AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
During Blender Benchmark (quick and full), the CPU temperature was 80 something Celsius. I think under 85 Celsius.

Okay, that's not too terribly bad.

Edit:
Ah, and when I run Prime95 with LLC set as Mode 1, I did not also had that -0.1V offset anymore.

I previously reverted it to Auto (I restored the BIOS to defaults) and I wanted to first try only with LLC set at Mode 1.
I did not expect to last that long without errors. After that 28 minutes run it was too late to try another test with the voltage offset.

Ah okay. I highly recommend you use LLC 1 and the -.1v offset together to see if it can stabilize. Those are my day-to-day settings on a 3900x. With 1.0.0.3ABBA it gives overall good boost performance, and it tames the sadly high voltages the default boost behavior provides to the CPU in MT workloads. For some reason, it's far too enthusiastic with the voltage. Also be sure to compare CBR20 scores with and without the offset to make sure you aren't getting clock stretching. If you are, you might have to reduce the offset somewhat.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Can you try the latest Prime95 Small FFTs (without disabling AVX/AVX2) and with 12 workers on that PC and report the results (if you get errors or not and what temperatures you have - temperatures as reported by Ryzen Master)?

X570 boards are out of the question. I won't pay more for the motherboard than for the CPU.

Interesting. No review of Artic Freezer 34 eSports I saw or read mentioned the small size of the base.

Well, the Freezer 34 "covers" it, but, not the whole CPU IHS.

Also, a Gammaxx 400 is ~ $20 and the Freezer 34 is ~ $34 (on Newegg).

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Turned it on first time but in BIOS only half of RAM is shown. Didn't install windows yet due to that.

What are my options?

It's 2x16gb sticks maybe that is the issue? first update bios?
Or is there a setting that might help before i go through all the other steps with single stick in different channels (note: yes the stick are installed in the slots according to the manual)

EDIT:

Probabyl wrongly seated. Don't know. tried both sticks alone, both worked. Then tried both together again and now I get full 32gb shown in bios.

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Finally got ABBA installed on my Phantom Gaming ITX. It turned on PBO and AutoOC back on so I figured I would give it another try.

Idle was around 35-36c.

Started Prime95.

Clocked up to 4.15GHz all core settled at 4.09 for the most part.

The kicker is temps stayed aroun 65-71c. It also stays within Max power draw.

Voltage stayed around 1.35v

This is significantly better then the same test with launch Bios. Mine started around 4.1 and thermally throttled at 90c till it hit an equalibrium at about 4GHz. Pretty impressed.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's been much cooler and drier here for the last week or so and now my 3700X is staying at a more reasonable temp under load.

I've overclocked the heck out of my Vega on water and the temps don't even come close to the CPU though; still considering a different block but to be honest I don't feel like ripping it all apart again so soon. Maybe if I get bored but there's too many games I want to play on the PC this fall.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Which Prime95 test and how long did you run it? Any errors?

Which CPU and what cooler?
Sorry I noted it last time I brought it up. Ran it for 15 minutes or so. I will do a longer test longer but I was shutting down the system. Monday night before I get back to it.

Configuration is
AMD Ryzen R9 3900x
32GB of DDR4 3200 (B-Die, Dual Dual Rake chips).
Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming ITX (with TB).
Radeon VII
Silverston SX800-LTI
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Front mounted H100i, with 2x Noctua 120x25 (additional one in the rear as exhaust).
Sabrent PCIe 4.0 1TB SSD
Seagate Iron Wolf 10TB HDD.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I had the system running with xmp profile but then wanted to improve ram timings using dram calculator and now nothing works.

I clear cmos, bios shows up again. Then I change the date, nothing else. Save and exit and doesn't reboot. have to reset cmos again with2400mhz ram. literally I only set the date.

Any thoughts?

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
UEFI might be corrupted. You may have to reflash it.

yeah that solved it. thanks!

EDIT:
gosh.will stick to xmp. every time timings doesn't work I have to repeat the whole process of reflashing and then changing all the settings again. doesn't help that the also are in hex. wtf?

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
yeah that solved it. thanks!

EDIT:
gosh.will stick to xmp. every time timings doesn't work I have to repeat the whole process of reflashing and then changing all the settings again. doesn't help that the also are in hex. wtf?

Only problem I see with XMP is that it can do some goofy stuff on its own. But I can't argue that reflashing your system every time mem settings are bad is acceptable. Which board are you using again?

Also if you don't like messing with the hexadecimals in your UEFI, you could always try tweaking RAM through Ryzen Master. Just be advised that once you go that route, you can't change certain things in your UEFI anymore (notably SoC voltage, VDDP, VDDG, and some other crap), at least without . . . reflashing the UEFI.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
I went back from my Corsair H100i Pro RGB to H110i for my 3900X

20190924_181121.jpg

to this

20191012_141723.jpg

I am a happier man now.
The H100i is way too loud.
Occasionally I would hit 78 degrees on the 240 mm AIO with my 3900X
I switched to my old 280 H110i AIO and the temps under all core full load is 71 degrees.
The fans are not spinning hard so they suck less dust and way way quieter. One of the fans is in push pull configuration.
All are static pressure optimized SP140 fans

Dang.., these 7nm chips gets hot really fast.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Only problem I see with XMP is that it can do some goofy stuff on its own. But I can't argue that reflashing your system every time mem settings are bad is acceptable. Which board are you using again?

Asus rog strix-e. Not sure if it's the board or me...latency is 75ns with xmp. (aida) (3200mhz cl16)

Also if you don't like messing with the hexadecimals in your UEFI, you could always try tweaking RAM through Ryzen Master. Just be advised that once you go that route, you can't change certain things in your UEFI anymore (notably SoC voltage, VDDP, VDDG, and some other crap), at least without . . . reflashing the UEFI.

Can I change it before and it remains? albeit for now I'm not in the mood to even try. My idea would be to undervolt and not OC.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Asus rog strix-e. Not sure if it's the board or me...latency is 75ns with xmp. (aida) (3200mhz cl16)

Hmm. Might want to confer with other owners of the same board to see if they're experiencing a lot of UEFI corruption.

Can I change it before and it remains? albeit for now I'm not in the mood to even try. My idea would be to undervolt and not OC.

If you change CPU settings with Ryzen Master, nothing is permanently locked to Ryzen Master. If you change RAM settings . . . only a few will be locked to only Ryzen Master (VDDG, VDDP, and vSoC are the b ig ones that I remember). In fact most of the RAM timings themselves can still be changed in UEFI however you like. It's a lot of the voltage settings that ryzen Master wants to control exclusively.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
If you change CPU settings with Ryzen Master, nothing is permanently locked to Ryzen Master. If you change RAM settings . . . only a few will be locked to only Ryzen Master (VDDG, VDDP, and vSoC are the b ig ones that I remember). In fact most of the RAM timings themselves can still be changed in UEFI however you like. It's a lot of the voltage settings that ryzen Master wants to control exclusively.

Thanks for info.

At this point I think I'm leaving it as is for the time being and first solve all remaining usability issues not really ryzen related:

- monitor doesn't turn off. It gets black but is till on and not in sleep
- headphone jack on my keyboard is in mono (only right channel) active

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
headphone jack on my keyboard is in mono (only right channel) active
Is it really a head PHONE jack, or a head SET jack?

Headphones, have stereo output + GND (L + R + GND)
Headset jacks, are designed for those older telco-oriented headsets, with mono output, input, and GND.

I don't know if they have a newer standard for gaming headsets these days with four conductors, L+R+input+GND, most gaming headsets these days have separate analog L+R+GND (headphone jack), and input+GND (mic jack) (on front panel of cases), OR, they're BT (BlueTooth).

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Only problem I see with XMP is that it can do some goofy stuff on its own. But I can't argue that reflashing your system every time mem settings are bad is acceptable.

Now thinking about that, maybe I'm the clueless idiot. So before manual OC, I should probably deactivate xmp (DOCP in asus bios)? Which I didn't do.

I should try again but currently even "safe" settings according to dram calculator fail and requires cmos reset and reflash...And next time I get a board with a clear cmos button...

Is it really a head PHONE jack, or a head SET jack?

Simply meant the "standard" 3.5mm jack. but it has been solved. My bad. Culprit was default win10 drivers. Installing realtek drivers solved the issue.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Now thinking about that, maybe I'm the clueless idiot. So before manual OC, I should probably deactivate xmp (DOCP in asus bios)? Which I didn't do.

I should try again but currently even "safe" settings according to dram calculator fail and requires cmos reset and reflash...And next time I get a board with a clear cmos button...

Yeah disable XMP and go back to bone stock before you tweak your RAM. If you are having problems with the DRAM calculator, do what I did:

1). Use calculator to find "fast" settings for DDR4-3xxx, where 3xxx is maybe two steps above where you want to actually clock (example, get settings for DDR4-3333 when you want to run 3200).
2). Input settings, but set clockspeed two steps lower than what you use in the DRAM calculator.

And viola! It will probably work out pretty well. Maybe. The DRAM calculator has a pretty good idea of how to set up timings for your RAM, but it is sometimes clueless about the clockspeed. You can get a little more aggressive if you want to dump more vDIMM on your DIMMs. Try not to go past 1.45v or so. Actually I'm not sure about any of these newer DIMMS since some of them might be more sensitive to voltage. I've been using b-die that can handle 1.45v all day long, and sometimes more if the airflow is there.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah I've seen a few 1.5v kits. That's probably some leftover b-die Corsair hasn't sold yet. The stupid part is that you probably won't get any performance running DDR4-5000 on a Ryzen 3000 system over, say, DDR4-3800 thanks to async mode.

Personally I've never pushed more than 1.46v through my DDR4 (which is what I'm using now).

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I would love to hear you guys take on Ryzen 3xxx and memory. I got the cheapest DDR4-3200 32Gig kit I could find, but I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Planning to make the purchase today, but some questions still linger:

3600 for $189

5700 reference (XFX two year warranty) - plan to target efficiency if any mods done - $290 seems reasonable for the performance

This will pop onto a Gigabyte DS3H B450 board, with 2 x 8GB G.skill Trident 3200 / CL16 RAM, and an m.2 SSD (Intel 660p, damn cheap for the performance and 1TB).

What changes would you make, if any?

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
That motherboard needs a newer BIOS to support Zen 2. Probably the ones sold now are up to date, but if not, you will need an older CPU to update de BIOS first.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
That motherboard needs a newer BIOS to support Zen 2. Probably the ones sold now are up to date, but if not, you will need an older CPU to update de BIOS first.
Already running a 2200G on it, latest BIOS installed, should be OK to go.

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
My 3700X runs like a dream.

3700X @ 4.1 ghz on alll cores
33C idle and 70C full load stress test
Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 chip
32GB Ripjaws 3600mhz

Hitting 7000 in PCmark 10. Over 5000 in CB20.

Reactions: lightmanek