Question AMD Rembrandt/Zen 3+ APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019
Alright, so we've had some leaks so far. I don't know if any of it's been confirmed yet, as it's pretty early, but here is what I've surmised so far (massive grain of salt of course):

If if turns out to have RDNA 2 and 12 CU, I could see iGPU performance potentially almost doubling over Cezanne.

If I've made any mistakes or gotten anything wrong, please let me know. I'd also love to hear more knowledgeable people weigh in on their expectations.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

Alderlake regressed significantly over Tigerlake, which wasn't an advancement either.

I just got myself a Kabylake Y based convertible the Yoga 710 11, for battery life reasons. They made a big, multigenerational leap with Haswell, another with Broadwell. Skylake regressed slightly due to lack of FiVR but brought some novel power management advances. Kabylake with VP9 addressed acceleration for the most popular streaming site - Youtube. Then it was a sidegrade, and regression starting with Icelake.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Alderlake regressed significantly over Tigerlake, which wasn't an advancement either.

I just got myself a Kabylake Y based convertible the Yoga 710 11, for battery life reasons. They made a big, multigenerational leap with Haswell, another with Broadwell. Skylake regressed slightly due to lack of FiVR but brought some novel power management advances. Kabylake with VP9 addressed acceleration for the most popular streaming site - Youtube. Then it was a sidegrade, and regression starting with Icelake.

At low usage on battery the single core boost is the culprit for lower autonomy, according to NBC an RMB s Zen 3+ core use 14-16W when boosted to the max while a GC core use at least 26W .

Seems to me that past Intel mobile SKUs didnt use that much until ICL/TGL where single core power became exageratly high for the actual computing needs.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Seems to me that past Intel mobile SKUs didnt use that much until ICL/TGL where single core power became exageratly high for the actual computing needs.
The trend started earlier with Coffee Lake (4.7Ghz) and Comet Lake (4.9Ghz) but I suspect it wasn't immediately obvious as we weren't really expecting significant battery life improvements there.

Reactions: Tlh97

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
The trend started earlier with Coffee Lake (4.7Ghz) and Comet Lake (4.9Ghz) but I suspect it wasn't immediately obvious as we weren't really expecting significant battery life improvements there.

He's incorrect. Icelake regressed on the power management part. Clocks do not factor into it here at all. C10 state of Icelake is worse than C10 of predecessors.

Also Icelake had phenomenal system idle in tests but regressed on overall battery life slightly. So it can't reach that idle as readily.

Alderlake is the final straw as it also regressed on the idle part. I think Alderlake would have been worse than Broadwell if it wasn't for that other part of the laptop improved. Think that would be a good chunk of their marketshare loss in client.

As a recap,
Haswell was the big one,
Broadwell another significant leap,
Skylake showed regression in one way but brought novel power management to make it up somewhat,
Kabylake with Youtube codec acceleration and further refinement was the peak.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Yeah, its fantastic, assuming that it actually existed in the market...

The 3050l is doing as well as it does because you can actually get it. The threat of the existence of rembrandt keeps the price of the 3050l laptops in check. You best believe that 3050 laptops would be $1000 plus if rembrandt didn't exist.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
For specifically gaming laptops, the 3050 with reasonable thermal and power budget and especially the Ti, is strictly faster than the Rembrandt iGPU in every situation where it doesn't run out of VRAM.

I'm more looking for traditional mostly thin and light laptops that just focus on the iGPU. It would be nice to find a 6800h laptop at a reasonable price, something cheaper than a 6600h with a low wattage 3050, that is a good all arounder.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
THATS where my laptop is, nowhere due to this ! Its 36 days over the original ship date, and still counting. (from Lenovo directly)
OK< lost track of days, but its now 2 months exactly since the original projected ship date, and nothing and no good eta yet !

Edit: Is there anything I can do, like contact the FTC about advertising a product and then not shipping it for over 2 months ? BBB would not work on a corp like Lenovo would it ??

• Wow
Reactions: ZGR

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Sounds like it's stuck in purgatory at this point. Might be easier to drop by a local retailer and see if they happen to have something similar in stock and buy that instead of waiting around.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You clearly misunderstood the point of Rembrandt if you thought it was to hit the low end gaming notebook market.

The big iGPU there is to eat at the much larger MX notebook market.

MX is low end gaming. Now I suspect OEMs might be getting a pretty good deal on the 3050...

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Sounds like it's stuck in purgatory at this point. Might be easier to drop by a local retailer and see if they happen to have something similar in stock and buy that instead of waiting around.
I have a functional laptop that I got in 2014. CPU from 2009. But this would get me updated, and better IGP and lighter, so I jumped at it. But come on... 2 months and counting until ????

Mine is over 5 lbs. This is 2.7 lbs. As my trips to the hospital increase, I want something lighter to lug around. (I am 68, soon to be 69). At first they said it was coming out of the NC wharehouse. So its coming from overseas.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Kaluan

majord

Jul 26, 2015
If you don't mind buying through lenovo, availability seems quite reasonable currently. My 6850U X13 took about 7 days to ship . There were more expensive pre built's available to ship same day. This is AU store though.

Not sure I understand the 3050L comparisons either. It wouldn't matter how good an IGP was, you can always arbitrarily grab a discrete GPU somewhere in the stack and say , look it's faster! , and same applies to price, especially if you take a hit in form factor , weight, quality, battery life, or price (or multiple of above)

Reactions: Tlh97 and Kaluan