AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I am using Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, but I get following temperature readings
Motherboard ASUS B350 Prime Plus

BIOS : ~68 °C
Ryzen Master : 56 °C
ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5 Dashboard : ~68 °C

Inconsistencies everywhere. The fan control is messed up because of this and the cooler is running at high rpms. I checked the thermal paste and the heat sink and it is very cool.

You can change the fan speed temperature thresholds in BIOS. I have mine at 58-63-67 C (Low-Med-High). Asus changed the temperature offsets, and it doesn't look like they're going to change them back.
Ryzen Master is probably the one you want to trust for actual temps when stress testing, but the BIOS temps are what the fan controller uses.-

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I still can't get why people are buying Asus if they are bricking left and right and the Aorus and MSI boards are perfectly good.

I have to admit I haven't followed this issue that closely but I think some of the bricking was avoidable back when it happened, and certainly avoidable now. Some reported that they were in windows and saw some notice that the bios was going to be updated, and then the system rebooted for the flash and that was it. I personally avoid windows utilities that do updates and I'll only flash the bios from in the bios. Avoid the utilities and you'll mostly be OK. Maybe Asus had a bad bios also, I don't know, but again, once word gets out you can avoid that bios. Just don't be the first to try a new bios. And then of course many believe that the Crosshair VI Hero is the best board, so they get it anyway and just be careful. Again, no utilities, and don't be the first to try a bios and you should be fine.

edit: I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that many other high end boards from MSI and Gigabyte don't have clock generators so certain types of overclocking/tweaking aren't possible. I think the MSI Titanium may be be in this category. Asus usually leads the pack in terms of features for tweaking and overclocking.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I am interested in knowing if the NH-D15 SE-AM4 uses the original D15 design or the offset D15S design. I hedged and bought the D15S to make sure I didn't get the older design.

If you let me know what differences to look for I can confirm for you middle of next week when I receive the part.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
-

RE: flashing BIOS on Asus Mobos:

From following the C6H thread [with elmor + Raja of Asus] @ OCN, flash using the utility in the Asus BIOS should take Minutes, while flashing through Windows can take hours. Flash using the Asus BIOS utility is preferred, FWIW.

Yes, this is how I should have done it, but... Like, leaning over to plug in a USB stick is sooooooooo inconvenient. :rolleyes:

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Still waiting for my MSI X370 Titanium... I have to be honest, I feel like I'll never get it... Man what a crummy launch... CPUs everywhere, Motherboards nowhere in sight... Except the few CH6's here and there.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
I am interested in knowing if the NH-D15 SE-AM4 uses the original D15 design or the offset D15S design. I hedged and bought the D15S to make sure I didn't get the older design.

Pretty sure it isn't offset It completely obstructs the first PCIE slot on mymobo and is close to the second slot no issue for me since the second slot down is for the gpu on my board.

y3mpascP1XZdsMrMMbJR1kx-pjeJoI_ynzzVjCRNXAlEwyPNGCLAbkFYu5la-R0zmVrTz00-MaW7mfRJn8I8palaD4qTHdYtCmbchv5gFY-lMNbOywGaWYNrk5I17kgQ-9dPx43c2y2mWYPGGpLOMnRPHXyeqZq4qs4hyTkv0r33e8

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
Aren't you guys a little worried to mount such a huge heatsink to your motherboard? I have the Phanteks version of the NH-D15 SE-AM4 and this thing is massive and heavy!!
Here is a link to what the Heatsink looks like and before anyone asks no I didn't pay $200 for it maybe around $75.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE5045526

My D15 weighs almost 3 pounds with both fans installed but I'm not worried at all for one it's just sitting there and the weight is spread across the backplate

DeeJayBump

Oct 9, 2008
Yes, this is how I should have done it, but... Like, leaning over to plug in a USB stick is sooooooooo inconvenient. :rolleyes:

To be clear: You still need to use a USB stick/drive (on the designated USB port for BIOS in the case of the C6H) with the BIOS you're flashing to when using the Asus BIOS flashing utility.

Point being to utilize the flash utility WITHIN the Asus BIOS rather than any Windows BIOS software to do the flashing.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you let me know what differences to look for I can confirm for you middle of next week when I receive the part.

Check this comparison:

http://www.legitreviews.com/noctua-nh-d15s-versus-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review_188613

Aren't you guys a little worried to mount such a huge heatsink to your motherboard? I have the Phanteks version of the NH-D15 SE-AM4 and this thing is massive and heavy!!

Doesn't worry me. Not one bit.

Pretty sure it isn't offset It completely obstructs the first PCIE slot on mymobo and is close to the second slot no issue for me since the second slot down is for the gpu on my board.

Hmmm . . .

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
My D15 weighs almost 3 pounds with both fans installed but I'm not worried at all for one it's just sitting there and the weight is spread across the backplate

There is this thing call torque. You might have learned about it in physics class.

I never understand why the heatsink don't attach directly to the case behind the motherboard so as to take the stress away from the motherboard.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Check this comparison:

http://www.legitreviews.com/noctua-nh-d15s-versus-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review_188613

Doesn't worry me. Not one bit.

Hmmm . . .
Odd the d15s is cooling more with 2 fans despite being smaller.

There is this thing call torque. You might have learned about it in physics class.

I never understand why the heatsink don't attach directly to the case behind the motherboard so as to take the stress away from the motherboard.

Doesn't seem to be a serious problem.

If you were really worried, you could put the pc on it's side I guess.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Kind of tempted to pick up a 1700 + B350 motherboard now, but I think I'll wait for the next 10% eBay bucks and/or sales before building yet another rig. I also want to see how things develop before using one as server/VM box.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
If you are in the usa, and didn't backorder on newegg on the 2nd, then you might be in for a long wait.

I pre-ordered on the 22nd @ Amazon and my Motherboard wont ship until 15th March, but everyone has been getting different dates, some as late as April 21st!

Apparantly Amazon doesn't follow order queue, and gives priority to prime members or upgraded shipping orders over those who ordered before. Never spending more than $10 @ amazon ever again.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
The AsRock Fatal1ty X370 is almost identical to the AsRock X370 Taichi aside from having a few more components.

I am not sure I am willing to spend $50 extra over the AsRock X370 Taichi though even if the AsRock Fatal1ty X370 is in stock.

Reactions: SketchMaster

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
To be clear: You still need to use a USB stick/drive (on the designated USB port for BIOS in the case of the C6H) with the BIOS you're flashing to when using the Asus BIOS flashing utility.

Point being to utilize the flash utility WITHIN the Asus BIOS rather than any Windows BIOS software to do the flashing.

I'm just giving myself major crap for being lazy. ;)

Reactions: DeeJayBump

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
Odd the d15s is cooling more with 2 fans despite being smaller.

It's not smaller though its just shaped a bit differently without fans they both weigh the same, I suspect that difference in cooling from that review more from how the offset changed the airflow in that particular test, or maybe the ambient temps weren't controlled precisely.

y3mINs7laYvSJ83FKIYx_gRvZHgwIqWc0-mmife2jLFDTLPalE0vXoUmZXAtoqAi1SxHAvNAfoUrGibhJz34GmhbRJEFy1Bzw_jCm6wLkjj0NxIHjcDHa04z1Jg4Fg8c1WoY_pgb-VZtdmRZFlfQwi9t_IfHsOzUfnUU2KyKg-hwNk
y3mmNHhgvKWzzbahC45q4rlDGd1jfxmec1IWQ11f4XAVrl-yUmWjWRz-C_ocNoVEZoxWEGgPXK8ZKkVooNDdKPFXc7M2fRBa-xzBr3p4ls1Ikt2ih689df9yC6asAAkgTrs5rmygQO3UslBziV9stnvHNTMcdQYmFeU7wZBDuNTgjQ

y3mAeXafkmSqp_Dxl9q7QIKcPum5tlk5EjSJSkLamv3oy5PovL1zvOGTqS1wt_7yRr_AB-u2bv5D71OQOW4x9u6WRbt4wr6NbOEl69nOjND0rof-x9Sw8AnCKU4veK8lEzfxGUITNCOlF_YBImmSx2kAxIMcdkVILLVltQt7EPoqOQ

The D15S makes the heatsink sit higher up on the mother board as you cn see the D15 uses up the first expansion slot, but has some space at the top of the motherboard. the Define c case that I'm using has an adjustable exhaust fan so I was able to line it up with the coolers fans, I did put the cooler in a pull pull configuration though to avoid the memory slots

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Has anyone used the Ryzen Master application yet? I just installed it and can't get it to run.

Ryzen Master requires AMDRyzenMasterDriver1.0.0
Please install driver using installer.

Missing Drivers!

Installed and reinstalled. Tried the DriverUtility.bat -i and it gave an error that the driver is unsigned.