Question AMD Rembrandt/Zen 3+ APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

izaic3

Nov 19, 2019
Alright, so we've had some leaks so far. I don't know if any of it's been confirmed yet, as it's pretty early, but here is what I've surmised so far (massive grain of salt of course):

If if turns out to have RDNA 2 and 12 CU, I could see iGPU performance potentially almost doubling over Cezanne.

If I've made any mistakes or gotten anything wrong, please let me know. I'd also love to hear more knowledgeable people weigh in on their expectations.

Last edited:

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
The only thing I buy from Lenovo these days are the absolute cheapest of devices that are covered by the extended warranty on my credit card. They're about average for sub $400 devices with respect to quality, and even have better specced gear then many competitors in some cases. I just don't trust their initial quality and especially their support.
my current 4500U is a lenovo is over 2 years old and so far it it has been stellar without a single issue depsite heavy daily use. i would have no problem buying a 6800U from lenovo. my previous laptop was a 2500U acer and the lenovo is better quality imo.

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
How is the keyboard feel? I've tried the keyboard of some of their budget models. I don't know why they went with those keys. Budget doesn't mean you make someone regret pressing a key.
i have the 14" thinkpad and the keyboard is great- much better than my previous acer which had some of the keys falling off or sticking after a few years. the fingerprint reader also works good-i never could get the acer one to work at all. imo the build quality is top notch and overall, there is nothing i do not like about it other than perhaps the charging port being on the left side instead of the right and that there are only 2 USB ports. the price was right too at just over $500. i was even able to sell my old acer on craigslist for $170.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Which is why I only play in their low end. My youngest daughter and wife have matching $300 i3-1005G1 15" lenovo laptops that have done well for the last year. There are no major issues with them, aside from the finish coming off the plastic around the track pad. They're certainly nothing to write home about, but if they clear the three year mark, then they have certainly been worth the money spent. Both upgraded to Windows 11 without incident and there are no issues with their drivers. What more can you ask? It's their higher end parts where things get dodgy. My son's 4700U flex 5 had a screen fail on him and needed service. We could not get lenovo to repair it through one of their approved repair centers. I eventually bought a third party screen for it and swapped it myself. Their support was a byzantine mess, their supposed support centers were net to useless and had no idea what they could do or how to do it. My closest one was two states away and refused to take mailed parts.

So, no, I don't pay a lot for Lenovo equipment.

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
I have zen3 and zen3 ideapads. Both have been fantastic. Compared to the vomit that is my work dell laptops( not cheap models) .....
actual i was mistaken as i believe have the ideapad also instead of a thinkpad. either way, i am more than satisified with it-of course i never had to contact customer support which sounds like may be a major weak point for lenovo.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
actual i was mistaken as i believe have the ideapad also instead of a thinkpad. either way, i am more than satisified with it-of course i never had to contact customer support which sounds like may be a major weak point for lenovo.
Thinkpad is way better than Ideapad, but both does their works properly.

Reactions: izaic3

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The old one is a PROBOOK 4540S, and its an I5 something. It came out in 2009. But I bought it in 2014 when I had my second open heart surgury. It still works, but you have to plug in the AC adapter for a few minutes before it will post. I don't think I replaced it too early., even though I hardly ever use it.

2009! That thing has lasted longer than many people's pets. It's had a good life, but clearly time to put it into sleep mode.

Reactions: lightmanek

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Construction, keyboard and corporate features, warranty possibilities.
Yeah, i wouldn't say thinkpad's are better construction, they are just a different market. I would agree that they would have a higher mean time between failure, but i don't see the construction is better to the higher end ideapad's. ideapads have more interesting configurations, thinkpads have enterprise "features".

At work we used to use thinkpads before switching to dell, the difference is night and day between the two, thinkpads where/are just so much better. My ideapad pro has very good construction and configuration for the price i paid, except i dont understand why they put such terrible speakers in it given the feature set/quality of everything else.

i feel this review is pretty representative

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Yeah, i wouldn't say thinkpad's are better construction, they are just a different market. I would agree that they would have a higher mean time between failure, but i don't see the construction is better to the higher end ideapad's. ideapads have more interesting configurations, thinkpads have enterprise "features".

At work we used to use thinkpads before switching to dell, the difference is night and day between the two, thinkpads where/are just so much better. My ideapad pro has very good construction and configuration for the price i paid, except i dont understand why they put such terrible speakers in it given the feature set/quality of everything else.

i feel this review is pretty representative

Yeah, Ideapads seem to have gone a long way.
They most annoying thing with thinkpads is that proper screens will be expensive options, they are often by default in ideapads, huh.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Yeah, Ideapads seem to have gone a long way.
They most annoying thing with thinkpads is that proper screens will be expensive options, they are often by default in ideapads, huh.

Yes, that is weird. Could it be the better panels are less robust? Or perhaps it's just to save on the BOM somewhere.

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Kinda makes sense. Enterprise doesn't care if their workers enjoy the screen or not but regular folks will complain about the quality of the screen.

Not true with machines like Pxx which are supposed to be graphics oriented workstations. Sheet screens but expensive options.

My HP envy has full sRGB (really bare minimum IMO) stock, 5800U and quite acceptbale keyboard.
Sorry Lenovo, you lost.

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
I just got an email on the delay. Now they say up to 30 days.....

Their exact text:

Order Placed: 07/04/2022
There has been a change to the estimated ship date for one or more items in your order, and we are unable to ship them by the original date promised.
We are working hard to get your order shipped as soon as possible, and it will ship within the next 30 days. We will send you an email as soon as it’s shipped. Click below to view the latest status information for your order.
I see multiple folks on different forums complain their shipping date has been delayed almost up to a month. It happens when there is a deluge of orders.

Jul 27, 2020
Still can't find ANY Ryzen 6000 laptops in Australian stores.
I've seen these new laptops selling on Indian online stores, especially HP India. Guess they think they will make more money there or selling there first as a sort of trial (like Intel is doing in China for ARC) before they roll out in western markets.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Still can't find ANY Ryzen 6000 laptops in Australian stores.

There is plenty of 12th gen laptops P and U series and also M2 laptops instores. This has always been the problem with AMD laptops too slow to roll out.
The HP Elitebook 835 has been released here since beginning of last month, but supplies are now thin. Been looking for a 32GB 6800 sku of some sort, but yeah nothing in AU :(

Last edited:

tomatosummit

Mar 21, 2019
The HP Elitebook 835 has been released here since beginning of last month, but supplies are now thin. Been looking for a 32GB 6800 sku of some sort, but yeah nothing in AU :(
Similar story in the UK
The 835/845 g8 is still armed with only 5850 cpus as is the case with the thinkpad E gen4s. The business laptops are getting updated with new numbers so far.
There are plenty of 6000cpus if you want to pair it with a dgpu and angled black plastic.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
interesting experiment maxing out the 6800U-it's more for mini PC's as opposed to thremally limited laptops.

6800u is the 15-28W target part - sticking a Heatsink on it and cramming in 50 W doesn't mean its meant for miniPC, and unsuitable for thermally limited laptops. 6800h is the same part sold for higher power.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-6800u (15-28W)
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-6800h (45W)

Eventually we will get the Consumer DIY 6700G, with 65W power target.

They are all the same chip, just targetted at different power envelopes, usually the lower power ones cost more, so for a miniPC, I would want a 6800H or 6700G.

Last edited:

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
6800u is the 15-28W target part - sticking a Heatsink on it and cramming in 50 W doesn't mean its meant for miniPC, and unsuitable for thermally limited laptops. 6800h is the same part sold for higher power.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-6800u (15-28W)
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-6800h (45W)

Eventually we will get the Consumer DIY 6700G, with 65W power target.

They are all the same chip, just targetted at different power envelopes, usually the lower power ones cost more, so for a miniPC, I would want a 6800H or 6700G.
the videp was not suggesting that the 6800U is unsuitable for laptops-instead it was a test of it's limits. all of the pre-built mini's i have seen use U or H chips & i may be wrong but the H versions seem to be priced higher than the U versions.