Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
There should be large influx of new stock (worldwide) in 2nd week of December. I know it sucks to be waiting for a full month+ but that is the price of a huge demand.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
"Back in September, Azor replied to a Tweet taunt suggesting that AMD's upcoming products would be 'paper launches' similar to the Ampere GeForce graphics cards. Azor publically accepted a $10 wager, assuring many that any upcoming AMD products would be available to buy without too much effort."

Sounds like Azor owes someone $10 dollars! Sure, he can try to claim "demand" as the issue, but then you're admitting you either 1. Do not think highly enough of your product to make available enough products to supply said demand. or 2. You simply lack the ability to correctly determine the demand and to ramp up products.

Either way, you're a bit of an idiot to make a bet and claim "buy without too much effort". Azor owe the guy $10.

Did any US retailers provide pre-orders? All I keep seeing is a few stores in the EU, but nothing about the actual demand here in the states or pre-orders. I would have pre-ordered, but I never saw anywhere that had that. I was surprised Amazon didn't even get any in the first place. I think that points more towards lack of actual stock on AMD part. Sort of a paper launch if no one has it. Hopefully they will get stock on Dec. 2nd, but we shall see. I mean they now have at least a general idea of demand now. Make it happen AMD.

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
"Back in September, Azor replied to a Tweet taunt suggesting that AMD's upcoming products would be 'paper launches' similar to the Ampere GeForce graphics cards. Azor publically accepted a $10 wager, assuring many that any upcoming AMD products would be available to buy without too much effort."

Sounds like Azor owes someone $10 dollars! Sure, he can try to claim "demand" as the issue, but then you're admitting you either 1. Do not think highly enough of your product to make available enough products to supply said demand. or 2. You simply lack the ability to correctly determine the demand and to ramp up products.

Either way, you're a bit of an idiot to make a bet and claim "buy without too much effort". Azor owe the guy $10.

Did any US retailers provide pre-orders? All I keep seeing is a few stores in the EU, but nothing about the actual demand here in the states or pre-orders. I would have pre-ordered, but I never saw anywhere that had that. I was surprised Amazon didn't even get any in the first place. I think that points more towards lack of actual stock on AMD part. Sort of a paper launch if no one has it. Hopefully they will get stock on Dec. 2nd, but we shall see. I mean they now have at least a general idea of demand now. Make it happen AMD.

Seems like quotes are being attributed to Azor that he never said. . .

Reactions: Martimus

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Not sure, I didn't go through and read his text and response to articles or tweets

From everything I've seen, Frank just said that they wouldn't be paper launching anything this year. The 5000 series wasn't paper launched, so what he said is true for what has launched so far. People took his no paper launch comment and interpreted it to mean that they wouldn't sell out at launch, which is a silly way to interpret that comment.

Reactions: KompuKare

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Then why would you make the " Sounds like Azor owes someone $10 dollars! " comment?
Because it does feel like a paper launch in a lot of ways? Day 1 lack of inventory. Call it an opinion. Hopefully they fix the supply issue by Dec. 2nd as Hitman suggested. It's just weird they can ramp up and fix the supply issue in a matter of weeks, but they've been prepping for this launch for much longer.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
There is new stock coming in 2 days in UK ... don't know how many but at least CCL and Overclockers confirmed that.
Poland is getting load of 5900X and 5950X in 1 to 2 weeks time, but lower SKU's are a bit later.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
There is new stock coming in 2 days in UK ... don't know how many but at least CCL and Overclockers confirmed that.
Poland is getting load of 5900X and 5950X in 1 to 2 weeks time, but lower SKU's are a bit later.
So why is there so much information about EU stock and delivery? I can't find anything on US stock and I've been trying to get a 5900X for the past few days. I've only looked at the major retailers like B&H, Newegg, Amazon and the such, but it's been dead and no new info.

I figured, screw it, and started looking for the 5950X hoping the price would deter more people and be available somewhere, but I've had no luck.

EDIT: Xbox Series X will be here today. Consolation price??? lol

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
So why is there so much information about EU stock and delivery? I can't find anything on US stock and I've been trying to get a 5900X for the past few days. I've only looked at the major retailers like B&H, Newegg, Amazon and the such, but it's been dead and no new info.

I figured, screw it, and started looking for the 5950X hoping the price would deter more people and be available somewhere, but I've had no luck.

EDIT: Xbox Series X will be here today. Consolation price??? lol

EU retailers are typically a lot more transparent in terms of stock. Heck, Mindfactory publishes their sales data right on their store page.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
This was in a lot of cases not "day1 lack of inventory", but "minute1 lack of inventory".

Mindfactory said they didn't sell out for 2 hours. I've seen lots of reports of people getting CPUs 30+ minutes after products went live. That obviously won't apply everywhere and the national online stores were probably the hardest to get a CPU from as everyone has easy access to them.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
EU retailers are typically a lot more transparent in terms of stock. Heck, Mindfactory publishes their sales data right on their store page.

US is hit or miss for that sort of thing. That's a real shame. I just hope they can get some in the states soon for sale.

The plan is to pick up a 5900x or 5950x. I purchased a Phanteks P600S case a few weeks ago. Currently it is running a 9900K for my editing machine for WFH. But the P600S will actually house an ATX system AND a Mini ITX system. So I'm going to move the 9900K to the mini ITX position with a 240 AIO and then run the 5900/5950X as the primary ATX solution. Then use RenderGarden and I'll have both the 59XXX and 9900K be able to render AE projects at the same time with a crapload of horsepower in one computer.

The nice thing about the Phantek PSU (1200w) is that you can run/power each system separate in one mid-tower ATX case. If that's enough power, it can run multiple PSUs.

I purchased several 2TB SSD, NVME and other parts for this project. Now it's just a waiting game, lol.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Mindfactory said they didn't sell out for 2 hours. I've seen lots of reports of people getting CPUs 30+ minutes after products went live. That obviously won't apply everywhere and the national online stores were probably the hardest to get a CPU from as everyone has easy access to them.
I see Mindfactory quoted a lot. I guess my issue is they are a retailer and marking is huge to them. Also, there was no breakdown in the CPUs they were selling. Selling something 30 mins later does not mean they were on the floor or available for 30 mins. A lot of retailers hold things in the back top keep customers coming in and asking for product. It's the trickle effect. You keep a flow going, even slowly, and the word-of-mouth will keep people coming with the hope they may buy something else while there. Retail isn't what I'd call completely "trustworthy".

At least the other retailers in the EU were saying what they had on Pre-Order. Mindfactory just said "we sold thousands. congrats!". That could be 1500 5900X and 500 SKUs split between the other CPUs. There was no real data provided or a breakdown in what was actually sold.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I see Mindfactory quoted a lot. I guess my issue is they are a retailer and marking is huge to them. Also, there was no breakdown in the CPUs they were selling. Selling something 30 mins later does not mean they were on the floor or available for 30 mins. A lot of retailers hold things in the back top keep customers coming in and asking for product. It's the trickle effect. You keep a flow going, even slowly, and the word-of-mouth will keep people coming with the hope they may buy something else while there. Retail isn't what I'd call completely "trustworthy".

At least the other retailers in the EU were saying what they had on Pre-Order. Mindfactory just said "we sold thousands. congrats!". That could be 1500 5900X and 500 SKUs split between the other CPUs. There was no real data provided or a breakdown in what was actually sold.

I believe Mindfactory is just an online store, so 2 hours was 2 hours.

Yes, we don't know the breakdown of the thousands, but thousands of units at 1 retailer on launch day in a EU retailer (the largest in Germany from what I understand) is still pretty good. Those are not paper launch numbers. When the 3080 launched, some retail locations in the U.S. reported available numbers in the teens. Proshop only shared their preorder amounts, but they might shortly share their fulfilled preorder numbers as well as they did with the Ampere cards.

Reactions: Tlh97

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Well BH just sent out their emails saying they allowed too many backorders. I pretty much knew that it was going to happen, but still feel a little salty that they continue the practice. At this point I'm tempted just to grab one on Ebay and be done with it.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I believe Mindfactory is just an online store, so 2 hours was 2 hours.

Yes, we don't know the breakdown of the thousands, but thousands of units at 1 retailer on launch day in a EU retailer (the largest in Germany from what I understand) is still pretty good. Those are not paper launch numbers. When the 3080 launched, some retail locations in the U.S. reported available numbers in the teens. Proshop only shared their preorder amounts, but they might shortly share their fulfilled preorder numbers as well as they did with the Ampere cards.
I understand your argument, I do. The issue is that Mindfactory post "data" and makes marketing comments all the time. One of the biggest retailers in the word, Amazon, apparently had almost or no stock? MF is almost an insignificant player in the global market vs retail and OEM as a whole.

So, if you are AMD, do you send it to someone who will promote your product or a vendor who doesn't promote?

The word "Paper Launch" shouldn't be taken so seriously that it means they said here is product vs here is product we have none. Honestly, maybe "paper launch" isn't the best word, but I don't have a better term.

The fact that AMD, as an American company, looks to have sold far more in the EU than their home country, is a bit weird! The fact that none of the retailers in their home country have anything to sell or promote data? Yet a single retailer in Germany is consider "the word" ? Hmmmm..... To be honest, they are blip on the map. I said that long ago, but you know how these forums are. I've been hate on by advocating both and being an advocate for all.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Well BH just sent out their emails saying they allowed too many backorders. I pretty much knew that it was going to happen, but still feel a little salty that they continue the practice. At this point I'm tempted just to grab one on Ebay and be done with it.

So that begs the question. Did they "allow" too many to be backordered? I mean, according to an AMD employee, it was not a paper launch and they are far more chips coming. Now a retailer is essentially saying they won't have enough chips based on what AMD can supply???

He is the one that posted "Reminder that tomorrow is @AMDRyzen 5000 series availability day!". Available to almost no one!

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I understand your argument, I do. The issue is that Mindfactory post "data" and makes marketing comments all the time. One of the biggest retailers in the word, Amazon, apparently had almost or no stock? MF is almost an insignificant player in the global market vs retail and OEM as a whole.

So, if you are AMD, do you send it to someone who will promote your product or a vendor who doesn't promote?

The word "Paper Launch" shouldn't be taken so seriously that it means they said here is product vs here is product we have none. Honestly, maybe "paper launch" isn't the best word, but I don't have a better term.

The fact that AMD, as an American company, looks to have sold far more in the EU than their home country, is a bit weird! The fact that none of the retailers in their home country have anything to sell or promote data? Yet a single retailer in Germany is consider "the word" ? Hmmmm..... To be honest, they are blip on the map. I said that long ago, but you know how these forums are. I've been hate on by advocating both and being an advocate for all.

Amazon has the 5600x as the #1 selling CPU right now with the 5900x in the top 10 and the 5950x in the top 20 so they obviously had stock. The U.S. is a much bigger market for electronics than Germany, so the demand will be much higher on launch day and things will sell out faster, even if the U.S. had more stock.

The term paper launch is nebulous but has been abused. It originally meant launching will little to no units available. The 5000 series inventory was always going to sell out quickly on launch day if anyone has been paying attention to the market this year. The question will be how quickly they can get new stock in and at what numbers. The Ampere cards have continued to have low numbers 2 months after launch. I expect much better restocking numbers for Zen3.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
So that begs the question. Did they "allow" too many to be backordered? I mean, according to an AMD employee, it was not a paper launch and they are far more chips coming. Now a retailer is essentially saying they won't have enough chips based on what AMD can supply???

He is the one that posted "Reminder that tomorrow is @AMDRyzen 5000 series availability day!". Available to almost no one!

Usually too many backorders happen either because a human put in the wrong supply limit, or the demand is so high that the system can't quite keep up and more orders end up getting through before the website can update. Both are possible here.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Yep, got the email too. Cancelled the backorder and I'll just wait it out. I'm not playing the F5 mashing game or giving a dime to scalpers.

PJVol

May 25, 2020
Idk what amd employee think of this, but for me as a customer, this is definitely a paper launch as not a single retailer here in my country even had initial shipments, i.e. stock on 5.11

Reactions: the901

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Amazon has the 5600x as the #1 selling CPU right now with the 5900x in the top 10 and the 5950x in the top 20 so they obviously had stock. The U.S. is a much bigger market for electronics than Germany, so the demand will be much higher on launch day and things will sell out faster, even if the U.S. had more stock.

The term paper launch is nebulous but has been abused. It originally meant launching will little to no units available. The 5000 series inventory was always going to sell out quickly on launch day if anyone has been paying attention to the market this year. The question will be how quickly they can get new stock in and at what numbers. The Ampere cards have continued to have low numbers 2 months after launch. I expect much better restocking numbers for Zen3.

Sorry, but I think a lot of people also know that Amazon's top list are NOT according to sales. Do you believe over the past week that the 5600x has outsold any other CPU that Amazon sales? There have been many post that Amazon received very limited or almost no skus. Does that raise a flag and make you realize that Amazon may use that to drive traffic or sales of other items? Again, marketing.

"The 5000 series inventory was always going to sell out quickly on launch day"

Right, but AMD is also saying they are going to fix everything in a couple of weeks? They don't even produce their own product. But you think they will all the sudden fix all supply issues in the next couple of weeks, yet they had months to actually have a stock pile of CPUs and their huge vendors in the EU sold out a "thousands".?

So AMD was not "if anyone has been paying attention to the market this year."???

Sounds like you are twisting every point to make AMD look good. They knew they weren't supposed to make as many. They can fix it in 2-3 weeks? Everyone else was paying attention to the market, except AMD? They always expected it to sell out on launch day in an hour?

What you are telling us is that a company who doesn't actually manufacture their own product, has the inability to determine actual demand and they totally expected to sell out of everything in an hour and to leave their customers in a lurch? Not to mention they raise prices and their vendors and ebay have done so even higher than MSRP.

charlesg

Apr 28, 2017
What you are telling us is that a company who doesn't actually manufacture their own product, has the inability to determine actual demand and they totally expected to sell out of everything in an hour and to leave their customers in a lurch? Not to mention they raise prices and their vendors and ebay have done so even higher than MSRP.

Ugh, I hadn't thought that places like NewEgg may be jacking up prices because of this. But it stands to reason! :(

It could be a while before I get my 5950x I guess.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
The best desktop CPU ever.

The highest demand for PC parts in recent memory.

You do the math. There will be plenty available with bundle discounts or promotional pricing within a few months of launch just like each previous Zen launch before it. I'm in no rush.