Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
With all the shortages going on right now, it is crazy.
EPYC Milan cannot ramp, only special customers can get it.
RDNA2 cards barely few thousands if rumors are to be believed.
Ryzen 5K shortages
Console shortages
Design migration to N5 could possible be impacted.
Going for bigger cores is something to be thought through properly.
AMDs revenue is impacted due to lack of wafer supply.

Samsung needs to capitalize on this.

Reactions: IEC

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I clicked on it, showed in stock over 20 minutes after you posted this even though it is out of stock now, so there's that, lol.

I guess they'll be popping up on eBay soon....Dang scalpers!

My not so local Microcenter is showing 1 in stock currently. It's the only 5xxx series showing so I have no idea if they had gotten others in stock and sold out.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I guess they'll be popping up on eBay soon....Dang scalpers!

My not so local Microcenter is showing 1 in stock currently. It's the only 5xxx series showing so I have no idea if they had gotten others in stock and sold out.

If it were 5950X being scalped sure, but who's going to pay even an extra $20 for a 5800X?

From all of the reports we've seen the 5800X were the last to sell out if they weren't still available. Any scalper that bought up a bunch of these is going to have a bad time.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If it were 5950X being scalped sure, but who's going to pay even an extra $20 for a 5800X?

From all of the reports we've seen the 5800X were the last to sell out if they weren't still available. Any scalper that bought up a bunch of these is going to have a bad time.

I frown on scalping, but maybe you should have looked before jumping to conclusions. Go search for 5800x completed listings and you'll see.

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
My friend and I prepared for launch day here in the US. All pages open and accounts logged in. For those that save cc info, it was already there. No matter what, we couldn't get a 5600x or 5900x to checkout. Still can't.
I would call that a paper launch.
1000's of cpu's does not correlate to a launch when there are millions of buyers.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
My friend and I prepared for launch day here in the US. All pages open and accounts logged in. For those that save cc info, it was already there. No matter what, we couldn't get a 5600x or 5900x to checkout. Still can't.
I would call that a paper launch.
1000's of cpu's does not correlate to a launch when there are millions of buyers.

I feel your pain, but I think paper launch term is overused. Back in a day, paper launch was referring to a launch with no stock but reviews going up. Basically, the only product on the market was in hands of press and developers ;)

Reactions: prtskg and Tlh97

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Well, the trouble is that it is LIKE a paper launch for many.

People planning their new builds and drooling over the upcoming processors for weeks of months, now frustrated having nothing. Really really bad.

Other people forced to buy what they did not want.

I bought the stinking overpriced 5800X too, I feel stupid doing that. BTW I found that these processors do not come with the wraith prism cooler anymore for a reason, it cannot cool the Cinebench with PBO activated. It can only barely manage (at 85-87°C) with PBO disabled. It could be fine for a normal operation though.

loveuser

Nov 18, 2020
hi
i want to upgrade my computer but don't know when 4300G or 4600G or 4700G is release for order

anyone know when they are on online store like amazon or ebay ?

please tell me can I buy 3400g for now ? or wait for 4300G or 4600G or 4700G ?

• Haha
Reactions: scineram

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
lol, i'm getting flashbacks of 2007

i think it was the level1techs guys who came up with this: "with the start of covid the demand for toilet paper went up but the production stayed the same. amd isnt supply constrained they are toilet paper constrained." [edit: it was pcworld coining the term toiletpaper launch]

for those who havent been thru this before: first shipment of product goes out by air freight for launch, big container ship arrives a few months later.

nv being the outlier in that they released super early before they had any stockpile built up. and they are probably pulling chips from partners to build up supply for the revised versions with more memory.

Last edited:

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
hi
i want to upgrade my computer but don't know when 4300G or 4600G or 4700G is release for order

anyone know when they are on online store like amazon or ebay ?

please tell me can I buy 3400g for now ? or wait for 4300G or 4600G or 4700G ?
In North America? It seems AMD may never release 4x00G series for sale, OEM only.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I have no interest in paying the early adopter premium after learning my lesson with 1800X and 2700X. I'll wait until I can pay less than MSRP for the CPUs.

Until then my 3950X and 3700X are plenty.

I did pick up an X570 Tomahawk in preparation for a 5000 series CPU though.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think people need to realize that the demand is just insane compared to normal CPU and GPU launches right now. Most of the entire modern world is working from home, or kids going to school from home, or young adults taking classes or meeting up with friends from home, all on computers. Computers that have probably not really been upgraded in years (if you look at the PC sales figures over the last several years). There was no need to upgrade because the systems worked well enough for their use cases. Most people were getting by with their phones for much of their personal needs. But along came this pandemic and now people need computers to do actual work in their homes again. Then need keyboards and displays and microphones and cams to perform presentations and attend video conference calls. They need screen real-estate for having documentation up as well as the presentation that is ongoing. They might need to compile applications, or debug code, or model a design in 3D.

These are things they would typically have done on their work computers and workstations, but for those that needed things more powerful than a laptop, those computers are most likely at their work, but they need something similar at home now in order to work from home. This has created a HUGE demand for new hardware. PCs are not dead as the media had been saying for years looking at PC sales and PC game sales. Quite simply, the issue was that the PCs people had were good enough, and thus they didn't need to upgrade them every 2-3 years like we did back in the 80's through 2000's. PCs became fast enough for most things people did, and having something faster didn't actually improve things enough to justify the new computer unless the old one actually broke. That is why sales had been declining. But with this forced change in what people need to do with their home PCs, we are seeing huge demand in needing to upgrade existing systems (or buy 2 or 3 or 4 for the home because both parents need to use one to work themselves and all the kids need their own to attend their school).

Its also why there are so many people posting in the networking forum asking how to expand their WiFi coverage or extend their networks. The demand is enormous for meeting the computing requirements of working from home, isolating from the rest of the world.

I am just glad I got my sister's home network up and running at the end of last year/early this year. And I am glad I got all the parts to upgrade my own network this year before it got really bad. This also gave me the excuse to finally setup my network with a look to long-term support/upgrade-ability (i.e. I can easily support my connection to my ISP if they ever start offering higher speeds than 1Gbe, like 10Gbe or even 40Gbe, with my core network switch and router supporting that capability).

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I think people need to realize that the demand is just insane compared to normal CPU and GPU launches right now. Most of the entire modern world is working from home, or kids going to school from home, or young adults taking classes or meeting up with friends from home, all on computers.

But they are buying laptops, not desktops. Now it wouldn't surprise me if the issue is more that Microsoft is buying up a ton of Milan for Azure. Matisse supply is still pretty good at this point, and both are coming from the same fab. You would think AMD would have slashed wafer starts on Matisse and Rome because of Zen 3's release.