Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
AMD should have changed their marketing materials to how many laws they can mow more than John Deere. Doesn't matter when you can't even produce any for sale.

:rolleyes: You're about 2 weeks late to party. Cry to someone else, I honestly don't care. AMD, Sony and Microsoft are all having supply issues. It's already been noted that Sony and MS are both going to be supply constrained until later in 1Q21. Everything points to the fact that TSMC is most likely having huge supply and or production issues. Not to mention you have some bozo at AMD who talks crap to customers on Twitter. He still owes that guy $10.

So basically exactly what I said in my post you disliked? Yet AMD and Sony "screwed the pooch", but MS or NVIDIA didn't? And how am I crying? You're the one who wont stop posting the same crap.

Here is what I said as a reminder:

What do you want AMD to do? Magically fart 7nm wafers from TSMC? There are four very highly in demand products relying on TSMC right now. Never mind whatever else uses it. Until demand calms down some this will be a reality. You don't seem to understand this. Bitching about it in every post doesn't help.

Either way, while I know you guys here don't like the term paper launch (although it was gladly used in threads with similar issues from other manufactures), the fact is they promoted all this and can't deliver said product.

Sounds to me like you just get all upset when someone says something bad about a company you prefer. Otherwise why not ridicule MS and NVIDIA too?

Also, I could downvote you too, and should. I don't care if you downvote me, but it should be for my opinion, not because you don't like me. And that's pretty blatant when you downvote me here and here in completely innocent posts that you were not involved in that are now two to three weeks old.

You're not going to win any friends here doing stuff like that. Maybe you don't care. You should care that it makes you look like a child throwing a fit, though. But maybe you have no shame. After all, you ignore facts like that article about Sony that they took down because it was false. Who needs facts when they don't fit your agenda?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Sounds to me like you just get all upset when someone says something bad about a company you prefer. Otherwise why not ridicule MS and NVIDIA too?

Also, I could downvote you too, and should. I don't care if you downvote me, but it should be for my opinion, not because you don't like me. And that's pretty blatant when you downvote me here and here in completely innocent posts that you were not involved in that are now two to three weeks old.

You're not going to win any friends here doing stuff like that. Maybe you don't care. You should care that it makes you look like a child throwing a fit, though. But maybe you have no shame. After all, you ignore facts like that article about Sony that they took down because it was false. Who needs facts when they don't fit your agenda?

1. Sony screwed EVERYONE by claiming many months earlier they would NOT do a surprise pre-order and they would give PLENTY of time ahead of the pre-order to let people know. Guess what? Everyone had less than 12hrs notice and some retailers opened the pre-orders before the meeting even ended!

Sorry, I can't blame MS the same. They announced a date and stuck to it. No one was doing pre-orders before they announced it. Big difference and made for an even playing field.

nVidia, I can't really speak on because I haven't been involved in the purchase of their new GPU and don't know how they handled it.

I don't care about winning friends on a forum. This is a discussion place, not somewhere that I'm looking to pick up real friends, lol. I don't have these discussions in real life and don't care to. I have a completely different life and you should as well.

FYI: that article that you says is false? CNN just used it as a reference TODAY in their discussions on the PS5 and Xbox supply shortages. You can call it fake news or whatever you want, but you've provided nothing (other than Sony's response) that it is not true.

I believe Bloomberg and CNN over the manufacture's response to why they don't have stock. That's just me.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Going back to the Nvidia 1000 series, Intel 9th gen CPUs, the Nintendo Switch/Wii, Playstation 2, Nintendo NES $100 retro cube thing a few years ago, etc.

This happens every single time. Demand outstrips supply. A good portion of what is sold go to scalpers to flip for the first 30-60 days. Supplies eventually catch up as resell price falls, and then people can buy them.

Thought about that for half a minute and checked Ebay for a 1080Ti. $420-460! Crazy demand this year.

Reactions: lightmanek

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Once again, fake news.

TSMC is producing more than ever. In fact, they've gone from around 110K wafers per month earlier this year to 140K+ wafers per month for 7nm. Apple has moved on to 5nm and AMD swooped in to buy the bulk of the available capacity and is now by far the largest customer for the 7nm node. They're producing more than ever but demand is off the charts.

2020 is the year for unexpected demand.
I agree, this is of unexpected demand. The issue is that COVID has been going on since Dec. of last year and the US started closing down in March of this year. Sony had a report saying that supplies were limited and they rebutted and said it didn't. Then you have a high level AMD employee conversing with customers online and acting like it wouldn't be an issue.

That was in September, two months before launch. Can you provide production data from TSMC that shows they ramped up supplies for AMD alone? Or was that an overall number? That would be great to know. It's amazing to say "demand" is at an all time high, but for some reason, everyone here reports metrics from some German retailer that reported they sold a solid 2k. Then another UK retailer said they had back orders of around the same figure. So a total of 4K out of 140k (single month)? Amazon, the worlds largest retaile,r had almost none as far as I've seen. All retailers are out of stock. So you're suggesting that TSMC had a minimum of 6 months to produce this CPU @ 110-100k wafers and no one can find or buy one? Over a million chips, but no one seems to have the good Cpus ODD.

I just find this curious because they should have at least a million chips already produced and now people are saying they will fix the issue by Dec. 2nd???? Somehow, they can fix a production/manufacturing issue in a single month, but they've been producing this for far longer. Promoting them hardcore too! That's a straight up miracle if they can do it, but that's what I've been told multiple times on this forum.

I would have the same complaint about any company. I got way lucky and got an Xbox Series X. I've been trying to get an PS6 and 5900X, but I cannot find them; as well as most people can't. So what do you chalk that up to? Just demand outpacing production?? Seems a bit off.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would have the same complaint about any company. I got way lucky and got an Xbox Series X. I've been trying to get an PS6 and 5900X, but I cannot find them; as well as most people can't. So what do you chalk that up to? Just demand outpacing production?? Seems a bit off.

Demand on the 5900x.

PS6....Chalk that up to production....Maybe engineering?

My 5600x has a production date of 2041 which is Oct 5th-11th....That's kind of crazy!

Last edited:
  • Wow

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
You could? Did you mean to say "I already did!"

View attachment 34380

That's you downvoting me after Noon today in this very thread. Let's not act so innocent here.

Because you were being a pain in everyone's ass. I see why you put up a pic instead of a link. Because on that page alone in four posts you got six downvotes for basically thread crapping. So yes, I downvoted you for being an asshat, not because I don't like you. I didn't lookup 2-3 week old posts made by you and downvote them. Yet here we are still derailing this thread. Just stop. I will not respond off topic anymore.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Demand on the 5900x.

PS6....Chalk that up to production....Maybe engineering?

My 5600x has a production date of 2041 which is Oct 5th-11th....That's kind of crazy!

That is actually reassuring. I know some others said that the non-launch chips were shipped by slow boat, which I don't believe. The issue isn't the 5600x or 5800x. It seems most people do not want those CPUs (no offense, they are good CPUs), but I think most people want those high core high performance chips. Congrats on getting one!

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Because you were being a pain in everyone's ass. I see why you put up a pic instead of a link. Because on that page alone in four posts you got six downvotes for basically thread crapping. So yes, I downvoted you for being an asshat, not because I don't like you. I didn't lookup 2-3 week old posts made by you and downvote them. Yet here we are still derailing this thread. Just stop. I will not respond off topic anymore.
I put a pic because I didn't realize the link would show you posted it. That's my bad.

FYI, some of those "thread crap", which isn't what that means, are from certain people who don't like me to speak my mind. No problem. As I mentioned, I don't care about downvotes. Opinions are opinions. There is nothing that makes one person's opinion more valid than anothers.

But Say "I could have downvoted you" was you trying to act like you hadn't already did it.". Be a man and own up to what you've already done.

Plus, don't tell me to stop. You're the one that responded to a thread from Nov. 13th. Today is the 21st!!! I responded to a thread from you from today. You did look up a post that was 7 days old, sure, it wasn't 2-3 weeks, but that was a joke/exaggeration. You also took the time to downvote me and respond. Yet, I'm the one derailing the thread by talking about the actual topic?

please-talk-to-my-hand.jpg

Now let's get back on topic and move on.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The issue isn't the 5600x or 5800x. It seems most people do not want those CPUs (no offense, they are good CPUs), but I think most people want those high core high performance chips. Congrats on getting one!

The 5800x was up for almost an entire day on amazon this week. The 5900x otoh seems to sell about in about about the round trip ping time of a bot.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I just looked at sold fleabay 5900X/5950X. The 5900X was going for about $1000 and the 5950X more like $1400-1500! :oops:

Some of the titles were just too much. Brand new, 2 days old, NIB, blah blah. I mean at least they admit they're a scalper, but damn. Go earn some real money somehow. I almost wonder if AMD/NVIDIA are thinking about ways from preventing this in the future, or if they think it'll just be a temporary COVID thing.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just looked at sold fleabay 5900X/5950X. The 5900X was going for about $1000 and the 5950X more like $1400-1500! :oops:

Some of the titles were just too much. Brand new, 2 days old, NIB, blah blah. I mean at least they admit they're a scalper, but damn. Go earn some real money somehow. I almost wonder if AMD/NVIDIA are thinking about ways from preventing this in the future, or if they think it'll just be a temporary COVID thing.
When there is money to be made, scalpers/resellers will always find a way to do it.

I guess since I'm not into having the "latest and the greatest" when it comes to computer hardware, the whole doesn't affect me too much. I generally wait a while and upgrade on previous gen stuff when the price is right. Even Intel inventory is pretty spotty this year as well at most retailers. 2020 is just turning out to be a year not to buy a lot of things. I mean even Microsoft Xbox One X and PS4 consoles were selling for $300, when it it wasn't too difficult to buy one for $199.99 anywhere in 2019.

Reactions: prtskg

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
When there is money to be made, scalpers/resellers will always find a way to do it.

I guess since I'm not into having the "latest and the greatest" when it comes to computer hardware, the whole doesn't affect me too much. I generally wait a while and upgrade on previous gen stuff when the price is right. Even Intel inventory is pretty spotty this year as well at most retailers. 2020 is just turning out to be a year not to buy a lot of things. I mean even Microsoft Xbox One X and PS4 consoles were selling for $300, when it it wasn't too difficult to buy one for $199.99 anywhere in 2019.

Yea I get that, when there is a market someone will get into it. This is why I was OK with the $50 price hike so many complained about. AMD could list the 5900X at $300. Supply and demand will correct itself and a price will be found. I'd much rather money go to a tech company than Amazon or a bunch of scalpers. I wish the retailers would care, but why should they care if they get 10 cards worth of money from 10 people or one?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The next shipments the resellers get are already booked of course. You cannot see anything about new shipments by checking the resellers websites, those dates are for orders made today, and not for all orders in their backlog from last week.

It will probably take months before 5000-series is common to see in stock, but there will be continous supply from AMD to the resellers during this time that goes directly to customers.
Love post like this, good for a laugh. "You can't see anything", but I happen to know everything! Let us know if you have any real 5900x info. :)

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
DrMrLordX, it appears that BOTH AMD and Nvidia really did fail to be near demand despite the claims of availability.

At some point I should receive my pre-ordered 5900x (hopefully before the end of the year).

I gave up on trying to snag a new RDNA2 gpu until the cpus clear up.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Thanks for making my point? No one wants the 5800x. Yeah, bots are a horrible invention.
This is combined supply & interest. There were insanely more 5600x available at launch, and also significantly more 5800x sold, than 5900x and 5950x combined. At least based on verified owner review counts. For example, Newegg reviews so far in the 2 weeks since launch:

130 x 5600x
50 x 5800x
13 x 5900x
7 x 5950x

Typically less than 1 in 10 buyers leave reviews, although this may be higher with highly anticipated ryzen launch. Also, the 5800x was the only one rated at 4 eggs instead of 5 eggs supporting point that it is less desired.

Reactions: prtskg

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I think of pretty much any major component in my system, the CPU would be the least likely to get a review. Even something like a PSU has differentiating factors you might want to comment on like the fan or cabling. The CPU is the most commodity piece in there; you pretty much know exactly what you're getting.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Mindfactory had sold 2160 units of the 5600x just 2 days after launch, and that's in a smaller market than the U.S. The number of reviews on Newegg is most likely well under 10% of purchases. That 2160 is more than they've sold of the 10600k total since its release. Also, on Mindfactory, the 5600x had sold just over 2% of the total 3600 sales since it launched. That means the 5600x sold 2% of the 3600 total sales in 2 days versus the 16 months the 3600 has been on sale. Every SKU they launched has been coming in and out of stock at multiple retailers to varying degrees. You can't do all that with a paper launch.

Also, on launch day they showed 1170 5800x sales and 850 5600x sales. When I see people complain about a "paper launch" for Zen 3, this is all I hear.

Last edited: