen is a best seller, although not the 1800 series.

I think it speaks well of Kaby Lake that it does so well with half the cores next to a much newer design.
Wait which Multi-core desktop chip? Kaby lake, again, was released one month before Ryzen. I was quoting power consumption figures because these days efficiency is a hugely important part. This could be a big reason why Ryzen is beating Intel's i7's and especially the i5's.

How is Ryzen a much newer design? Kaby Lake was touted as an actual upgrade from Skylake with higher clocks and efficiency. I think your statement actually kinda reads like "I think its not surprising Intel is getting beat charging the same amount for half the cores". They compete at the same price level. I am a bit confused by your statement.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Good for AMD, but Intel doesn't have a new desktop CPU out yet.
Come again? Kabylake and/or skylake x are the competitors for this and were released earlier in kaby case.

If your trying to suggest only a brand new uarch from Intel can be compared to ryzen sales we should come back in 2019.
I would say though ryzen has had some big price reductions or sales? Does that reflect poor take up?

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
We also don't know how Amazon decides what goes on their best seller's list. It's probably not just straight 'most sales,' they use it to push stuff they want to sell more of.

It's honestly less useful than the steam survey, and I'm a critic of the steam survey.

Reactions: Phynaz

Technotronic

Jul 12, 2017
I don't think the op understands how Amazon's top seller lists work - they are updated hourly.

Here's the live link that shows the current top selling CPU.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/229189/ref=sr_bs_0_229189_1
Does anyone understand the top seller lists? If so please do link me as I am running an FBA business and I would KILL to know their algorithms.

The point is that whether they are #1 or #2, Ryzen CPUs seem to be getting at least equal demand from their Intel counterparts which is a massive deal. Honestly at this point Intel simply must release an 8-core SKU on their mainstream platform. Anything else is too much artificial segmentation for a lot of people.

Technotronic

Jul 12, 2017
How did you come to this determination without knowing the actual sales figures?
Because Amazon's "top seller" list put them at equal spots, depending on the hour. This is the default assumption then. Do you have evidence to suggest otherwise?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Because Amazon's "top seller" list put them at equal spots, depending on the hour. This is the default assumption then. Do you have evidence to suggest otherwise?

Product A sells 10 at Noon - Ranked #1
Product B sells 5 at Noon - Ranked #2

Product B sells 100 at 1:00 PM - Ranked #1
Product A sells 10 at 1:00 PM - Ranked #2

Would you say product A and product B are seeing equal demand because they were ranked in equal spots?

Without the actual numbers a ranking is completely meaningless.

Additionally, from Amazon:
While the Amazon Best Sellers list is a good indicator of how well a product is selling overall, it doesn't always indicate how well an item is selling among other similar items.

Last edited:
Reactions: tential

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
To be perfectly honest I would be surprised if any of the Skylake-X chips achieve best sellar status, save perhaps the 7800X. But I expect Coffeelake to cannibalize a lot of its sales.
Yea I agree, ryzen looks extremely good value right now but coffeelake looks to be a really good buy if expected clocks and price come true.

Reactions: Drazick

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
If that is true, then why does Amazon want sell more Ryzen CPUs than anything else?
Ask the algorithm. I doubt they care which $330 CPU you buy as long as it's $330 spent with them.

I'm more surprised the $270 1700 wasn't the top one. Shoot, I wish I had picked that up.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Come again? Kabylake and/or skylake x are the competitors for this and were released earlier in kaby case.

If your trying to suggest only a brand new uarch from Intel can be compared to ryzen sales we should come back in 2019.
I would say though ryzen has had some big price reductions or sales? Does that reflect poor take up?
I think Intel is releasing a 6 core desktop chip fairly soon. Perhaps you've heard of it? I think it's called Coffee Lake? It's essentially an improved Kaby Lake chip on the 14nm++ process with 6 cores and 12 threads.

Too sarcastic?

Reactions: Drazick

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
I think Intel is releasing a 6 core desktop chip fairly soon. Perhaps you've heard of it? I think it's called Coffee Lake? It's essentially an improved Kaby Lake chip on the 14nm++ process with 6 cores and 12 threads.

Too sarcastic?
This is silly, are we then to say the comparisons are not valid on amd side until pinnacle ridge? Where is the cut off point?
I would suggest kabylake and ryzen/summit ridge are the closest competitors and that coffeelake is competition for both raven ridge and pinnacle ridge.

Does that make sense? Sorry i forgot the sarcasm element.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Seems to me we have little info on the six-core coffee lake to even make the claim it will sink Ryzen. These cpu's are supposed to be released in a month or two are they not, yet we have heard little about it. We don't even have a clue as to its frequency yet.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
This is silly, are we then to say the comparisons are not valid on amd side until pinnacle ridge? Where is the cut off point?
I would suggest kabylake and ryzen/summit ridge are the closest competitors and that coffeelake is competition for both raven ridge and pinnacle ridge.

Does that make sense? Sorry i forgot the sarcasm element.
With Intel's tendency lately, they will probably release a dud 6C chip anyway... :D
Or kill it with something silly like requiring an expensive new board.