AMD Ryzen claims top spot in Amazon CPUs!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Seems to me we have little info on the six-core coffee lake to even make the claim it will sink Ryzen. These cpu's are supposed to be released in a month or two are they not, yet we have heard little about it. We don't even have a clue as to its frequency yet.
We've had a few leaks at sisoft...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I would, but it isn't talking. Sadly.

How would Amazon make a higher profit margin selling AMD CPUs, though? Is AMD cutting them some kind of a deal on the back end to pump up volume?
If Amazon pushes them to the top, there must be a reason...

Reactions: Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was expecting the ryzen 1600 to be on top, best value by far.
I'm waiting for them to drop in price under $200, then I'll probably build a few for my friends (*).

(*) Ok, technically, it already has, Newegg had it for $199.99 FS, but that's close enough I'll call it $200 still.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Product A sells 10 at Noon - Ranked #1
Product B sells 5 at Noon - Ranked #2

Product B sells 100 at 1:00 PM - Ranked #1
Product A sells 10 at 1:00 PM - Ranked #2

Would you say product A and product B are seeing equal demand because they were ranked in equal spots?

Without the actual numbers a ranking is completely meaningless.

Additionally, from Amazon:
Just because something is updated every hour doesn't mean they only count the last hour's sales.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I think Intel is releasing a 6 core desktop chip fairly soon. Perhaps you've heard of it? I think it's called Coffee Lake? It's essentially an improved Kaby Lake chip on the 14nm++ process with 6 cores and 12 threads.

Too sarcastic?

Competition is always at the time we compare products. Today the competition is Kabylake and Skylake-x.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
This isn't the Amazon/AMD story I was hoping to read... what I wanted to hear is that Amazon is buying a ton of EPYC processors for their cloud hosting business.

I wants me some cheaper cloud hosting, yo.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If Amazon pushes them to the top, there must be a reason...

Good luck figuring out that one. Might be Amazon beefin with Intel, or who knows what.

This isn't the Amazon/AMD story I was hoping to read... what I wanted to hear is that Amazon is buying a ton of EPYC processors for their cloud hosting business.

I wants me some cheaper cloud hosting, yo.

Wasn't Amazon one of the two shops to get access to Skylake Xeons 6 months early?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Competition is always at the time we compare products. Today the competition is Kabylake and Skylake-x.
Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake are all the same architecture though. Coffee Lake is a 6 core Skylake chip, essentially. It's from 2014.

Aug 11, 2008
Well, kaby lake is a new generation but not really a new product, just a refinement. People who wanted a fast quad have had it available for years, so the demand has been already partially filled. Ryzen is a new product, so obviously demand will be high initially. Let's see how sales settle out after the initial hype dies down.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I think Intel is releasing a 6 core desktop chip fairly soon.

If October is fairly soon then I guess you're correct. But either way, for certain persons, they should probably wait a few more months for CL before deciding.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Let's see how sales settle out after the initial hype dies down

Quite a few persons buying Ryzen are SB/IB owner peoples that were waiting for the right time/price/performance because Intel didn't in that regard for quite a while now. So, there are people buying Ryzen for an actual upgrade not simply Hype.

Last edited:

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I'm waiting for them to drop in price under $200,

I bought mine @ jet.com before the 1600 was even officially released/shipped for $195 (I used a coupon though). I would definitely expect it even before a coupon to get below $200 these days in some cases.

GoNavy1776

Jul 7, 2017
Well, the 7700K is at #1 now. It's a little strange how Amazon does it, it's skewed a bit on what Amazon wants to sell. Newegg is pretty much straight volume.
Maybe Amazon had a decent sale yesterday for Prime Day.

Course the system is going to draw less - it's slower in gaming. GPU works less.

They did. 1700 was 100 off. Prime day only.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake are all the same architecture though. Coffee Lake is a 6 core Skylake chip, essentially. It's from 2014.

CoffeeLake doesnt exist today, RYZEN competitor today is Kabylake and Skylake-X. It doesnt matter if coffeelake is the same arch or not, the product today hasn't been released yet. So today that we have this conversation, it doesnt even register as a competing product against RYZEN.

Because by your logic CoffeeLake competitor is RYZEN+ (Q1 2018) and not current RYZEN ;)

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Well, kaby lake is a new generation but not really a new product, just a refinement. People who wanted a fast quad have had it available for years, so the demand has been already partially filled. Ryzen is a new product, so obviously demand will be high initially. Let's see how sales settle out after the initial hype dies down.

Kabylake SKUs are new products no matter if its the same arch as Skylake. Much the same as Core i5/i7 HEDT socket 2066 SKUs are new products no matter if they are the same arch as Skylake.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
CoffeeLake doesnt exist today, RYZEN competitor today is Kabylake and Skylake-X. It doesnt matter if coffeelake is the same arch or not, the product today hasn't been released yet. So today that we have this conversation, it doesnt even register as a competing product against RYZEN.

Because by your logic CoffeeLake competitor is RYZEN+ (Q1 2018) and not current RYZEN ;)
Well, clearly Coffee Lake exists. It's been leaked on Sisoft a few times going back a couple months. :D
Heck, Cannon Lake 10nm exists. Intel demoed it a long time ago in a laptop.

When the CFL 6C chip is released, aren't people going to complain that it's just another old design SL/KL 14nm part and not anything really new? I can already hear them... :D

Aug 11, 2008
That's not what people said when KL was released. They said it was just a SL clock increase. A re-brand... :D

Yea, that is certainly true. Sort of like automobiles. Manufacturers claim a model is "new" from one year to the next even when it is only slightly restyled or when it is completely redesigned. Ryzen is "more new" in that it brings a new level of cores with decent ipc and power usage (in contrast to Vishera) at each given price point, while Kaby Lake is simply a slight refinement of existing products. Dont know why AMD fans are offended by that. It is a good thing.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Well, clearly Coffee Lake exists. It's been leaked on Sisoft a few times going back a couple months. :D
Heck, Cannon Lake 10nm exists. Intel demoed it a long time ago in a laptop.

When the CFL 6C chip is released, aren't people going to complain that it's just another old design SL/KL 14nm part and not anything really new? I can already hear them... :D

Coffelake as a product that is competing against RYZEN today doesnt exists, simple as that. You cannot go and buy any CoffeeLake SKUs out there today.

There is a difference talking about Coffelake architecture and the Coffeelake SKU products (Actual Core i3/5/7 CPUs). 6-core Coffelake SKUs for Socket 1151 will be new products when they will be released.

Today, RYZEN SKUs competitors are the Kabylake and Skylake-X (Socket 1151/2066) that are available on the market. If we have the same conversation 2-3 months later and CoffeLake has been released then we can say RYZEN SKUs competitors are CoffeeLake and Skylake-X but not today.

That's not what people said when KL was released. They said it was just a SL clock increase. A re-brand... :D

People were talking about the architecture not the SKUs, the actual Kabylake SKUs were not the same as the older Skylake SKUs.

Last edited:

GoNavy1776

Jul 7, 2017
IIRC, a lot of people even said that the 7000 numbers should not have been used for KL as it was not a new chip.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-review/

That review basically excoriates KL as just Skylake with new clocks and new names.

"the Kaby Lake desktop chips are but a mere clock speed boost disguised under the nomenclature of a new CPU generation."

But then comes along Zen with blistering multithread performance forcing Intel to once again innovate and compete.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
But then comes along Zen with blistering multithread performance forcing Intel to once again innovate and compete.

if not for the 14 and 10nm problem Intel whould have beaten AMD to 8 cores in mainstream. They really dont have to innovate anything, just fix the problems with the process.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
if not for the 14 and 10nm problem Intel whould have beaten AMD to 8 cores in mainstream. They really dont have to innovate anything, just fix the problems with the process.
Yes. And thats why they are beaten big time by amd.