AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Maybe i could tweak something that MAY allow more juice for higher boost or is that 145w thermal limit all we get?

PBO is the way to do that. It never seems to work right, at least not for me. You can try reading up on other people's efforts to improve PBO performance, but it is effectively overclocking the CPU, and you have to tweak a lot of settings for marginal results.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
PBO is the way to do that. It never seems to work right, at least not for me. You can try reading up on other people's efforts to improve PBO performance, but it is effectively overclocking the CPU, and you have to tweak a lot of settings for marginal results.

Yeah i prob won't bother, set up XMP perhaps then make sure its running at the correct stock voltage.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Works for me I can go all the way to 4.5 all cores if I want but it takes way too much voltage so I settled on 4.25. It goes there and stays there (edit - loaded of course) all cores. I used these settings should work on any X570
8:00 into the vid in case the link doesn't work. Do NOT do the above on a lower end motherboard with iffy VRMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear and Makaveli

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Worked great for me what motherboard do you have?

x570 Aorus Master. I'm on 1.0.0.3ABBA with similarly-dated chipset drivers as well. Most 3900x owners reported loss of performance updating to newer AGESA/chipset drivers so I haven't budged to anything newer.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Worked great for me what motherboard do you have?

I used the PBO settings from this video also and I got an improvement in single threaded scores haven't checked multithreaded workload yet. After the change my boost hit 4.5Ghz more consistently than before it.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
x570 Aorus Master. I'm on 1.0.0.3ABBA with similarly-dated chipset drivers as well. Most 3900x owners reported loss of performance updating to newer AGESA/chipset drivers so I haven't budged to anything newer.

Yeah i got plans for the Aorus Elite wifi which i assume is gonna be the same deal, good need to know information thanks. :) Still sorta tempted by the idea of a 3950x. Ugh i may lose sleep over picking the right cpu ha.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yeah i got plans for the Aorus Elite wifi which i assume is gonna be the same deal, good need to know information thanks. :) Still sorta tempted by the idea of a 3950x. Ugh i may lose sleep over picking the right cpu ha.
Here is the deal. If you get the 3950x, count on at a minimum, a 280mm AIO, and some case are hard to fit those. Otherwise you will be upset at the temps later on. Oh, that huge Noctura may also do fine. The d15 or something.

Thinking about it the Noctura may be a better fit , as easier to fit more cases. This one:

Reactions: Drazick

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Here is the deal. If you get the 3950x, count on at a minimum, a 280mm AIO, and some case are hard to fit those. Otherwise you will be upset at the temps later on. Oh, that huge Noctura may also do fine. The d15 or something.

Yeah i got plans for a D15 no matter the choice, no problems spending the coin on that :) I would be shocked if anyone bought either chip and ran anything else but a D15 at minimum. I would think such a cooler would be a obvious choice at the very minimum.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah i got plans for a D15 no matter the choice, no problems spending the coin on that :) I would be shocked if anyone bought either chip and ran anything else but a D15 at minimum. I would think such a cooler would be a obvious choice at the very minimum.
Well, my 3900x's are on 240mm AIO, and my 3950x is on a 280mm AIO. But if one of those goes, I will get the Noctura.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Well, my 3900x's are on 240mm AIO, and my 3950x is on a 280mm AIO. But if one of those goes, I will get the Noctura.

Yeah i would run something like a aio if i needed to, i would prefer air and at least from what i understand the 3900x is relatively easier to cool with such a air cooler?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah i would run something like a aio if i needed to, i would prefer air and at least from what i understand the 3900x is relatively easier to cool with such a air cooler?
With that cooler ? either one will be just fine..... You just get a little better binning, and 4 more cores. Its all up to the money.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
With that cooler ? either one will be just fine..... You just get a little better binning, and 4 more cores. Its all up to the money.

Yeah i prefer the extra cores, no placement for displacement. The extra few things i need to cut out on budget to afford the 3950x i could get in a few weeks like D15 and MP600 1tb nvme . The lower then avg boost compared to 3900x bugged me but idk i feel more compelled to getting the 3950x over the 3900x still. Would be the first time i spent over $500 on a cpu since i got into this hobby since 2006. i find it still worth it dollar wise.

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Hi, I'm new to AMD Ryzen, when you say 1.0.0.3ABBA, is this included in the bios or AMD driver?

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Sounds like a bad version anyways i still be steering clear of it :) You may wanna do the same.
I understand, say we use older versions of bios, for higher performance
Now, I have MSI x570 meg, but I guess it's the same, because I also detected other problems with newer bios

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, guys, I learned something today. So my renters new 3800x system would not post. You hit the power button and fans spin for just a nano-second. Then nothing After 2hours of the usual (start with the motherboard out of the case, then add things in one by one), the problem was NOT an extra post, but a missing one ! 8 posts and 7 of those screwed in. After 2 hours, and all 9 posts there and screwed in, works perfectly.

Ever had that one ?

• Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
OK, guys, I learned something today. So my renters new 3800x system would not post. You hit the power button and fans spin for just a nano-second. Then nothing After 2hours of the usual (start with the motherboard out of the case, then add things in one by one), the problem was NOT an extra post, but a missing one ! 8 posts and 7 of those screwed in. After 2 hours, and all 9 posts there and screwed in, works perfectly.

Ever had that one ?

Had a motherboard not post once for ages, idk why i kept the board and later on went over it. I found this small tiny bit of dirt i guess in one of the ram slots, i dislodged it and the board up and worked! Was a very tiny piece of dirt/dust but yeah it was enough. I assume maybe iron or something metallic of nature was in the dust and caused a short.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
This was all new hardware. 3800x and MSI MEG X570 something. And 3200 ram. With my EVGA 850 psu, and we first tried a Corsair 650.

Makes no sense to me unless the board was counting on grounding, but it worked fine in the OPEN air !

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
This was all new hardware. 3800x and MSI MEG X570 something. And 3200 ram. With my EVGA 850 psu, and we first tried a Corsair 650.

Makes no sense to me unless the board was counting on grounding, but it worked fine in the OPEN air !

That is weird, one for the ages. Right up there with my dust issue and actually a odd issue i got with my Asrock Z270 Killer AC SLI where when i adjust oc settings and reboot, my usb ports won't work till another complete reboot. This board is a stinker ocer for sure, i get 4.5ghz all core on this 7700k and its at stock settings. How or why its applying this oc is behind this realm. This thing if anything on this green earth has some kind of sorcery to it.

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Ever had that one ?
I have, very recently. Something to do with grounding.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Yes, but then why did it work perfectly sitting in the open air insulated by styrofoam ?
That I cannot answer. Just that the situation was similar to yours. Ryzen 2600 in an ASUS motherboard would not post at all. But all I did was add the last motherboard screw and it fired right up. Hadn't ever seen that before, but had seen it mentioned online somewhere, so what the heck. I'll try it. And it worked. Computer runs fine, works great with no problems at all.

• Wow
Reactions: CHADBOGA