Question AMD Rembrandt/Zen 3+ APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019
Alright, so we've had some leaks so far. I don't know if any of it's been confirmed yet, as it's pretty early, but here is what I've surmised so far (massive grain of salt of course):

If if turns out to have RDNA 2 and 12 CU, I could see iGPU performance potentially almost doubling over Cezanne.

If I've made any mistakes or gotten anything wrong, please let me know. I'd also love to hear more knowledgeable people weigh in on their expectations.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
well, after waitng for 2 1/2 months for my 13 inch 6800u system to be shipped, I just (accidentally) got 2 different systems coming, a
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 15.6" Laptop, mentioned above and a

with a 6850 and a 680m video and 16 GB LPDDR5-6400MHz

vs the other is

• AMD Ryzen 7 6800H 3.2GHz Processor
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR5-4800 RAM
  • 512GB Solid State Drive
Which should I keep ? 6800H is $770 (shipped) and the 6850U is $1138.

I should add, my primary use for this is battery life and "snappyness", NO GAMING.

Last edited:

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I'm assuming the 6850U is more portable, but if neither is touch or 2-in-1, to me at least that wouldn't matter as much. Personally, unless there's an Achilles heal in the 6800H system (like a terrible display), I'd keep that given the price difference, and perhaps if portability is big concern maybe look at a Phoenix-based ultra portable (Yoga, Spectre type) when those come to market.

If they're already shipped though, may as well make your final decision after you've had time to play around a bit with each one. There's more to a laptop than a spec sheet and a price after all.

Reactions: moinmoin

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
With the new AMD Mobile naming system the just announced 7520U is a Zen2 4C8T APU, a hypothetical 7350U would be a 4C8T Zen4 APU and most likely faster.

AMD didn't do a quad core model for Rembrandt mobile (probably saving it for AM5... eventually...) but there wouldn't be overlap because Rembrandt is also specified to be 15-28 W whereas Mendocino is 8-15. Maybe that'll be the same with Zen 4.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, after the second delayed shipment, I cancelled the 6850h. To hell with Lenovo. Too bad it was probably the better laptop.

Jul 27, 2020
To hell with Lenovo.
If you just want a decent laptop, here's one: HP ENVY 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop AMD Ryzen 7 8GB Memory 512GB SSD Nightfall Black 15m-eu0043dx - Best Buy

HP ENVY x360 Convert 15m-eu0043dx Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Best thing about it is the display:
15.6" diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080), multitouch-enabled, IPS, edge-to-edge glass, micro-edge, Corning® Gorilla® Glass NBT™, 400 nits, 100% sRGB

It's also pretty thin.

Other choices:

HP OMEN 16.1" Gaming Laptop AMD Ryzen 7 6800 16GB Memory AMD Radeon RX 6650M 1TB SSD Mica Silver 16-n0033dx - Best Buy

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 15.6" FHD 144Hz Gaming Laptop-AMD Ryzen 7-8GB DDR5 Memory-NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti-512GB PCIe SSD FA507RE-A15.R73050T - Best Buy

Zen3+ is hard to find, unless you are willing to go on Ali Express. If you do decide to order from there, choose a laptop with Ali Express Direct Shipping. Then you have 99% chance of getting the order not messed up.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It gets better... AFTER I cancelled it, it still says order delayed, but now it will be here Next Tuesday ,, as I got a UPS ship notice ! Before the one from Micro center ! So now I will have 2, to play with and decide.

Edit: I just looked. at 5:02 pm I got an email saying it was delayed. at 8:01 pm I got this "Hi Mark, Your package is on the way! From LENOVO Scheduled Delivery Monday 09/26/2022 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM Track Your Package "

Last edited:

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022
With the new AMD Mobile naming system the just announced 7520U is a Zen2 4C8T APU, a hypothetical 7350U would be a 4C8T Zen4 APU and most likely faster.
Zen4-based mobile parts are xy40 and xy45 (followed by U, HS and HX). xy50 would be Zen5.

No idea how they'll package Phoenix Point dies yet, or if there will be any big variations. If there are, 4C/8T may be a thing, otherwise neah.
2 years from now, if N5 becomes "good enough" for low end, a Zen4 Mendocino successor may be a thing. But that'll be called something like 9240U-9540U anyway.

I wonder if Barcelo (Cezanne refresh) will make it into 2023 7xyz lineup. What would it even be called? 5825U -> 7730U? What about Rembrandt? 6800U -> 7735? Way to close for comfort (especially considering the GCN5 to RDNA2 leap). Even if they bump up clocks/perfect the silicon, that would still be too misleading.

*Hmmm they wrote this about it:
  1. Feature Isolation: A concession to architectures like “Zen 3” versus “Zen 3+,” which cannot be fully articulated in the architecture digit alone. Flipping this digit between 0 or 5 ensures that two different architectures don’t end up in the same Ryzen 70xx family.
So xy30 -> Zen3 ->Cezanne/Barcelo
xy35 -> Zen3+ ->Rembrandt

Does that also apply to Zen4?
xy40 -> Phoenix Point
xy45 -> Dragon Range
Or is that something else?
I like the naming reshuffle idea overall, and no doubt it will give them a boost marketing-wise, but the execution is not amazing, in some aspects (x8yz can be both Ryzen 7 AND 9? C'mon!)

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Wow, three months remaining in 2022 and not a single Rembrandt-U laptop in my country except for a stupidly priced ASUS Zenbook OLED on one e-tailer with a redacted track record when it comes to expensive electronic items.

GG AMD. You and your OEM partners' execution sucks.

No profanity allowed in the tech forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ahimsa42 and RnR_au

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Good for you I suppose? But let's not pretend that availability in this 2022 launch cycle has been great. Same thing will happen next year.
Availability here is actually better than Cezanne last year. What's vastly different is the amount of model choices and price range. Also it seemed to me that Cezanne and Renoir before it were actually constantly selling out. But all that is a different discussion than availability as is. Just saying in Germany Rembrandt including U series laptops have been readily available for several months now, if you don't mind the choices and prices. (I know you do.) That's all.

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
Wow, three months remaining in 2022 and not a single Rembrandt-U laptop in my country except for a stupidly priced ASUS Zenbook OLED on one e-tailer with a shitty track record when it comes to expensive electronic items.

GG AMD. You and your OEM partners' execution sucks.
i don't think that it's a case of poor execution but instead AMD obviously considers U based laptop consumers to be of zero importance in their business model. if this is still the case at the end of 2022 then there is little hope that things will ever improve with 6800U's. 6800U availabilty is so bad that i am rooting for intel to come out with a laptop apu which has a decent igpu. if/when they do i will purchase a non amd pc for the first time ever since unlike AMD they will very likely be widely available.

Reactions: tamz_msc

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
i don't think that it's a case of poor execution but instead AMD obviously considers U based laptop consumers to be of zero importance in their business model. if this is still the case at the end of 2022 then there is little hope that things will ever improve with 6800U's. 6800U availabilty is so bad that i am rooting for intel to come out with a laptop apu which has a decent igpu. if/when they do i will purchase a non amd pc for the first time ever since unlike AMD they will very likely be widely available.
Meteor Lake is sometime in 2H 2023. Hopefully its iGPU is competent according to the rumors.

Reactions: ahimsa42

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Meteor Lake is sometime in 2H 2023. Hopefully its iGPU is competent according to the rumors.
Who cares about meteor lake, this is a Zen 3 thread.

Anyway, I got my 6850U laptop today, but too busy to mess with it, with buying Zen 4 stuff and posting about it, and deal with trolls like tamz_msc.

Will post about it later. Anything specifically you want to know ?

• Love
Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Anything specifically you want to know ?
Will you keep Windows on it? If not, can you run PES on it before you replace it? Much appreciated!

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017

Anyway, I got my 6850U laptop today, but too busy to mess with it, with buying Zen 4 stuff and posting about it, and deal with trolls like tamz_msc.
Take it easy mate, there is a person behind the account, it is healthier for everyone if you don't feel compelled to deal with forum posters on a personal level.

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
a long time to wait but there is not much choice. by then no one will be able to buy phoenix point

Will post about it later. Anything specifically you want to know ?
i think more & more lifetime AMD fans may look to intel for laptops if price & lack of availability continue to be so poor. it does not matter how great a product may be if consumers cannot actually purchase what they want at a reasonable price.

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
Availability here is actually better than Cezanne last year. What's vastly different is the amount of model choices and price range. Also it seemed to me that Cezanne and Renoir before it were actually constantly selling out. But all that is a different discussion than availability as is. Just saying in Germany Rembrandt including U series laptops have been readily available for several months now, if you don't mind the choices and prices. (I know you do.) That's all.
don't mind the lack of choices & high prices? why would anyone buy a product which does not suit their needs for too much money?

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
don't mind the lack of choices & high prices? why would anyone buy a product which does not suit their needs for too much money?
Nobody would or should. We just have to come to term with the fact that apparently we currently are not part of AMD's and/or the OEM's target audience so just aren't being served anything Rembrandt right now.

Just pointing out there's a difference between "there are no pears" and "there's a multitude of pears but the pears I actually want isn't among them".

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
Nobody would or should. We just have to come to term with the fact that apparently we currently are not part of AMD's and/or the OEM's target audience so just aren't being served anything Rembrandt right now.

Just pointing out there's a difference between "there are no pears" and "there's a multitude of pears but the pears I actually want isn't among them".
when you factor in the insane prices & extremely limited options, there really is no practical difference between the two imo.