AMD Ryzen 5000 Builders Thread

Page 82 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I would hate to work in that case. The XFX card looks like it's barely breathing.
That case is easy compared to other ITX cases I've built in. You can strip it down to a bare frame and everything is relatively simple to get at. I bet that card does just fine in there. The cooler is overkill to begin with so its neat you can even fit it. I pointed out to @DAPUNISHER in another thread that this GPU would probably fit in this case. Sure enough it did, and here we are.

The fact that the GPU fans are really close to the bottom mesh means it's most likely sucking up plenty of fresh air. Even if it wasn't, a couple of slim fans in the bottom would likely fix that right up if turbulence didn't become an issue. Every time I've tried it in a case it helps GPU temps even when right up next to the GPU fans. This case has so much venting on all of the panels you probably really only need some exhaust pressure to help keep fresh air feeding the coolers anyway.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would hate to work in that case. The XFX card looks like it's barely breathing.
Dude it is SO easy to work in the nr200 series. @Rigg has/had? one too. Pay attention to his posts, he knows what's up. Being able to reach in from the top or side or front makes everything easy peasy. Moving the SFX PSU to the front made a nice difference too. As to the 6800, it fits -

like-a-glove-gif.gif

Temps are great. You should know by now I game mostly on a 1080 60Hz TV. I use a frame cap and have the XFX on the silent bios. Everything else is on a custom fan curve; it's a cool an quiet system in this climate controlled 23c room. Though when it's nicer out it can get down another 4-6c in here by design. The peerless assassin SE handles the 5600X3D easily like this.

If you don't like this build I feel bad for you son. I got 99 no problems, but if I did, this wouldn't be one. 🤣

Rigg

May 6, 2020
@Rigg has/had? one too. Pay attention to his posts, he knows what's up.

I'll continue to be the owner of one for the next 24 hrs or so anyway. Pretty sure I have a legit buyer coming to snatch it up tomorrow.

5600X3D.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra120EX REV.4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G OC GeForce RTX 3060 12GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF600 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Deepcool FK120 68.99 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Deepcool FK120 68.99 CFM 120 mm Fan

Jul 27, 2020

Yo bros, Ryzen 5000 XT series incoming!!!!

1711112254768.png

Hopefully some CPUs manage to escape China, with a little help from a tiny shopping site called Ali Express :)

Funny that some folks may have been waiting for over 3 years for these: https://www.techspot.com/news/89719-leak-suggests-ryzen-5000xt-desktop-cpus-coming-soon.html

I would sure love me a better binned 5950XT or a 5800XT3D!

LONG LIVE AM$ !!!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
What if the CCDs have matured so much that they don't have enough inferior CCDs to pair them up with the one good CCD in 5950X so they put two of the good CCDs in 5950XT and charge a bit higher for that?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I upgraded to a 5700x from a 3600. The difference has been dramatic.

CPU temps are great as is performance. Some cores hit 4.7ghz.

My next upgrade will be ram - 32gb kit 3600 Vengeance Pro LPX Z version (optimized for AMD).

The temps are good, I think there was an article which said that it was what the 5800x was meant to be.
The Ryzen Master per core optimize thing takes a really long time and is it worth it? I read that the results are optimistic and tends to overshoot what is stable.
I haven't done the corecycler thing yet to dial in the per core offsets.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Aussie Steve testing a popular viewers request. He wasn't certain how to describe the video but it is basically - how far can you take the min max build strategy before it stops making sense. He tests the 5600 with a 4080 vs some other configs. Conclusion is obvious: It holds back the 4080 and can introduce frame pacing issues. His being a good fortnite player, he discusses how it holds back his abilities by not providing high enough or smooth enough fps.

You could get a bit more out of the 5600 by tuning it, but it isn't going to be enough to change the results. The bar graphs hide the experience a bit too as he points out in his conclusion. They make things look better than they really are.

Bummed he didn't include the 5800X3D with the 4080. Even the 5600X3D which someone sent him, would have been somewhat illuminating.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Aussie Steve testing a popular viewers request. He wasn't certain how to describe the video but it is basically - how far can you take the min max build strategy before it stops making sense. He tests the 5600 with a 4080 vs some other configs. Conclusion is obvious: It holds back the 4080 and can introduce frame pacing issues. His being a good fortnite player, he discusses how it holds back his abilities by not providing high enough or smooth enough fps.

You could get a bit more out of the 5600 by tuning it, but it isn't going to be enough to change the results. The bar graphs hide the experience a bit too as he points out in his conclusion. They make things look better than they really are.

Bummed he didn't include the 5800X3D with the 4080. Even the 5600X3D which someone sent him, would have been somewhat illuminating.

In Germany there s 35€ between the 5600X and the 5700X, i would think that someone buying such costly GPUs would have the tiny cash difference to buy the latter, so that s just a review that has no relevance with the real world, a 5600X will likely be paired with a much less costly GPU, as you point it a faster but still low cost CPU would be more on point for such a review.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
In Germany there s 35€ between the 5600X and the 5700X, i would think that someone buying such costly GPUs would have the tiny cash difference to buy the latter, so that s just a review that has no relevance with the real world, a 5600X will likely be paired with a much less costly GPU, as you point it a faster but still low cost CPU would be more on point for such a review.
I agree. In this case however, the community members voted for it. The younger crowd is all about the min max meme for builds. Trying to spend 50% or less on the build leaving as much of the budget as possible for the GPU. A used 5600/X can often be found for a $100 in the U.S., that's what I paid for them in our for sale/trade forum a couple years ago, nevermind now. Consequently, I can understand their wanting to know just how much they can devote to a GPU to pair with it. Particularly given how much bad user to user advice I read on places like r/PCMR, about how at 4K it's all on the GPU and you can cheese hard on the CPU.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I agree. In this case however, the community members voted for it. The younger crowd is all about the min max meme for builds. Trying to spend 50% or less on the build leaving as much of the budget as possible for the GPU. A used 5600/X can often be found for a $100 in the U.S., that's what I paid for them in our for sale/trade forum a couple years ago, nevermind now. Consequently, I can understand their wanting to know just how much they can devote to a GPU to pair with it. Particularly given how much bad user to user advice I read on places like r/PCMR, about how at 4K it's all on the GPU and you can cheese hard on the CPU.

-Yeah 5600/x was the bang for buck CPU just one cycle ago, it was the CPU to get on a budget with the RDNA2/Ampere gen.

It's wild how quickly it has run into a wall, I guess this is what actual competitive progress looks like?

A gazillion years of Sandy Bridge + 5% IPC (the less said about Bull****dozer the better) has likely ruined the performance expectations of an entire generation.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

There s a lot of things that are unfortunate in this review, not only some CPUs are missing but the choice of the GPU is not that neutral as well.

If he had used say a 7900XTX then the difference between the 5600 and the top notch CPUs would have beeen significantly lower because Nvida GPUs driver overhead is terrible, so we dont know if it s the 5600 wich is too weak or the 4080 driver overhead wich is too much for this CPU, he should have done the test with several GPUs to have a point, here that s more of a corner case than anything else.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
There s a lot of things that are unfortunate in this review, not only some CPUs are missing but the choice of the GPU is not that neutral as well.

If he had used say a 7900XTX then the difference between the 5600 and the top notch CPUs would have beeen significantly lower because Nvida GPUs driver overhead is terrible, so we dont know if it s the 5600 wich is too weak or the 4080 driver overhead wich is too much for this CPU, he should have done the test with several GPUs to have a point, here that s more of a corner case than anything else.

- I would really like to see a mid-range CPU (5600X) paired with the top/middle/bottom equivalents of each vendor's GPU stack style review.

I wonder how many people shell out beu coup bucks on a nice NV GPU when a cheaper AMD/Intel CPU would give them better all around performance thanks to less driver overhead?

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
Was searching for ryzen 7 5700 specs, and AMD made it a lot harder to search for specs on their website. took me like 10 minutes to find this page 1712817093174.png

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Meh, I just use copilot now. Better results and answers than google and provides the links. For the 5700 the first link is to the techpowerup CPU database.

Viewers requested the 5800X3D be included in CPU benchmarks despite having been tested over 20 times. 🤣 So he did it. Nothing changed; still as fast as the 7700X in his suite of games. For most flight and racing sims Zen 3&4 3D are the best choice.

Jul 27, 2020
Kudos to him for simulating a 7600X3D!

For me, the summary of the video seems to be, 7900X3D is bad value. 5800X3D, while hated by Hogwarts and Spiderman games, generally punches above its weight class and often beats the 7950X, especially in minimum fps so smoother gameplay.

I do think that instead of a 7600X3D, AMD should create a 7700X3D with the same clocks as a 7600X or slightly higher, just enough to not cannibalize sales of its 7800X3D, so people have a good and cheap reason to go with AM5 instead of getting the older AM4/5800X3D if building a new gaming system. 7700X3D also because 8C/16T seems to be what most current and future games are making good use of.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
LOL at hated by Spiderman. It had a 136fps average. That's some weak haterade my friend. :p

It's interesting to me that many builders are not taking the advice to build AM5 when shopping new. AM4 boards still regularly sell well i.e. top 10 at Amazon U.S. along with Zen 3. Perhaps platform maturity, gaming focused builds, used, quality fast DDR 4 32GB kits being all over the place for $50 or less, along with low wattage/being easy to cool, are playing a role?