AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 115 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Removing case screens may increase your airflow, but you will have clogged CPU cooler fins and dirt covered fan blades real fast.

More cleaning - or - less cleaning ... up to you.

You think after all that attention to detail and money spent on this, i would suddenly forget that? :) Never in my life and 14 years of computer building have i had to use filters and never once had a fan seize on me. I always clean my computer and even more so now as i would consider it disrespectful NOT to given its a extension and tool of my "practices". I don't believe in restrictions and already looking at getting a dremel tool to remove the front metal plate that holds 140mm fans/radiators in place quite a bit of metal blocking at least 10% of the airflow of those front 200mm fans.

Edit: i may toss two of these in the front over removing front metal plate then install one in the rear. Computer would double up as a flight simulator after doing this though.

Last edited:

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
You think after all that attention to detail and money spent on this, i would suddenly forget that? :) Never in my life and 14 years of computer building have i had to use filters and never once had a fan seize on me. I always clean my computer and even more so now as i would consider it disrespectful NOT to given its a extension and tool of my "practices". I don't believe in restrictions and already looking at getting a dremel tool to remove the front metal plate that holds 140mm fans/radiators in place quite a bit of metal blocking at least 10% of the airflow of those front 200mm fans.

Edit: i may toss two of these in the front over removing front metal plate then install one in the rear. Computer would double up as a flight simulator after doing this though.

Think of it like the air filter on your car. Restriction or not you would go without that right? Just make up for it with a better fan or more fans.

For me, I have three cats and its amazing how fast cat fur gets in there. And yes, once back in the day I did have cat fur plug up a system to the point where a CPU fan stopped spinning. This was a K6-3 OC'd from 400 Mhz to 600 Mhz which tells you it was a lot further back than 14 years:) But I've used filters ever since.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Think of it like the air filter on your car. Restriction or not you would go without that right? Just make up for it with a better fan or more fans.

For me, I have three cats and its amazing how fast cat fur gets in there. And yes, once back in the day I did have cat fur plug up a system to the point where a CPU fan stopped spinning. This was a K6-3 OC'd from 400 Mhz to 600 Mhz which tells you it was a lot further back than 14 years:) But I've used filters ever since.
Surely your filters will be getting constantly gunked up?

I've largely given up on the idea of filters and will just use compressed air on my computer every couple of months.

Even without filters, I want to run my fans just below the point where noise is an issue, with filters, noise then becomes to me, a bigger problem than dealing with no filters.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Think of it like the air filter on your car. Restriction or not you would go without that right?

Oh i got a story for you, my friend used my 2007 purchased 8800gts 512mb from like 2008 till 2010 when she gets a upgrade to a 1gb XFX 5770. She complained the system would run very loud with the 8800gts and the games would act weird. I decide it prob needs a cleaning and i clean it. Made no difference. I then take it apart to find the heatsink is COMPLETELY caked in nicotine as she was a avid smoker. I spent a good bit of time cleaning it and well after that it ran as good as new. Lived a few more years in a Celeron Emachines till some woman about blew up that computer taking the 8800gts with it.:cry:

As far as a car not having a filter i would only make one exception and its for this besides this well its always gonna have a filter. Just change the oil a bit more often and you should be fine with this set up!I got 3 cats too but they don't come in my room.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I got some system crashes very suddenly so i bumped up the voltage to 1.4v in hopes of it fixing this crash even if i got XMP enabled cause of this random ass system crash.

Its pointing towards memory or system corruption and cause i made the fatal mistake of pausing updates for a bit instead of bowing down to the overlords at MS and waiting a eternity for them to finish on a fresh format now this piece of junk os is broken beyond repair. I downloaded and "rebooted" to install this 1903 about 5 times its simply not gonna happen unless i get Bill Murray to stop dicking around with gopher holes and come over here and help me troubleshoot this.

Will do fresh install of W10 again with ALL updates on the nvme i just ordered hopefully by Friday, with luck the voltage bump fixes the crashes then i could bow down to the overlords at Microsoft and on the next install of W10 let that thing take its ever loving sweet time updating. This is the one time i didn't do this as i was excited to get up and running but geez give me a break here.

I hear that despite QVL and XMP profiles being set, that can mean absolutely jack. Not sure how the memory is lacking on QVL in the as is state if i have to sit here dealing with crashes. Its to stupid. I went OUT of my way to find QVL memory, i didn't buy random ass memory and figure it would work.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I got some system crashes very suddenly so i bumped up the voltage to 1.4v in hopes of it fixing this crash even if i got XMP enabled cause of this random ass system crash.

Its pointing towards memory or system corruption and cause i made the fatal mistake of pausing updates for a bit instead of bowing down to the overlords at MS and waiting a eternity for them to finish on a fresh format now this piece of junk os is broken beyond repair. I downloaded and "rebooted" to install this 1903 about 5 times its simply not gonna happen unless i get Bill Murray to stop dicking around with gopher holes and come over here and help me troubleshoot this.

Will do fresh install of W10 again with ALL updates on the nvme i just ordered hopefully by Friday, with luck the voltage bump fixes the crashes then i could bow down to the overlords at Microsoft and on the next install of W10 let that thing take its ever loving sweet time updating. This is the one time i didn't do this as i was excited to get up and running but geez give me a break here.

I hear that despite QVL and XMP profiles being set, that can mean absolutely jack. Not sure how the memory is lacking on QVL in the as is state if i have to sit here dealing with crashes. Its to stupid. I went OUT of my way to find QVL memory, i didn't buy random ass memory and figure it would work.
Well, two things.
1. If you are still using PBO, forget about it. It just causes problems, IMHO.
2. Did you try running a memtest program on your system (there are ones for windows and better ones that run off a USB as a boot drive)?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I try to use 1.375....
Well, two things.
1. If you are still using PBO, forget about it. It just causes problems, IMHO.
2. Did you try running a memtest program on your system (there are ones for windows and better ones that run off a USB as a boot drive)?

Nope, never went outside of default profile or Eco. I heard to much about PBO being a mess to even consider . I do know i am on the right track with the memory cause some time ago i did a cinebench r20 run i got a 6998 twice in a row. I then applied 1.4v out of frustration and suddenly i got 7098 on the first go. On stock cooler i hit 80-81cel and i hit 3.91ghz- 3.96ghz fully loaded. I only noticed the crashes once i went full ham running WCG on full tilt and it LOVES ram. So much so i got a 4x 16gb cl17 kit on the way to replace the 2x 8gb kit.

I will run memtest if i crash once more after the format in case of corruption, but i will try what others said and go with 1.375. Thanks guys for the suggestions. :) Was a bit flustered as i was about to head out the door to go out of town and BOOM i had that crash like the bunch before that even had me removing my soundblaster. Ironically the non stop crashing quite so it could have been a 2 in 1 thing perhaps. I googled up the deal and it was hardware/os corruption so i applied the voltage and hoped for the best then left.

Came back to a fully function desktop but i done this many a time till i get that surprise crash. Thanks again guys for the 1.375v suggestion. :) Not exactly happy about having to apply anything not QVL but apparently with Ryzen shes a picky girl.

Edit:Bios goes up in increments of 10 so i applied 1.38v instead of 1.37v.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I only noticed the crashes once i went full ham running WCG on full tilt and it LOVES ram
Upping Vcore wouldn't have fixed RAM problems, but if WCG is really heavy on AVX/AVX2 loads, then the extra voltage may have helped. I ran into some problems with F@H because of the heavy AVX usage (I had to increase the number of threads running to decrease the boost clocks in my case).

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Upping Vcore wouldn't have fixed RAM problems, but if WCG is really heavy on AVX/AVX2 loads, then the extra voltage may have helped. I ran into some problems with F@H because of the heavy AVX usage (I had to increase the number of threads running to decrease the boost clocks in my case).

I did crash a few times i guess on boot up, i assume something pulled mass resources then POOF i was greeted with a beautiful blue screen with numbers counting down like it was a Europe-Final Countdown Music video.

I wouldn't know to much about AVX/AX2 loads and i know half of you people only wish you could astral project or something and smack me through my monitor, but simple gamer turned folder here.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I did crash a few times i guess on boot up, i assume something pulled mass resources then POOF i was greeted with a beautiful blue screen with numbers counting down like it was a Europe-Final Countdown Music video.

I wouldn't know to much about AVX/AX2 loads and i know half of you people only wish you could astral project or something and smack me through my monitor, but simple gamer turned folder here.
Wait.... The 1.375 is not CPU vcore, its memory voltage. CPU should be STOCK/left alone. You should not even need llc. Just up the memory voltage from default bios (and memory speed or the memory profile)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just wanted to point out that the default LLC operation on some x570 boards seems a bit off. Auto LLC on my Aorus Master was not exactly desirable. I got better results turning it all the way down to its lowest setting.
I keep forgetting that I have the Taichi. Works like a dream. @mopardude87 , listen this this many about llc if you have his motherboard.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I keep forgetting that I have the Taichi. Works like a dream. @mopardude87 , listen this this many about llc if you have his motherboard.

It was at auto when i got got it, i started crashing a bunch then i applied that high setting. I crashed again and skipped Turbo for Extreme where it crashed right at desktop. I yanked out the soundblaster as first step in the process of elimination and was sure it was the fix. I took out the soundblaster like last night and felt good right till it just happened once more from the earlier post. I then applied the 1.4v adjustment and haven't dealt with anything. Adjusted voltage to 1.38 and still doing good.

I could put it to normal then and i will keep the 1.38v mem.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I had a typo. In my absence, listen to this MAN !

Actually i remember having it set to normal cause of his advice, i had a series of issues and i reset the bios. I forgot to set it back to normal and i guess auto goes past that. I should have remembered cause my 7700k was like this but had to be set to high. Cause of that the second i started crashing i associated it with the 7700k. Set it to high and you know the rest. I pulled the soundblaster and we go from there.

You prob would have thought i would have picked up on the pattern of increased voltage=more crashing. I would have but with Intel stuff more voltage usually means more stability just hotter temps. Odd fix for sure but Ryzen is a odd beast.

Thanks guys :)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Normally raising voltage won't bring instability, though it can raise temperatures. If your cooling isn't top-notch, you will get hotspot temps going out of control quickly.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Normally raising voltage won't bring instability, though it can raise temperatures. If your cooling isn't top-notch, you will get hotspot temps going out of control quickly.

Since i went down going back to Normal LLC, i doubt i will see a higher temp then the 81cel i saw yesterday. Yeah idk why a higher voltage would cause these issues but i wouldn't have thought about it. To used to how Intel chips work i guess. Since the tweaks, no issues at all. The one time i never overclock cause i value stability over all else, i up the voltage and make more issues. :D

Felt very much like a twilight zone episode i could see Rod Serling walking into the room now.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah those tweaks must have fixed the crashing, i even reinstalled my soundblaster AE-5 which i honestly did miss without any issues :) Nothing makes my music as awesome, well besides a bit of the green.

Thanks again DrMrLordX for the suggestions on LLC. Your the best dude. :)

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Word. Enjoy the CPU.

You bet, i just played a bit of Skyrim for the first time and setting WCG to 50% cpu load, i never went past 60% in the game. :) Despite the little quirks, for the time i stand by the statement of this cpu has officially become my favorite EVER. I could fold and game at the same time without missing a beat and that was its intended purpose. No longer have to choose if i wanna do one or the other.

The best part is how i am still thermally throttled and with the new cooler performance will only increase. Such a legend of a cpu, certainly will not be forgotten i think for many.