AMD Ryzen 5000 Builders Thread

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If it's the same case you posted earlier in the photo it looks pretty rooms too me. Does it have a HDD tray down under the bottom compartment?

Corsair 220t is a pretty tight fit for my backup rig....Maybe it's just the XFX that makes it look so? It had a HDD tray down under that I had to remove for some more space for cables.

View attachment 47639

The lower 140mm could be used as a GPU support if it was need. lol

View attachment 47640

Yes, exactly, HDD tray .. and its, was, bolted to the frame. So had to apply the good old equation of "violence * velocity = gtfo" to get the job done .. ripped it straight out, of cause it is pretty banged up down there now but hey, I am never gonna mount a spinner on the inside a case ever again. So meh.
Side note : That card is Yyyyuuuuge .. how long is it? It was actually one of the things I checked for when buying the case, space for gfx card.(shoulda checked PSU as well I guess...)

Reactions: Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Running Prime95 now.
I had some weird issue exiting a game and subsequent failures to fast-load windows.
Have begun to optimize memory etc in bios (had a few non starters as well, had to short clrtc)
Anything here catch your eye?
new hardware.png

edit : stopped the test early, temps were reaching 90 deg C. Damn !!!

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Running Prime95 now.
I had some weird issue exiting a game and subsequent failures to fast-load windows.
Have begun to optimize memory etc in bios (had a few non starters as well, had to short clrtc)
Anything here catch your eye?
View attachment 47683

1. 5800X's run hot.
2. What is your room temp?
3. Could be poor seating of your HSF (did you use the pre-applied TIM, or use a better one?).

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
1. 5800X's run hot.
2. What is your room temp?
3. Could be poor seating of your HSF (did you use the pre-applied TIM, or use a better one?).
- Ok.
- Its high ~25-28deg C.
- pre-applied. I think the seating should be ok, I've mushed it pretty good and is firmly screwed on without too much force.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
- Ok.
- Its high ~25-28deg C.
- pre-applied. I think the seating should be ok, I've mushed it pretty good and is firmly screwed on without too much force.
Then that seems reasonable to me. The 12cm Noctua's under perform the D-15s, obviously. Too bad Noctua doesn't include their own branded tube of paste anymore, it's worth a few degrees off.
Personally, I don't run any programs that stress out my CPU like Prime95 does - so don't stress out about your temps :D.

Reactions: cytg111

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Then that seems reasonable to me. The 12cm Noctua's under perform the D-15s, obviously. Too bad Noctua doesn't include their own branded tube of paste anymore, it's worth a few degrees off.
They did for me. But 1xnoctua tube did not seem like it was not enough. The tube is only like 1/4th full from Noctua.

I ended up finding a tube from a previous noctua heatsink I had ordered, and dumped both tubes on. The extra just squeezes out the sides anyway.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I love the AM4 seating on the Noctua heatsinks, with the two spring driven screws. Self levels and floats with the spring tension pushing it down. Makes it nearly impossible to screw it up.

I have a somewhat "aggressive"* pbo2 "overclock" going, and I have never been anywhere near those temperatures**. Maybe pull your heatsink off and verify that the paste spread evenly over the entire CPU.

*:
TDP 185watts
TDC 125amps
EDC 170amps
curve optimizer -10
max boost over ride +200
pbo scaler x10

I have had no issues at all. No crashes, no high temps, nothing.
Just using the generic XMP memory profile for my memory, nothing special

**there was a program that came with my mainboard called "asus cpu-z". Under the bench tab there is an option to stress test the CPU. Using that stress test I end up at 70-71c as reported by "asus AI suite 3". Looks like it loads down all the cores, and the frequency runs about 4450 Mhz during the test with a cpu reported power consumption of 148-154 watts. I also left the Ethereum miner running during the test, so the GPU was a nice hot toaster right underneath the CPU heatsink.

My gut is telling me you did not apply enough paste :).

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Is the Corsair H100i iCUE Elite a better CPU cooler than the Noctua U12A? I currently have a Noctua U12A CPU cooler for my 5800x. My 5800x hit's 90C in CB20 multicore within 4-5 seconds at a room temperature of 78F and then throttles down to 4.4-4.45 GHz while at 90C near then end of one run and I tried the stock NT-H1 paste and now I'm using Corsair XTM50 paste and no change in CPU package temperatures as checked by HWinfo64. Also I have a Fractal Meshify-C case that can only support a 280 and 360mm AIO if those are front-mounted and if I want to top mount an AIO it can only support up to 240mm for that. I don't want to end up bringing hot air into my case from a radiator, so I was thinking that maybe I'm better of with a 240mm AIO and top mount it as exhaust in my case. Ideally I prefer it if my 5800x stayed under 85C in CB20 multicore and didn't throttle below 4.6 GHz all-core. Is it worth switching to a Corsair H100i iCUE Elite from a Noctua U12A?

Yesterday I reapplied the thermal paste using the 5-dot method and reinstalled the Noctua U12A. Idle CPU package temperature seems to have dropped 2-3 degrees but load temperatures are the same. I also made a mess of the thermal paste when applying the 5-dot method as the thermal paste would still keep leaking from the tube for a bit after making the each dot, and ended up with streaks of thermal paste between the outer dots and the center dot. Pull back on the syringe of the tube did not stop the leaking of the thermal paste from the tube but it eventually did stop. I'm not sure if those streaks of thermal paste between the dots are going to negatively affect the cooling performance.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yesterday I reapplied the thermal paste using the 5-dot method and reinstalled the Noctua U12A. Idle CPU package temperature seems to have dropped 2-3 degrees but load temperatures are the same. I also made a mess of the thermal paste when applying the 5-dot method as the thermal paste would still keep leaking from the tube for a bit after making the each dot, and ended up with streaks of thermal paste between the outer dots and the center dot. Pull back on the syringe of the tube did not stop the leaking of the thermal paste from the tube but it eventually did stop. I'm not sure if those streaks of thermal paste between the dots are going to negatively affect the cooling performance.
You likely are using too much paste (and it's not spreading evenly). I know when I tried the usual "pea method" when I went from Intel to AMD, the paste did not cover the entire CPU.

Maybe try something like this to spread a very thin layer on the heat-spreader. You really don't need very much at all (just enough to fill the microscopic holes of the metal). If it's squeezing out of the sides, it's too much paste

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-Compound-Micro-particles-Durability/dp/B0795DP124/

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I love the AM4 seating on the Noctua heatsinks, with the two spring driven screws. Self levels and floats with the spring tension pushing it down. Makes it nearly impossible to screw it up.

I have a somewhat "aggressive"* pbo2 "overclock" going, and I have never been anywhere near those temperatures**. Maybe pull your heatsink off and verify that the paste spread evenly over the entire CPU.

*:
TDP 185watts
TDC 125amps
EDC 170amps
curve optimizer -10
max boost over ride +200
pbo scaler x10

I have had no issues at all. No crashes, no high temps, nothing.
Just using the generic XMP memory profile for my memory, nothing special

**there was a program that came with my mainboard called "asus cpu-z". Under the bench tab there is an option to stress test the CPU. Using that stress test I end up at 70-71c as reported by "asus AI suite 3". Looks like it loads down all the cores, and the frequency runs about 4450 Mhz during the test with a cpu reported power consumption of 148-154 watts. I also left the Ethereum miner running during the test, so the GPU was a nice hot toaster right underneath the CPU heatsink.

My gut is telling me you did not apply enough paste :).

Prime95, IIRC, is particular nasty cause it will burn avx circuitry to max on top, and that burns calories. But yea, I might give it another look.
After a heavy gaming session it picked at 80 degrees on one core, but thats it.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
You likely are using too much paste (and it's not spreading evenly). I know when I tried the usual "pea method" when I went from Intel to AMD, the paste did not cover the entire CPU.

Maybe try something like this to spread a very thin layer on the heat-spreader. You really don't need very much at all (just enough to fill the microscopic holes of the metal). If it's squeezing out of the sides, it's too much paste

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-Compound-Micro-particles-Durability/dp/B0795DP124/

The thermal paste spread evenly on the whole CPU on the previous application of this Corsair thermal paste upon inspection before I went to reapply that paste using the 5-dot method. However, previously, I did create a bigger blob in the middle than a pea size that time and probably too big because after removing the heatsink off the CPU, I noticed some of the Corsair thermal paste went on my motherboard and the side of my CPU and the side of the CPU socket and ended up cleaning it up with alcohol prep pads and it's now mostly cleaned off except the hard to reach edges, like where the motherboard meets the edge of the CPU socket and some of the side of the CPU. It tried using the corner of an old credit card and covering the corner with the alcohol prep pad but I still could not clean off the slight line of thermal paste residue right next to the CPU socket. I hope I don't short something while my PC is turned on due to not doing a perfect clean job of this thermal compound, but this is non-conductive and and non-volatile according to Corsair's description of this paste.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I hope I don't short something while my PC is turned on due to not doing a perfect clean job of this thermal compound, but this is non-conductive and and non-volatile according to Corsair's description of this paste.

Nearly all heat sink paste is non-conductive and can be pasted all over the place without harming anything.

The exceptions are boutique pastes that will let you know they are conductive, or liquid metal foolishness.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

They will not. There is no such thing as to much paste:

We've all seen people say "that's too much thermal paste." Most the time, it turns out, they're wrong. This test benchmarks thermal paste application methods.

The difference between perfect and way to much is insignificant for cooling performance. The only penalty is if you do not put enough on.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Getting these a lot, either hard freezes or reboots .. typically in context of a gaming session.

ffs.png
And others just like it but

Processor APIC ID: 10
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Not good eh?
I am building two of these rigs, minus the 3080ti, but got other spare gfx units lying around... But I got another 5800x, should I give that a try?

Last edited:
  • Wow

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Getting these a lot, either hard freezes or reboots .. typically in context of a gaming session.

View attachment 47734

Not good eh?
I am building two of these rigs, minus the 3080ti, but got other spare gfx units lying around... But I got another 5800x, should I give that a try?

That's not good :(

Are you running stock or did you monkey around with PBO and offset voltages?

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net

View attachment 47734

Not good eh?
Swapping the CPU would be the place to start, since you have another to try.

Reactions: cytg111 and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

View attachment 47734

Not good eh?
Considering the issues you have already had this with this mainboard, I suspect the mainboard is the core of your problems. But the CPU swap is what you have, so why not try it.

I set the memory to 3600 everything else auto. I did have to clear the bios one time cause it wouldt post after I put in the actual latencies that the ram supports.
Odd choice? -> I am under the impression the correct way is to set the XMP profile, although on AMD mainboards it is called a DOCP profile . This normally sets all the sub timings correct.

Your previous grounding issues makes me wonder if one of the mainboards layers is slightly miss-etched.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Mindfactory CPU sales numbers, more or less expected no doubt.

Interesting that ZEN3 has completely killed HEDT sales from both Intel and AMD. I wonder is that due to supply issues with Zen2 ThreadRippers, or just noone is really into rendering anymore and 16C is more than plenty?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I was checking the individual core temperatures of my 5800x in the latest version of OCCT and during idle they are within 1-2 degrees C of each other but during full load like running an OCCT Linepack 5-minute run there was a 9C difference in temperature between the coolest core and the hottest core, the coolest core got up to 81C and the hottest core got up to 90C. 2 cores hit 90C. Is this temperature difference normal for a 5800x or is this a sign that the thermal compound didn't spread evenly upon seating the heatsink on my CPU? Ideally should it be 81C-83C, and not 90C if I have an even spread of the thermal compound?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I was checking the individual core temperatures of my 5800x in the latest version of OCCT and during idle they are within 1-2 degrees C of each other but during full load like running an OCCT Linepack 5-minute run there was a 9C difference in temperature between the coolest core and the hottest core, the coolest core got up to 81C and the hottest core got up to 90C. 2 cores hit 90C. Is this temperature difference normal for a 5800x or is this a sign that the thermal compound didn't spread evenly upon seating the heatsink on my CPU? Ideally should it be 81C-83C, and not 90C if I have an even spread of the thermal compound?
What RPMs are your fans spinning at on your NH-U12A? Those fans go up to 2000 RPM, so maybe you need to increase your fan curve in your UEFI (or set it to performance).

Outside of the NH-D15, your cooler is the highest performing Noctua cooler, so something's not right if you're seeing 90c (with good case airflow and good ambient temperatures).

5.jpg

Edit:

I also came across this previous discussion about the 5800X and the Noctua NH-U12S. Maybe that's a normal temperature when running synthetic benchmarks which push your CPU.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-thread-reviews-begin-page-39.2585890/page-48
Also of note are the last two processors[5600X and 5800X] – both processors are reporting 4450 MHz all-core turbo frequency, however the 5800X is doing it with 14.55 W per core, but the 5600X can do it with only 10.20 W per core. In this instance, this seems that the voltage of the 5800X is a lot higher than the other processors, and this is forcing higher thermals – we were measuring 90ºC at full load after 30 seconds (compared to 73ºC on the 5600X or 64ºC on the 5950X), which might be stunting the frequency here. The motherboard might be over-egging the voltage a little here, going way above what is actually required for the core.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Hmm. Try reading through this:

I haven't gotten to the end of it, but it looks like a microcode issue to me.

Odd choice? -> I am under the impression the correct way is to set the XMP profile, although on AMD mainboards it is called a DOCP profile . This normally sets all the sub timings correct.

XMP profiles do some crazy . . . stuff. Anyone who can commit the time should really use the Ryzen Timing Calculator instead.

Reactions: Noid

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
XMP profiles do some crazy . . . stuff.

PBO is no different ...
.. they are both subject to BIOS programming.

I found the " Dram Calculator " is good for getting you ball park settings.
( but I dont recommend the " Tuner " it has )

My shutdown problem .... still exists.

And, I am able to boot PBO disabled now with static my O/C.
But, Prime95 still draws ~220w PPT ( still looking to control PPT )

As, for my shutdown problem ---
I just re-seated everything, and going to re-install that instant shutdown game I have.
... If i still crash ---- > Im going to put my Nvidia 2070 back in ...
( maybe my 3 month old $900 6700XT is failing --- > I'm in denial -- lol )