Question AMD Rembrandt/Zen 3+ APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019
Alright, so we've had some leaks so far. I don't know if any of it's been confirmed yet, as it's pretty early, but here is what I've surmised so far (massive grain of salt of course):

If if turns out to have RDNA 2 and 12 CU, I could see iGPU performance potentially almost doubling over Cezanne.

If I've made any mistakes or gotten anything wrong, please let me know. I'd also love to hear more knowledgeable people weigh in on their expectations.

Last edited:

FangBLade

Apr 13, 2022
I'm waiting for lenovo ideapad gaming 3 2022 model, i can't find it in europe, HP victus 16 is avilable but it has crap screen (45% ntsc). I hope we will see more models by the end of the year, black friday would be perfect opportunity to buy 6000 series laptop.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
certainly not into consumer laptops-AMD is starting to promote phoenix already and we can't even find a decent rembrant laptop in the US.

A quick search on Best Buy returns several laptops. Or are you referring to the 'U' chips? Note that the U chips did not launch in January, they just launched a few months ago. Next gen U chips are still around 9 months out. The 'H' chips are what launched in January. AMD had a slide with timelines, I will see if I can find it.

EDIT: I was hoping for the 6980hs personally. So far it is MIA.

Jul 27, 2020
The naming scheme is a little weird; that being said, it seems like AMD is doing a fine job of selling Rembrandt to someone. God only knows where those APUs are really going, though.
Those APUs are ending up in Lenovo laptops at boring offices with employees who have absolutely NO NEED for an APU.

Weird thing about our world is that stuff ends up in the hands of folks who need them the least. Want to see where all the food for Africa went? Just walk outside in any decent country and count the number of obese people and extrapolate the total obesity percentage from that. Humans with good health are designed to survive at least three days without food but a lot of parents condition their children to overeat because it somehow ensures their "survival".

Reactions: Tlh97 and Lodix

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
A quick search on Best Buy returns several laptops. Or are you referring to the 'U' chips? Note that the U chips did not launch in January, they just launched a few months ago. Next gen U chips are still around 9 months out. The 'H' chips are what launched in January. AMD had a slide with timelines, I will see if I can find it.

The H and the U chips were announced at the same time.

You can find plenty of Rembrandt laptops out there. They are however mostly dGPU laptops starring Ampere though.

Reactions: Tlh97 and ahimsa42

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Those APUs are ending up in Lenovo laptops at boring offices with employees who have absolutely NO NEED for an APU.

Weird thing about our world is that stuff ends up in the hands of folks who need them the least. Want to see where all the food for Africa went? Just walk outside in any decent country and count the number of obese people and extrapolate the total obesity percentage from that. Humans with good health are designed to survive at least three days without food but a lot of parents condition their children to overeat because it somehow ensures their "survival".

GPUs are used for more than just games. Microsoft Defender uses the GPU to accelerate virus scans. Windows uses the GPU for various tasks as well.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

You can find plenty of Rembrandt laptops out there. They are however mostly dGPU laptops starring Ampere though.

They were announced, but not launched. AMD showed a slide containing a timeline back in May. HX dropped first. Then U, then HS (the last two might be flipped). I believe the U series had a 'June' launch date.

EDIT: I was looking for the slide, I found this first:
AMD Ryzen™ 7 6800U Mobile Processor | AMD

Indicates the CPU launched mid April. That means it has been available to OEMs for 5 months or so.

EDIT: And from what I can tell, only the 6800U and 6600U have launched thus far.

Jul 27, 2020
GPUs are used for more than just games. Microsoft Defender uses the GPU to accelerate virus scans. Windows uses the GPU for various tasks as well.
My point was that most of those employees couldn't care less that they have a hard-to-find APU in their laptop. See Nancy over there in accounting? Joe in marketing? Adrian in HR? They wouldn't be able to figure out what the APU acronym stands for even if their life depended on it. In fact, they better say bye bye to their puppy because that's what some angry AMD gamer is going to point to next after threatening the human with the APU they salivated for, waited for and went over the APU specs gazillion times in the middle of their cold, lonely nights :D

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
They were announced, but not launched. AMD showed a slide containing a timeline back in May. HX dropped first. Then U, then HS (the last two might be flipped). I believe the U series had a 'June' launch date.

Indicates the CPU launched mid April. That means it has been available to OEMs for 5 months or so.

EDIT: And from what I can tell, only the 6800U and 6600U have launched thus far.
I have a 6800U laptop that was supposed to ship July 7th from Lenovo. Well, here it is Sep 8th, and the ship date slips one day, every day, its really getting old. NO laptop after 2 months.

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016

agreed-there are not only very limited 6800U laptops but they are also only available with 13-14" screens & i have not seen a 15-16" 6800U yet. if i was interested in buying a laptop with a dgpu i would just get an AM4 cezzane & save a ton of $.

majord

Jul 26, 2015

and the pro's ( 6850U and 6650U)

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Boring offices buy in bulk, and boring office employees can definitely benefit from long battery life and snappy performance. Which Rembrandt-U will give you. The iGPU just means that the boring company (no, not the Boring Company) that runs said boring office can mass-order a custom sku with no dGPU, reducing unit costs and (probably) improving battery life even further without crippling boring office employeess experiences while using said laptops.

Reactions: Tlh97
Jul 27, 2020
Oh... and that means the HS cpu's haven't even launched yet... https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-6800HS

6800HS available.

Reactions: RnR_au

Markfw

May 16, 2002

6800HS available.
$1903 in the US. But its more than twice what my 6800U cost and the only thing other than the CPU is a 2 inch larger screen. Is the 6900HS that much faster than the 6800U ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
6900HS appears in multimedia/gaming laptops whereas 6800U is more of a workhorse laptop CPU.

In 7-zip, 7% ST and 22% MT advantage over the 6800U for the 6900HS.
most everything appears the same on specs, EXCEPT the CPU and APU both are at higher freq.

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
$1903 in the US. But its more than twice what my 6800U cost and the only thing other than the CPU is a 2 inch larger screen. Is the 6900HS that much faster than the 6800U ?
aside from artificial benchmarks, in real world games & applications you will not notice the difference in performance between a 6800U and a 6900HS.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Markfw