Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Thank you for posting an article from Nov. 1st with a comment from Sony saying "We think.....".

What are you attempting to quote from that article?

No one said "Waiting for supply to meet demand for these products would be incredibly foolish.".

I said that.

This pandemic has been going on since MARCH. But Sony predicted this and has said so. The two don't correlate.Sony increased orders in July, but now you claim they would be dumb to do so?

No, I said they'd be dumb to wait to launch until they had enough supply to not sell out on launch day or very shortly after (what is being referred to here as a paper launch). They increased production and still sold out instantly. From what I can tell, you are arguing that they should have waited to launch until they had enough supply such that they wouldn't sell out which would have been foolish.

"According to the report, Sony began mass production of PS5 in June and expects to assemble five million units by the end of September".

The unit didn't start production until June. WELL after the pandenic.

And?

"Sony Corp. has cut its estimated PlayStation 5 production for this fiscal year by 4 million units, down to around 11 million, following production issues with its custom-designed system-on-chip for the new console, according to people familiar with the matter."

"The Tokyo-based electronics giant in July boosted orders with suppliers in anticipation of heightened demand for gaming in the holiday season and beyond, as people spend more time at home due to the coronavirus. But the company has come up against manufacturing issues, such as production yields as low as 50% for its SOC, which have cut into its ability to produce as many consoles as it wishes, said the people, who asked to remain anonymous because the deliberations aren’t public. Yields have been gradually improving but have yet to reach a stable level, they added."

Now, Sony denies this. But almost no one can get a PS5. So they were forecast to have 4 million this year and 11 million by the end of the fiscal year. So the 4 million shrank to 2 million due to production issues.

I can make random perditions and be like Sony, if I wanted to.

What are you on about? You're still using the numbers from the Bloomberg article that Sony said are straight up false, unless you can show me where Sony gave hard number predictions for PS5 shipments? All I've seen is that Sony said they plan to outsell the PS4 which sold 7.6 million units in the first 2 quarters.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
You're getting there. Some of you are now realizing the production issues and shortage of products is not due to true "demand", it's do to being on a much smaller manufacturing level and having a 3rd party outsource it. I think this is the problem that both AMD and Sony have hit a wall at. It's beyond their control.

I'd rather be on TSMC 7 nm rather than Intel's 10 nm right now. Such is the state of things right now.

Edit: Also, no one is arguing AMD is not supply constrained. They've admitted as such. That doesn't mean they paper launched the 5000 series though.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
AMD needs to get their stuff together and the next 4 weeks will be very telling. Can they produce these chips as quick as they say? If so, it's not a manufacturing issue, it's a lack of forecasting and knowing what to produce. If the lack of chips goes in to 2021, it's a manufacturing issue. Will be interesting to see.

AMD will have record revenue and margins in 4Q 2020. They are selling everything they can possibly make. Yes, they are supply constrained, does that mean they just don't sell anything for a quarter or two and sit on tens or possibly hundreds of millions worth of inventory because some people on a tech forum will say they should have waited for enough supply to meet unprecedented demand?

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I do not think it is reasonable to expect that a company selling highly desirable product must be able to meet the demand all the time.

On the other hand, I believe that when a little longer period of not meeting the demand occurs, the company should be more frank and opened about what is going on, publish some supply schedule and even some numbers of units already sold or heading to shops. It does not hurt anything. It can only help.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I'd rather be on TSMC 7 nm rather than Intel's 10 nm right now. Such is the state of things right now.

Edit: Also, no one is arguing AMD is not supply constrained. They've admitted as such. That doesn't mean they paper launched the 5000 series though.
Huh? Why are you talking about Intel? No one mentioned their name. I'd rather be on AMD 5000 right now, but no one can buy it and you can buy Intel chips. What's the point and how does that have to do with AMDs inability to fulfill orders?

There's always going to be an excuse. If Intel launches something like this, it's a paper launch. If AMD does the same thing, it's because they have "manufacturing constraints". Let's not compare products and talk about the real issue that AMD screwed the pooch with this launch. Same as Sony did. There is NO excuse for not being able to buy a product after only being available for an hour. They are either trying to manufacture hype or they can't handle their 3rd party manufacturing.

Sure, we can beat Intel in a few games, but good luck actually doing it because you can't buy our product!!!

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Huh? Why are you talking about Intel? No one mentioned their name. I'd rather be on AMD 5000 right now, but no one can buy it and you can buy Intel chips. What's the point and how does that have to do with AMDs inability to fulfill orders?

There's always going to be an excuse. If Intel launches something like this, it's a paper launch. If AMD does the same thing, it's because they have "manufacturing constraints". Let's not compare products and talk about the real issue that AMD screwed the pooch with this launch. Same as Sony did. There is NO excuse for not being able to buy a product after only being available for an hour. They are either trying to manufacture hype or they can't handle their 3rd party manufacturing.

Sure, we can beat Intel in a few games, but good luck actually doing it because you can't buy our product!!!

I mentioned Intel to point out the reality of the situation today. If AMD wasn't on TSMC 7nm, what would be their other option? Samsung 7 nm has had major issues, 10nm/8nm isn't as competitive, and when you look at the competition (Intel) they are in an even worse position in terms of manufacturing and have SKUs that have been impossible to buy for months. So what was AMD's alternative? Sure, it would be great if they were able to produce 2x what they can today but then why stop there, why not 5x, or 10x, or 100x? Because that's not reality. You can say AMD screwed the pooch, but you've given no reasonable alternative except to apparently wait several weeks/months to build inventory and lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars in sales.

AMD is ramping up supply as much as they can but they can't ramp to 100x instantaneously.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
... AMD is ramping up supply as much as they can ...
I do not think AMD can do such thing, because everything is planned and capacity booked months ahead.
They know what is coming and when and they planned the realease date within this delivery plan.
I believe they did it in such way they actually had some sizeable stock to sell at the time of the release.

The trouble now is that the initial stock is depleted and customers want to know, what will follow, and AMD says nothing.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I do not think AMD can do such thing, because everything is planned and capacity booked months ahead.
They know what is coming and when and they planned the realease date within this delivery plan.
I believe they did it in such way they actually had some sizeable stock to sell at the time of the release.

The trouble now is that the initial stock is depleted and customers want to know, what will follow, and AMD says nothing.

They do have to book months in advance and they have been upping their orders as much as possible for months now and working with TSMC to secure any additional capacity that might shake free over time.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
This statement told me everything I needed to know about your thoughts on this topic. Why do people who have no clue what they are talking about bang the table and shout like they know what they are talking about?
Buying tickets to a game or concert must be incredibly stressful.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I mentioned Intel to point out the reality of the situation today. If AMD wasn't on TSMC 7nm, what would be their other option? Samsung 7 nm has had major issues, 10nm/8nm isn't as competitive, and when you look at the competition (Intel) they are in an even worse position in terms of manufacturing and have SKUs that have been impossible to buy for months. So what was AMD's alternative? Sure, it would be great if they were able to produce 2x what they can today but then why stop there, why not 5x, or 10x, or 100x? Because that's not reality. You can say AMD screwed the pooch, but you've given no reasonable alternative except to apparently wait several weeks/months to build inventory and lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars in sales.

AMD is ramping up supply as much as they can but they can't ramp to 100x instantaneously.

"If AMD wasn't on TSMC 7nm, what would be their other option?" This is an ignorant question. They have a manufacture and they are promoting their product. Are we supposed to make weird/wild "what if" situations? What if you waited until 1Q for the Intel chips and they blow away the AMD cpus

Sorry, having been in marketing for 20+ years, I don't feel sorry for a company who promotes a product that they cannot even manufacture (or have someone manufacture) and are having supply issues. I won't compare to Samsung or anyone else. This isn't a "omg he did it too!" situation. AMD promoted this as the "best" CPU ever. It's funny because I can go find similar threads where some of the same people complained that Intel had "paper launches", but AMD can do no wrong.

Sorry, AMD and Sony screwed the pooch with their launches.

I don't need to give alternative expectations. I do not manage AMD and you would have to ask them why they cannot supply the CPUs to even their most loyal customer. That is not my job. But, as a consumer, AMD and Sony BOTH had a horrible launch with almost no availability.

Something to think about? Intel still has 80% of the market for desktop CPU. Can you explain why wouldn't AMD try to flood the market with their "far superior" cpus??? Hell, I'm trying to get one and can't!.

AMD isn't ramping up supplies, TSCM is.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
This statement told me everything I needed to know about your thoughts on this topic. Why do people who have no clue what they are talking about bang the table and shout like they know what they are talking about?
Aww, poor guy. There are tons of articles and threads talking about this very issue. But you know everything. Doesn't matter that Bloomberg, even stated they cut production by half!". I mean, you have for more credibility than Bloomberg and all of the reporters.

Bang the table all you want and say everyone is a liar. Sounds like Trump, lol.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
"If AMD wasn't on TSMC 7nm, what would be their other option?" This is an ignorant question. They have a manufacture and they are promoting their product. Are we supposed to make weird/wild "what if" situations? What if you waited until 1Q for the Intel chips and they blow away the AMD cpus

Sorry, having been in marketing for 20+ years, I don't feel sorry for a company who promotes a product that they cannot even manufacture (or have someone manufacture) and are having supply issues. I won't compare to Samsung or anyone else. This isn't a "omg he did it too!" situation. AMD promoted this as the "best" CPU ever. It's funny because I can go find similar threads where some of the same people complained that Intel had "paper launches", but AMD can do no wrong.

Sorry, AMD and Sony screwed the pooch with their launches.

I don't need to give alternative expectations. I do not manage AMD and you would have to ask them why they cannot supply the CPUs to even their most loyal customer. That is not my job. But, as a consumer, AMD and Sony BOTH had a horrible launch with almost no availability.

Something to think about? Intel still has 80% of the market for desktop CPU. Can you explain why wouldn't AMD try to flood the market with their "far superior" cpus??? Hell, I'm trying to get one and can't!.

AMD isn't ramping up supplies, TSCM is.

So you want to complain and call out AMD and Sony but have no clue what they could do different? So you're complaining just to complain, got it.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Buying tickets to a game or concert must be incredibly stressful.
You know, I thought about that, problem is, I've never had a problem getting tickets to a concert. Doesn't matter where they are, but I can get them. There is a very distinct difference. Ticketmaster holds tickets and you can get them via your CC or other means. Plus, the ration their tickets and release segments every week or two.

That is NOT what is happening here. This isn't a one time event. This isn't a one and done. AMD could sell the CPUs at any point for varying price points and make money, regardless if it's launch day or not.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
LOL, that's a bit of a reach.

But it's funny you think we should "do the math". That's EXACTLY what AMD should have been doing on supply/demand issues. Obviously they didn't thought and we shall see if we have more in early Dec in more significant numbers. Otherwise, it's a paper launch.
'
Paper Launch = "There should be more averrable if you buy a bundle at inflated prices in "a few months". Or we can get "promotional pricing"?? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Saying it needs to be bundled, or we can get "promotional pricing" at the same time? Promo pricing is generally lower than MSRP and it's to entice customers to buy their product.

You may not be in a rush, but it's fairly easy to see this, maybe not a 100% paper launch, is not a full launch.

Oddly enough, Sony is having serious issues with supplies. Those CPUs are also manufactured by TSCM. There was a bloomberg article that Sony had to cut it's PS4 product in half due to supply issues with the CPU. Could this be an all around issue with TSCM not being to manufacture CPUS in mass? Obviously, long term, it's something they can ramp up and fix, but it's odd that both products simply have no suppy. It's nice to say "it'll be available in a month". but that gives them time to produce more and trickle in to the supply chain.

Food for thought.

Your Bloomberg "article" is literally fake news. Sony has come out and flat out refuted the central premise. Even the original Bloomberg article was updated with the following statement:
After initially declining to comment, Sony released a statement on Wednesday denying the Bloomberg News report. “We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production,” the company said.

Likewise, your argument for "paper launch" is also fake news.

Mindfactory explains:
Mindfactory said:
Damn, what a CRAZY day!
This was the best CPU launch EVER, EVER, EVER.
Within two hours we sold thousands of CPUs. We are aware that not everyone could get a CPU. Rest assured that we will be replenishing stock and try to provide you all with the brand new Ryzen. We ask for your understanding. You guys are just amazing

It's not just CPUs, a LOT of consumer electronics devices are in extreme demand right now.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
They’ve been popping up today on Newegg but with combos. And then selling out extremely fast like within a minute. Bots are snatching up AMD 5000-series CPUs, Nvidia 3000-series GPUs, PS5s and XBOX series consoles. It’s ridiculous.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
@LikeLinus
As a BRIEF follow-up.
1. Most B&M stores that sell processors had inventory for many HOURS after launch. My local microcenter had 10+ inventory for hours as one example. Forum posts throughout the internet support this. How quickly we forget how it used to be with the advent of e-commerce.

2. No amount of planning and forecasting will magically make 7nm TSMC capacity grow. If it was so easy to increase capacity at a certain node Intel would have done it already don't you think? Finite capacity plus heavy use of this capacity for a variety of new products being released with high demand at exactly the same time...it's actually remarkable that there ARE chips to be found.

3. Ignoring the reality of bots/scalpers snatching up inventory (meaning there WAS inventory but its still just as unavailable) is not helping your case either.

4. I scoffed at your statement, not to blow you off without evidence (plenty of people have provided evidence anyway) but because YOUR statement was ridiculous simply on its own merits. The Bloomburg article could be true (its not), this could actually be a paper launch (its not), people could easily obtain these chips (also not true). But "there is NO excuse to not have plenty of inventory for everyone" is the start of a clearly irrational hyperbolic statement.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Haven't been able to find squat. Anyone have an idea how often they turn up on newegg?

It will likely be like every other Zen launch so far. Every day or two briefly in stock trickled out in small quantities from the airmail deliveries until the slow boat arrives from Asia with adequate stock 1-2 months later.

skline

Sep 9, 2009
If this roll out of the Ryzen 5000 series is any indicator of AMD’s capacity to have stock, God help us when the 18th of November comes with the Radeon 6800 release!
Gosh I still remember the Cabagge Patch doll debacle.